• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Movie Question

Do you watch the credits of a movie after it's over?

• Yes, we stay 'till the VERY end.

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Nope, gotta get outta there the minute the music starts.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Depends/Other - explained below.

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here's a simple poll for the FAC.

Personally, I like to stay until the very end of a movie and read the credits. Sometimes there are hidden gems within the credits - remember "Better Off Dead" and "One Crazy Summer" type movies. There was always some hidden joke or credit thrown in there. If anyone stayed until the very end of "Dodgeball," then they were in for a treat. :)

ludes98

Cyburbian
I always fast forward through credits on DVD's to make sure I don' miss additional scenes, but rarely read the credits. At the theater I stay to avoid the crowd.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I stay for both the reasons Planderella and JNA stated. :)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I sat through the entire credits most of the time in the past, but now I do so after all movies in the theater. You really do miss out on extra gems if you leave before the credits conclude. The extra gem for "Dodgeball" was hilarious! :-D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I only stay if I know beforehand that there's a reason to stay thru that particular movie's credits. Otherwise, we bolt immediately, particularly from kids' movies, my high-energy child will be tired of sitting.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I only stay if I know beforehand that there's a reason to stay thru that particular movie's credits. Otherwise, we bolt immediately, particularly from kids' movies, my high-energy child will be tired of sitting.
Same here...

Repo Man

Cyburbian
It depends on the movie and my mood. Like others, if I hear that there is something funny I will stay. I forgot what movie it was...maybe some Zucker Bros. film..but they had all kinds of funny titles for people and made up names.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Repo Man said:
It depends on the movie and my mood. Like others, if I hear that there is something funny I will stay. I forgot what movie it was...maybe some Zucker Bros. film..but they had all kinds of funny titles for people and made up names.
Dittos, for me.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I can't remember what the title of the movie was but I remember back in high school sitting through the credits and suddenly a recipie for brownies popping up seamlessly in the middle of them. I thought it was increadibly funny and ever since I have made it a point to read the credits after a comedy.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I usually stick around. I like to avoid the rush out of the theater. Also those people who worked on the movie worked really hard and I figure the least I can do is let them have that moment in the sun while the credits roll by. After all, Tony Jones is one helluva assistant gaffer! I also like to see where the move was shot and that information is usually at the end of the credits.

biscuit said:
I can't remember what the title of the movie was but I remember back in high school sitting through the credits and suddenly a recipie for brownies popping up seamlessly in the middle of them. I thought it was increadibly funny and ever since I have made it a point to read the credits after a comedy.
Hot Shots.

And we're going to see Dodge Ball tonight, so we'll be sure to stay.

Vince Vaughn...dreamy sigh.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Here's a simple poll for the FAC.

Personally, I like to stay until the very end of a movie and read the credits. Sometimes there are hidden gems within the credits - remember "Better Off Dead" and "One Crazy Summer" type movies. There was always some hidden joke or credit thrown in there. If anyone stayed until the very end of "Dodgeball," then they were in for a treat. :)
I usually do. I like to find out where the film was shot, and if there was a particular song I like in the soundtrack, who performed it.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Never Can Tell What You'll See...

I always stay, even through the bad ones.

I enjoy learning about little details of the production - where it was filmed, etc and who was the "best boy."

I guess it's a holdover from my preoccupation from reading credits on LP's - or, my latent anal retentativeness.

And, it can be very rewarding, witnessing some of the "bombs" dropped in the credits of Monty Python epics..... :-}

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Crazy Credits for Hot Shots! (1991)

TOPPING FOR BROWNIES
1/2 cup butter 3 squares butter chocolate,melted
2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar 1 or 2 teaspoons cinnamon(optional)
2 egg yolks,beaten
Cream butter until light and lemon coloured.
Gradually add sugar and egg yolks. Add chocolate.
THINGS TO DO AFTER THE MOVIE
_start a story hour at the local library
_help someone learn to read
_teach someone to use a computer
_help someone learn to speak a new language
_organize a physical fitness programme
_visit a dairy and see how milk is handled
and prepared for delivery
Bar Advisor.........John 'JB' Bandy
NOBBY BUNS
4 cups sifted flour 1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon 1 cup butter
3 eggs
Cream butter until well softened and add to
sugar and eggs.Mix quickly with flour.Drop mixture
from a teaspoon and small jagged heaps onto a cookie
sheet and bake in 375 to 400 degrees oven.
(At the end of credits,just before "Any similarity etc.":
IF YOU HAD LEFT THIS THEATRE WHEN THESE CREDITS BEGAN , YOU'D BE HOME NOW.
"Sound Design & Supervision.........SANDY BERMAN, M.P.S.E, RSVP"

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I always read the credits at the end of a movie on the big screen. I went to college with a lot of people who were in the filmmaking, set design, and acting programs. Once in awhile, I see a name I recognize... although it seems to happen less frequently as I get older.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I only stay if I know there's secret scenes at the end of the credits (like in Matrix 2) Otherwise I leave after the crowd, I won't stick to see all the credits.. only until most of the crowd has left, which is quite soon, since I usually see movies early in the atfernoon, and there is only 10-20 people inside...

I must have seen Elephant with only 8 other guys when I went to see it... :p

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
If it's a comedy, I'll watch the credits. There might be some easter eggs in there, or there might be a short feature at the end.

As for other categories of cinema, I leave as soon as the credits roll. Although hardcore movie geeks might care, I could give a damn about the best boy, grip, or catering service.

Rem

Cyburbian
I often like to see where a movie has been filmed - usually because there has been scenery or a building that piqued my interest. Or if they used a song I recognise but can't remember the performer/title. Though I do this - I forget as soon as I walk out of the theatre anyway.

donk

Cyburbian
Movie Credits?

Just home from going to see hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. An OK film.

With all of the films I've seen to in the last month and a half (9 total - 7 docs - 2 movies), it is interesting to notice when people leave the theatre. With the documentaries, it makes sense to wait through the credits as there is usually a discussion after the movie, but with others it is less, so, except to wait for the "extras" that get thrown in.

So when do you leave and and why?

Me I like to see the credits and hope for an extra piece thrown in, plus I like to see the music listings incase there was something I liked in the movie. Plus it is easier to get out of the theatre.

boiker

Cyburbian
donk said:
So when do you leave and and why?
I like to stick around and actually read the credits. There is quite often easter eggs buried in the credits. In comedies, credits range from thanks to interns who picked up fast food to credits to fictituos jobs and names.

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
When I get to the credits I usually just hit the eject button on the DVD player. :)

I haven't seen HHGTTG yet... is there anything special in the credits to look for? Some friends went opening night dressed in bathrobes carrying towels but that has nothing to do with the credits...

Favorite credits: Repo Man, because they scroll from the top to the bottom instead of the usual other way around.

As far as credits goes in the actual movie theater, it just depends on my mood. Also if it is crowded and I have an aisle seat I'll leave because I don't want people stepping over me and I already have a leg up on the crowd leaving.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Interesting topic. Seems credits/titles have gone through different phases historically. Early on in movie history the credits were sometimes included at the beginning. I recall some really cool credits/titles were featured in several movies made during the 60's. Anyone remember the animated credit sequences for the 'Pink Panther' or 'Around the World in 80 Days'? It also seems that the speed at which the credits tend to scroll has sped up over time (larger production crews maybe?). Remember in the 70's when they first introduced the practice of including the outtakes during the credits? I think 'Smokey and the Bandit' or 'Cannonball Run' may have been the first movies to do that and you saw Burt Reynolds and Dom Deloise making each other laugh so hard they'd screw up their lines 8 times in a row.

Usually I take off after the easter egg

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I usually stay to the end, I like to see where the movie was filmed and that is usually near the end.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Depends on the nature of the movie. Comedies usually always have an Easter egg, so I will wait.

otherwise, I'll wait till the theater is half empty for ease of exit.

otterpop

Cyburbian
I stay until the end. Maybe it is a carryover from when I did a movie reviews as a newspaper reporter. I am interested in where the move was filmed and stuff like that. Also there are lots of people who work on films who get no recognition, seems the least I can do is read their names. Besides, you know, Joe Erickson is one hell of a key grip!

Also I stay to the end so I can have a seamless transition from the theatre to my car without standing in the knot of people leaving. Same reason why I wait for everyone else to get offthe damn airplane (except if there was emergency, then I would run over those old ladies!)

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Don't Leave Until They Get The Gum Off The Floor!

I "stick" around; have always been interested in the place credits (i.e. the Toronto Board of Film Development, etc) that tells you where the film was actually shot.

Also it's always know who the "gaffer" and "best boy" were..... :-D

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
If you miss some detail, you can always go to imdb.com
and click on

full cast and crew
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
George Lucas .... Baron Papanoida (uncredited)

or

Crazy Credits for Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
http://imdb.com/title/tt0071853/crazycredits

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I stick around until the lights come on at the bitter end. Sometimes this annoys my kids, but when they discover some extra at the end of the movie, they understand why I stay :)

zman

Cyburbian
Miles Ignatius said:
I "stick" around; have always been interested in the place credits (i.e. the Toronto Board of Film Development, etc) that tells you where the film was actually shot.

Also it's always know who the "gaffer" and "best boy" were..... :-D
Don't forget about who the "grip" is. I like to try to see extras, but sometimes I just take off.
Also if there is a good looking woman, or an actor I cannot place, I try to see who it is. But I hardly ever go out to movies.