• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Mount Trashmore

H

Cyburbian
I took these photos while on a walk yesterday. South Florida’s only topography comes from trash filled hills such as this one. On one such hill they have even planted trees and created mountain bike trails. It is an interesting site when you are not used to it, so I thought I would share.

This trash hill is by Black Point Marina in south Miami-Dade County, Florida.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Thanks for sharing. I had never really thought about that before, that if you see a "hill" in some parts of the state, you automatically think, there's their landfill... Bike trails seem to be a pretty good use of the sites, I'll have to remember that one.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
I am not sure that I would disagree with the couple's protest. The landfill is 12 acres and the parcel rezoned to industrial was 66 acres. There could be 54 acres of industrial development besides the landfill, and once the landfill is closed, what is to prevent that from becoming an industrial use? It seems to be a legitimate zoning question regardless of whether the landfill is part of hte equation. (On the other hand, I would be skeptical if this could be considered spot zoning.)