• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Mother Nature

Floridays

Cyburbian
As an Oklahoma native, I just needed to express my sadness at yesterday's tornados that hit the state-- the same area (Moore) was flattened as it was just a few years ago. This is only about 5 miles from where my family lives. My heart just goes out to those people who have to re-build (again). One news story featured a couple who live in Moore and have been hit 4 times.

It's pretty tragic. It's also a reminder to me that hurricane season is approaching and I'm not thrilled about it.

H

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
It's also a reminder to me that hurricane season is approaching and I'm not thrilled about it.
Jes, I don’t like that either….

BKM

Cyburbian
There were actually funnel clouds spotted in Northern California yesterday afternoon. 10 miles from my home! And, this is May (What's wierd is it only sprinkled where I was walking my dog-and 15 miles away thunderstorms and funnel clouds and tornado warnings.) Yipes!

All I can say is that I'll take the occasional blizzard and 6 months of winter to avoid: tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, fire ants, poisonous snakes and mud slides.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
We had strong sustained winds last Sunday. If the leave had been out on the trees, I'm sure we would have lost many more than we did. On a positive note, the birds were not able to fly very well, so they huddled in the pines and near the feeders, where I could see them easily. Rack up the first two indigo buntings, the first bluebird, and the first scarlet tanager of the year.

donk

Cyburbian
Mother Nature is a B****.

It snowed here last night. Did not stay on the ground, but it snowed none the less.

The scariest thing I ever saw was a tornado(mid 80's Grand Valley-Barrie Tornado) from about 10 miles away. The sky turned a really freaky shade of green, and was really still.