• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Most educated zip code in America

jtmnkri

Cyburbian
I recently made a deposit on a pre-construction condo in Jersey City, New Jersey. I was doing some research on the neighborhood, Newport-Pavonia, and somewhere I read it is the best educated zip code in America.

So I went to one of my favorite websites - factfinder.census.gov - and typed in the Newport-Pavonia zip code, 07310. "Population 25 years or higher bachelor's degree higher" = 76.5%. This is ironic because Jersey City public schools are so bad, in 1989 Jersey City became the 1st public school district in the United States to be taken over by a state government.

I typed in some other ones: 90210 = 55.5%; 02139 (location of Harvard and MIT) = 62.7%. Finally, I found one - actually located in my town: 07078 (Short Hills, NJ) = 79.2%. Then I found a list of the richest zip codes in the US. One in Berkeley, CA, was on there - 94707 = 80.0%.

Anyway, the US has >33,000 zip codes so I don't have time to search them all. Does anyone know a zip code with a higher educated population than 94707?

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
60043 Kenilworth, IL
88.9% Bachelor's Degree or Higher

This is a small north-shore suburb of Chicago of about 2,000...I believe the avg. house costs $1M.

jtmnkri

Cyburbian
illinoisplanner said:
60043 Kenilworth, IL

This is a small north-shore suburb of Chicago of about 2,000...I believe the avg. house costs $1M.
Wow, that place is crazy

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
jtmnkri said:
Wow, that place is crazy
Yeah. The heart of Chicago's premier North Shore suburbs. It only wins because it's so small in size. I wonder if any other place in the U.S. tops that.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
illinoisplanner said:
Yeah. The heart of Chicago's premier North Shore suburbs. It only wins because it's so small in size. I wonder if any other place in the U.S. tops that.
Where I'm at it is 24.4% whoah hoah. I wonder what the lowest would be?

noottamevas

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
Where I'm at it is 24.4% whoah hoah. I wonder what the lowest would be?
Are you sure you didn't look at the US average? Mattoon is 14.8%, what a bunch of dumba$$es:r: That explains a lot:-c

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
savemattoon said:
Mattoon is 14.8%, what a bunch of dumba$$es:r: That explains a lot:-c
Try Kalkaska, Michigan, zip code 49646, with 9.5% of the population with a bachelors degree. Can anyone find a place that's lower?!

jmello

Cyburbian
Cambridge, MA 02142 = 89.3%

Cambridge, MA 02163 = 89.4%

Waban (Newton), MA 02468 = 81.5%

jordanb

Cyburbian
jtmnkri said:
Wow, that place is crazy
Kenilworth is Chicago's Old Money ghetto. It's the most exclusive address in the metropolis. Probably every single family in that town is a trustee at some Ivy League.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I live in Cambridge, MA. The percentage who have gone to college is close to 90%. Someone was surprised that Harvard's zip code (02139) was lower... but there are a ton of undergrads living there, so that's probably why.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
Try Kalkaska, Michigan, zip code 49646, with 9.5% of the population with a bachelors degree. Can anyone find a place that's lower?!
Los Angeles has some places that are lower. 90014 is 8.7%, 90017 is 4%, etc.

Just on a whim, I looked up one of the nicer zip codes in Palo Alto (home of Stanford): 94305 has 94.5% of its population with a Bachelor's degree or higher. Not bad.

Last edited:

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
relations to house price a given

jmello said:
Cambridge, MA 02142 = 89.3%

Cambridge, MA 02163 = 89.4%

Waban (Newton), MA 02468 = 81.5%
I moved to Maine 3 years ago from that other W town, Wakefield so i plugged n the W towns and they came up about 75%, like Weston and Wellesley

Dover was the highest suburb i could find at 77.8%

my town is 42.1% against the state wide average of 22.9%, not bad - we do have alot of under employed hyper educated people here - ;)

Tide

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
Yup, in one try.

Camden City, NJ 08102 - 08105

City wide stats:
Population 25 years and over 42,746
High school graduate or higher 21,817 51.0%
Bachelor's degree or higher 2,290 5.4%

zman

Cyburbian
Windsor, CO(Mailing address, although I am 6 miles from town.)
Pop. 11,482
29.4%

Hmmm...:-|

the town I acutally live in...Severance... population 597... 31% with a degree...

Hmmm again...:-|

Wannaplan?

Bounty Hunter
nerudite said:
Tide said:
Yup, in one try. Camden City, NJ 08102 - 08105. 5.4%
Wow, that's sad. In Detroit, 48209 is at 3.9%.

Is there a zip lower than that? I wonder if the bayou country of Louisiana is lower than 48209. But I don't have zips to check, nor do I know where to find them.

ThePinkPlanner

Cyburbian
Bombs away

When I visited the town of Los Alamos about 5 years ago they kept saying that they have the highest percentage of PhD's in the country. But I havent' done any fact checking.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
My current zip: 14.7% with a bachelor's. What do you expect in a town where change is given as "here's your 50 cent"?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
South Euclid, Ohio 44121: Zip is 37.6%, my Census tract is 40.9% - 46.8% Not too shabby.

The Zip I grew up in is only 16.2%. Durrrrr ...

mgk920

Cyburbian
Appleton, WI 54911 = 29.5%
Appleton, WI 54912 = (all P.O. BOXes)
Appleton, WI 54913 = 27.7%
Appleton, WI 54914 = 28.8% <--(my home ZIP code)
Appleton, WI 54915 = 28.2%
All are slightly above the national average.

Mike

drucee

Cyburbian
Hyde Park is split between a couple of ZIP codes, 60615 and 60637. 60615 always shows a higher percentage of college graduates because it contains wealthier communities (Kenwood) and 60637 contains poorer ones (Woodlawn). But if you look by census tract, the entire Hyde Park area shows up as between 65%-85% college-educated.

jtmnkri

Cyburbian
nerudite said:

Just on a whim, I looked up one of the nicer zip codes in Palo Alto (home of Stanford): 94305 has 94.5% of its population with a Bachelor's degree or higher. Not bad.
Nice work nerudite. Probably 94305 is the highest. Did you notice poverty rates are a lot higher there than the US average?!? That's weird.

I noticed your from Canada. I've been doing some work up there lately. Could you recommend a good source for finding population and income demographic information, ideally by post code?

nerudite

Cyburbian
jtmnkri said:
Nice work nerudite. Probably 94305 is the highest. Did you notice poverty rates are a lot higher there than the US average?!? That's weird.

I noticed your from Canada. I've been doing some work up there lately. Could you recommend a good source for finding population and income demographic information, ideally by post code?
Not much by zip code. But www.statscan.ca has other info by municipality.

jresta

Cyburbian
My zip code - 19147

Population 25 years and over

High school graduate or higher
75.8%
(US average 80.4%)

Bachelor's degree or higher
(US average 24.4%)

07757 - my hometown
High school graduate or higher
90.5%
Bachleor's degree or higher
36.0%

jordanb

Cyburbian
jtmnkri said:

Yah but the poverty rate there is probably something like $90,000 a year. ;-)

jtmnkri

Cyburbian
illinoisplanner said:
I was in Chicago on a business trip, so I visited Kenilworth to check it out. I anticipated Kenilworth would feature windy roads with massive homes situated 100 yards back from the street on multi-acre lots.

I was impressed - generally the town is integrated with surrounding communities and there was the commuter train right there, too. I saw lots of classy houses boasting timeless architecture and beautiful landscaping, mostly on 1/4 acre lots. I loved the sidewalks and narrow streets.

Probably if I lived in Chicago, had unlimited $$$, and children I would consider living there.

mgk920

Cyburbian
jtmnkri said:
I was in Chicago on a business trip, so I visited Kenilworth to check it out. I anticipated Kenilworth would feature windy roads with massive homes situated 100 yards back from the street on multi-acre lots.
You'll have to go to Barrington Hills, Long Grove, etc, for those.

jtmnkri said:
I was impressed - generally the town is integrated with surrounding communities and there was the commuter train right there, too. I saw lots of classy houses boasting timeless architecture and beautiful landscaping, mostly on 1/4 acre lots. I loved the sidewalks and narrow streets.

Probably if I lived in Chicago, had unlimited $$$, and children I would consider living there.
Kenilworth and the other similar North Shore suburbs (ie, Winnetka, Wilmette, Glencoe) are 'old money' places that might be thought of as the late 19th/early 20th Century 'McMansionland' of the Chicagoland area. Oodles of big, expensive houses on smaller city-sized lots. It's just that these places are older and tend to have the better workmanship of the day than their more modern equivelants.

I'd love to see more newly developed areas like that.

Mike

jordanb

Cyburbian
jtmnkri said:
Remember that Kenilworth is old money. They don't feel the desire for the conspicuous displayes of wealth that are the obsene estates of new money.

Your neighbors would probably politely turn their noses up at you. ;)

Charliesch

Cyburbian
University Towns

I believe you would find the highest numbers in university towns. Someone could try Chapel Hill NC and State College PA. I belive the Census only counts persons age 25 and older in their population numbers.

I heard one time that Chapel Hill NC and Charlottesville VA have two of the highest ratios of lawyers to population in the country. This is because so many people go to law school there and don't want to leave.

By the way, 1970 was the first year in which half of the US adult population had graduated high school.

Charliesch

Cyburbian
Other Zip Codes

I would expect other highly educated percentages in zip codes in Georgetown and Northwest Washington D.C. and Alexandria VA.

Kevin T. D.

Zip

Keep in mind that zip codes, at least in a metroploitan area like Los Anegels, can follow arbitrary lines. For example, the zip code for UCLA is 90095, but there are at least 2 other zips in the area of Westwood (a square mile or so encompassing UCLA). I think 90095 is a separate zip just for the campus and maybe a block across the street. In Berkeley, the zip code in question was probably right on campus, could have even included graduate student housing. I do know that parts of Berkely are densely populated with homeless people, a cohort which there is no real way to mearsure in a census. Thus, the numbers will be skewed in a zipe code that esentially is a university. A better way to measure education of a given place is by Census Tract, since the units are divided more or less along a criteria. It is my understanding that zip codes are for the post office, and have little to do with statistical analyses.

Someone tell me if Im wrong.
-Kevin

Breed

Cyburbian
The advantage of using Zip Codes in lieu of Census Tracts is that they usually include more than one Census Tract. While that example in LA would result in a zip code not making alot of sense, I would imagine that each of those zip codes are composed of 5-10 different census tracts.

If we used Census Tracts, the examples might be more extreme.

jtmnkri

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
Wow, that's sad. In Detroit, 48209 is at 3.9%.

Is there a zip lower than that? I wonder if the bayou country of Louisiana is lower than 48209. But I don't have zips to check, nor do I know where to find them.
Fall River, Massachusetts, 02724
6.7% in an zip code that is 92% white.

Masswich

Cyburbian
Harvard 02138 (Thahhhk you very muhhch)

Actually, Harvard is in 02138 (79.2%) and MIT is in 02139 (62.7%). 02139 has a 99.5% level of residents 25 or older with pocket protectors, though.

Other high zips around Boston:

02446 (Coolidge Corner, Brookline) - 78.2%
02445 (Brookline Village) - 75.2%

Of course, you need a Bachelors to get a job cleaning toilets around Boston, so maybe this doesn't mean much. I once met a guy in Saint Paul, MN who was from around here. He moved out there to "live the American dream," by which he meant be able to buy a house without a college education.

jtmnkri said:
I recently made a deposit on a pre-construction condo in Jersey City, New Jersey. I was doing some research on the neighborhood, Newport-Pavonia, and somewhere I read it is the best educated zip code in America.

So I went to one of my favorite websites - factfindercensus.gov - and typed in the Newport-Pavonia zip code, 07310. "Population 25 years or higher bachelor's degree higher" = 76.5%. This is ironic because Jersey City public schools are so bad, in 1989 Jersey City became the 1st public school district in the United States to be taken over by a state government.

I typed in some other ones: 90210 = 55.5%; 02139 (location of Harvard and MIT) = 62.7%. Finally, I found one - actually located in my town: 07078 (Short Hills, NJ) = 79.2%. Then I found a list of the richest zip codes in the US. One in Berkeley, CA, was on there - 94707 = 80.0%.

Anyway, the US has >33,000 zip codes so I don't have time to search them all. Does anyone know a zip code with a higher educated population than 94707?

The One

Cyburbian
Hmmm....

Here's a place with more graduate degrees than undergraduate degrees......:-o

EDUCATIONAL ATTAINMENT
Less than 9th grade
9th to 12th grade, no diploma
High school graduate (includes equivalency)
Some college, no degree
Associate degree
Bachelor's degree
Graduate or professional degree

Some place called Dumas Mississippi:r:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zoning Goddess said:
My current zip: 14.7% with a bachelor's. What do you expect in a town where change is given as "here's your 50 cent"?
ah jeez....i can relate to you completely as I currently reside in the Upstate of SC. Currently planning a rapid exit when I graduate from undergrad in May.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The One said:
Here's a place with more graduate degrees than undergraduate degrees......:-o

Some place called Dumas Mississippi:r:
I think the town's name is missing an "S" :D

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Greenwood, SC where I work and go to school has 15.7% with at least a bachelor's degree and Mauldin, SC where I live has 24.4%.

BikePlanIt

Cyburbian
Wanigas? said:
No problem, leave it to us Texans to top y'all: Devers, Texas 8.7% have a bachelor's. And she just left town ;)

clare2582

Cyburbian
14701-
I did a detailed table... and with some basic computations....
15% of the male population over 25 have bachelor's/masters/professional/phd degree.
5% of the population is male, age 22-29.

100% of the reason I can't find a date.

Overall, 15% has bachelor's or higher...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
60043 Kenilworth, IL
Old thread, I know, but according to 2017 American Community Survey estimates for Cayuga Heights, New York:

Population 25 years and older:
  • Percent high school graduate or higher: 98.0% +/-1.7
  • Percent bachelor's degree or higher: 88.7% +/-4.4
  • Graduate or professional degree: 67.5% +/-8.2
Also:
  • Asian alone 479
  • High school graduate or higher: 479 100.0%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 479 100.0%
For my current ZIP:
  • Percent high school graduate or higher: 95.4% +/-0.9
  • Percent bachelor's degree or higher: 63.7%+/-2.0
  • Graduate or professional degree: 39.0% +/-1.9

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Old thread, I know, but according to 2017 American Community Survey estimates for Cayuga Heights, New York:

Population 25 years and older:
  • Percent high school graduate or higher: 98.0% +/-1.7
  • Percent bachelor's degree or higher: 88.7% +/-4.4
  • Graduate or professional degree: 67.5% +/-8.2
Also:
  • Asian alone 479
  • High school graduate or higher: 479 100.0%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 479 100.0%
For my current ZIP:
  • Percent high school graduate or higher: 95.4% +/-0.9
  • Percent bachelor's degree or higher: 63.7%+/-2.0
  • Graduate or professional degree: 39.0% +/-1.9
The stats for Cuyuga Heights look similar to those for Barton Hills, MI, which is right outside Ann Arbor:
  • % HS grad or higher: 99.1%
  • % bachelor's degree or higher: 85.1%
  • % graduate or professional degree: 65.6%
I imagine there is a little village/city/town like this near every major research university.