• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Mother's Day - What are you doing?

Ok, Ok, I *know* this is a "Hallmark Holiday", but putting that aside:
1. Are you celebrating mother's day?
2. How?

My mom told me that a daughter can never truly appreciate their mother until they've had a child of their own, and in my case it is so true. The horror of childbirth still fresh in my mind, I wrote my mom a two page letter about all the things I am truly grateful to her for. (in addition to sending her the fiesta salt and pepper shakers and butter dish she wanted. :D)

SGB

Cyburbian
I'll probably be driving my wife and kids to her parents' home that day.

I guess I'll buy my wife a burger on the way there. ;)

As for my mother, she, pa and my sister all on vacation so I'm off the hook until they return to the mainland.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Already got Planner Groupie her gift.....and it arrived today from the Vermont Teddy Bear Company....

As far as Sunday goes....by brothers and sister (as well Uncles and my Dad) are taking the moms and my grandmother out to dinner. I'll get a card and a small gift as well....

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Call her on the phone.
To far and many $$$ to travel for a one day visit.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Sent her a card today (hope it gets there by Sunday), and am going halfsies with my sister on a local history book for her.

Has anyone else noticed just how bad Mother's Day cards are. I was picking one out this morning and it was near impossible to find one that wasn't completely glurg filled. Every card had prose that was like, " Dear mother: The bond betweeen a mother and son is like that of a freshly blooming garden lit by the light of unfettering love and bathed in the dewy tears of blah, blah, blah..." I mean really just awful.

jmf

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
The horror of childbirth still fresh in my mind
With this in mind and my husband away, according to a note I accidently found the other night I will be going on a scavanger hunt in preparation for our August arrival.

My mom will be visiting too since my grandmother lives close by. I have a gift for her and a card for the grandmother whose 93rd birthday is next week. Unfortunately I was a little late off the mark since my mom seems to have already bought food to bring for the weekend.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Since I'm a pseudo stepmom, we celebrated a week or two ago. I got breakfast in bed and we had dinner out with the kids... plus a little walk in a local provincial park. Nice day.

We both sent our mums flowers and will give them a call this weekend. My mom is a flower freak... I send her flowers for just about every holiday/birthday. She likes to make the other ladies in the office jealous. :)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Taking her out to dinner, and doing all the driving back from our mini-vacation. She usually does all the driving, so I'm giving her a break. (Plus, she drives really really slowly ;-) )

biscuit said:
Has anyone else noticed just how bad Mother's Day cards are. I was picking one out this morning and it was near impossible to find one that wasn't completely glurg filled. Every card had prose that was like, " Dear mother: The bond betweeen a mother and son is like that of a freshly blooming garden lit by the light of unfettering love and bathed in the dewy tears of blah, blah, blah..." I mean really just awful.
In general, I get VERY annoyed with greeting card glurgey-ness - which is why I generally send blank notes and fill in my own greeting. When I do find a cool line of greeting cards, I stock up.

boiker

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
In general, I get VERY annoyed with greeting card glurgey-ness - which is why I generally send blank notes and fill in my own greeting. When I do find a cool line of greeting cards, I stock up.
Possibley the most off-color and coolest greeting cards around.
www.mikwright.com/

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Every year, my mom takes my son and me, as well as my brother and his family, to her country club for the champagne brunch. My brother brings corsages for his wife, our mom, and me.

I got my mom a Black and Decker electric jar opener because she has a terrible time opening jars anymore. I'm assuming I'm getting something from my son because mom took him on a mysterious shopping trip last week...

Seabishop

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Its true - but there's a new type of mushy greeting card that reflects how sad lots of families are. There are always lots of cards now that say things like "Mom, although we rarely see eye to eye and sparks often fly between us . . . " or "Son, even though I rarely spent time with you . . . " Its hard to find cards that don't show mom as either an angel or an enstranged beyotch.