• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Movie Review Thread

cellophane

Cyburbian
gi joe - better than you would think it is. however - dont go in expecting much other than cool effects and lots of explosions. some of the story lines are... lacking.

i sell the dead - this is hilarious in a black way and was surprisingly refreshing to watch compared to most movies of late.

the hurt locker - this movie was great. it did drag little towards the end but it was excellent. much like jarhead it is much more about the psychological effects of what is going on than the actual events in question. definately worth watching

harry potter - visually great. story line is close to the book but its hard to fit 1000 pages of detail into a 2.5 hour movie. they skimmed over or only hinted at a lot of what was in the book. still better than the 5th movie.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw "Julie & Julia" last weekend. It was a typical Nora Ephron chick flick. The Julie character was taken straight out of other Ephron movies like "You've Got Mail," "When Harry Met Sally," etc. She was cute, quirky, self-absorbed, whiny, and annoying as ever. If Meg Ryan was about 10-15 yrs younger, she would have been cast in that role rather than Amy Adams.

Overall, the movie was enjoyable simply because of Meryl Streep as Julia Child. She stole and owned the movie. It would have been a much stronger movie if were just focused on Julia's life. I didn't care about Julie, I wanted to know about Julia.
That was basically my take on the flick too. Meryl Streep owned the role of Julia Child! I must admit it was a little weird watching Stanley Tucci play a hetero male but he and Meryl Streep have good chemistry on the screen together. IRL Julia Child did not think too highly of Julie Powell's blog. There's a fascinating little story about her in Tom Brokaw's excellent "The Greatest Generation" about her time in the OSS during WWII.

Rygor

Cyburbian
I saw "District 9" over the weekend. It was pretty engrossing for the first hour+ of it then got very cliche at the end. Effects were definitely good, and I loved how they didn't try to make the aliens too cute or too weak. If they could have been a bit more creative with the ending I'd have possibly put it in my top 3 or 4 sci-fi movies.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Basterds

I saw Inglorious Basterds last weekend. It is very Torintino. Great acting especially by the Jew Hunter. Worth seeing.

The One

Cyburbian
Yup

I saw Inglorious Basterds last weekend. It is very Torintino. Great acting especially by the Jew Hunter. Worth seeing.
Great acting by everyone except Pitt, who was only average in my opinion, but did benefit from having a great character to play. That red dress......WOW! The images are deserving of an oscar for cinematography at least:p A good alternate history storyline. I'd like to see the great alternate history book, The Man in the High Castle made into a (horror) movie:h:

Last edited:

fringe

Cyburbian
I saw "Burn After Reading" recently and found the govt guys completely credible in their ruthlessness. Looks like our current "leadership".

otterpop

Cyburbian
Anyone seen "The 500 Days of Summer"? I have heard mostly good reviews.

Zooey Deschanel. :D :p ;)

cellophane

Cyburbian
Anyone seen "The 500 Days of Summer"? I have heard mostly good reviews.

Zooey Deschanel. :D :p ;)
to quote a conversation with a friend who saw it:

(500) DAYS was a charming film. P.S. Fellas, 90% of the audience were ladies so if you are wondering where they're at. It's at that movie.

me: was (500) days chick flick central or was more of a normal movie with a high percentage of females in attendance? the previews look pretty interesting.

Just high percentage of females in attendance. It's a romance movie, for sure, but one I think a lot of guys can relate to.

it's not a love story.... ;)
it is definitely something i want to see but i may end up going by myself to see it.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Snow Angels

Had a chance to catch Snow Angels on HBO. Very strong and emotional flick. Tells the story of a marriage that falls apart and how the couple deal with the break-up, especially how the male lead slides into total (and horrific) despair. Kate Beckinsale and Sam Rockwell play the leads. Both are very good. I watched their character development and I saw people I knew.

A side story line has a teen boy, who works with the woman who divorced, enjoying the company of a spirited young teen girl. He is torn between the joy he feels in his teen relationship and seeing his own mother and father separate, with divorce being on the table. In the middle of the pic an event occurs that provides serious emotional stress to the teen boy.

I recommend this movie. Give it a 7 of 10.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Milk & Picnic

Couple mini-reviews.....

Milk
This Bear viewed Milk last week. Sean Penn was very deserving of the award nominations for his portrayal of Harvey Milk. The movie was a learning experience, because I had little-to-no knowledge of San Francisco politics. Interesting.

But.....

It seemed to me that the flick bounced-around a bit too much. Granted, I am a slow learner. Maybe it was just me. I give it a 6 of 10.

Picnic
Quite sure I mentioned this classic movie before. I watch it every Labor Day weekend, because the storyline occurs over a Labor Day weekend. This is one of my favorite movies. William Holden, (quite lucious :p Kim Novak), Cliff Robertson,Arthur O'Connell, Susan Strasberg, Rosalind Russell......a picnic basket of fine performances.

Drifter William Holden (perhaps a bit too old for the age of the character) wanders into town to see an old college chum (Cliff Robertson). As the Labor Day weekend events take place, Holden falls for Robertson's girl......Kim Novak. The movie includes what many consider one of the sexiest dance scenes ever, I agree. And I know I posted it once before. I will post it again.

Dang it, you young'n's need to turn off the car chases....at least for a day or two.....and slip back to a quiet weekend in Kansas, complete with the Labor Day Picnic, grain silos, and the romance that too often we let slip away.

I strongly recommend Picnic. I give it 8 of 10.

Obligatory vid.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNxtxfuZD6M

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Seven Days In May

Awhile back I mentioned that the movie Seven Days In May was one of my favorites. This movie is on my mind a lot, lately.....given our political climate. The flick is about an attempted military takeover of the USA. The reasoning? A very hostile political climate, primarily due to a liberal President who is seriously ruffling the feathers of the conservative wing of the Senate (and high-ranking military folk).

Watch this movie! You will see what I mean.

Bear

natski

Cyburbian
I went and saw the movie September Issue last night. I know its a bit old but our local community cinema only got around to showing it this week. I thought it was a great documentry. Not quite the Devil wears Prada, but i was super impressed by how each character was portrayed, especially Grace Coddington. Was nice and light hearted- would recommend to anyone- guys could be slightly bored by it though.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I was off of work on Friday (as I am every Friday) so I took myself to the 1:00 p.m. showing of The Road. Going in, I was very excited to see this movie as I absolutely loved the book and read it a second time last month in anticipation of the theatrical release.

I was a little disappointed with the cinematic version however. The acting was good and it was faithful to the book (except with a few changes in the order that things occurred). My complaint however was that the movie added absolutely nothing to the reading of the book... maybe it was too faithful to the book. I know, I know, people commonly complain that "the movie is never as good as the book" but I like when movies will add in something of their own when adapting to a screenplay. I also thought that this particular movie would have been a great one to give the viewer a real scare at crucial moments but it definitely didn't deliver on that either.

In the end though, if I had never read the book, I probably would have been pleased with movie.

Rygor

Cyburbian
If anyone goes to see Avatar when it comes out let us know how it is. I'm a bit skeptical.

boiker

Cyburbian
Saw the Princess and the Frog with the Family this weekend. It was a hopping good time. The movie didn't jump around too much and the kids were in a trance like state for its duration.

The One

Cyburbian
Yup....

Saw the Princess and the Frog with the Family this weekend. It was a hopping good time. The movie didn't jump around too much and the kids were in a trance like state for its duration.
Same thoughts here......it was a solid movie with some very good characters:D Oh yeah and the kids liked it:r:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Saw two movies over the Holiday.

Up in the Air, with George Clooney, is an excellent film! Engaging, well written and well acted, it pulled me in. The aerial shots are great, and the airport scenes well done. The family interaction will seem familiar to most families these days. Two thumbs way up and a strong recommendation to go see this movie!

Sherlock Holmes, with Robert Downey, Jr, is a decent film. If you are a hard-core Holmes fan, this is not the movie for you. However, I think both Downey and Law did very good jobs acting their parts and the sets are fantastic. It certainly sets the stage for future Holmes movies. One thumb up, and if you like Downey, you'll like this film.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Sherlock Holmes, with Robert Downey, Jr, is a decent film. If you are a hard-core Holmes fan, this is not the movie for you. However, I think both Downey and Law did very good jobs acting their parts and the sets are fantastic. It certainly sets the stage for future Holmes movies. One thumb up, and if you like Downey, you'll like this film.
I'm a hard core Holmes fan, but I also like Downey and Law. I assume you found the movie did not stay true to the Conan-Doyle mythos? How/where did it depart? I'd like to see the movie but would rather avoid the disappointment if it's going to do to Holmes what Jackie Chan did to Jules Verne.

Rygor

Cyburbian
If anyone goes to see Avatar when it comes out let us know how it is. I'm a bit skeptical.
I went ahead and saw it over the long weekend. It exceeded my expectations. The plot was simple and the ending a bit cliche and cheesy but the movie and especially the visuals were engrossing. It was nearly 3 hours and I did not get up from my seat once. It was as quality a sci-fi/fantasy flick as you are going to find. If you see it in 3D like I did you won't regret it. Amazingly beautiful.

Coragus

Cyburbian
The story of Avatar is the pretty standard nature good/man evil plot. However, I can happily report that the IMAX 3-D version (the second time I saw the movie overall) was the most visually stunning optical experience of my life.

Rygor

Cyburbian
The story of Avatar is the pretty standard nature good/man evil plot. However, I can happily report that the IMAX 3-D version (the second time I saw the movie overall) was the most visually stunning optical experience of my life.
The plot/main theme of the movie reminded me a lot of Dances with Wolves in an alien setting. I can imagine seeing it in IMAX 3D would be amazing.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I'm a hard core Holmes fan, but I also like Downey and Law. I assume you found the movie did not stay true to the Conan-Doyle mythos? How/where did it depart? I'd like to see the movie but would rather avoid the disappointment if it's going to do to Holmes what Jackie Chan did to Jules Verne.
I don't recall that Holmes ever took part in any boxing mills back in the day. You also didn't see him using/have reference to his cocaine habit, but he smoked his pipe and drank. Holmes is much more physically active in the movie than I remember in the stories. I think it's more that they had to add/embellish a bit to make the movie palatable to today's movie audience.
Overall, I don't think the movie completely leaves the character behind. I think they left out the drug use on purpose, and added more physical activities to pull in the audience. Maybe you should see it as a matinee, or on Netflix, if yo'ure really worried. But my sister and I both give the main actors thumbs up.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't recall that Holmes ever took part in any boxing mills back in the day. You also didn't see him using/have reference to his cocaine habit, but he smoked his pipe and drank. Holmes is much more physically active in the movie than I remember in the stories. I think it's more that they had to add/embellish a bit to make the movie palatable to today's movie audience.
Overall, I don't think the movie completely leaves the character behind. I think they left out the drug use on purpose, and added more physical activities to pull in the audience. Maybe you should see it as a matinee, or on Netflix, if yo'ure really worried. But my sister and I both give the main actors thumbs up.
Actually, the Sherlock Holmes character in the original stories was both a pugilist and drug user. Sounds like they stayed very faithful. I must go see it now. Thanks!

Edit - Reread your post - oh, you're saying the movie didn't show him using drugs. I'll still probably go see it.

Last edited:

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

I saw Sherlock Holmes on Christmas Day and I thought it was an enjoyable movie!

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Actually, the Sherlock Holmes character in the original stories was both a pugilist and drug user. Sounds like they stayed very faithful. I must go see it now. Thanks!

Edit - Reread your post - oh, you're saying the movie didn't show him using drugs. I'll still probably go see it.
I didn't remember the pugilism (is that a word?) at all. Having a brawl in the basement just doesn't ring true to the Holmes I remember. Was that something he did in his youth? Because Downey certainly wasn't trying to play a young Sherlock Homes!
The drug use - specifically needles - is completely gone in the movie. Because of society? Or Downey's past? Both? Who knows. But the character still works without it. I'd see a sequel.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I didn't remember the pugilism (is that a word?) at all. Having a brawl in the basement just doesn't ring true to the Holmes I remember. Was that something he did in his youth? Because Downey certainly wasn't trying to play a young Sherlock Homes!
Yup, the boxing never played an active part of any story (they never recounted Holmes duking it out with the Bad Guys) I remember reading, but I recall reference to him being an 'expert boxer' several times.

Here it is...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes

Tom R

Cyburbian

The plot/main theme of the movie reminded me a lot of Dances with Wolves in an alien setting. I can imagine seeing it in IMAX 3D would be amazing.
I thought the same thing. Sort of Dances With Wolves meets aliens.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Funny Girl VS New York, New York

My son gave me an Amazon gift certificate for Christmas. One of my purchases was New York, New York. Here is a comparison of two movie musicals that use New York city as a prime backdrop.....

Funny Girl
This movie, from the 1960s, established Barbra Streisand as a superstar. For her performance she won an Academy Award. It is the story of Fanny Brice, a turn-of-the-century comedienne. Streisand is excellent in the role, blending her incredible (and youthful) vocal talents with a keen sense of comedic timing. Omar Sharif plays her gambling dude husband.....and he seemed somewhat miscast for that role. The music is sensational. Give it an 8 on the Bear Scale.

New York, New York
This movie, from the 1970s, was the perfect vehicle for Liza Minnelli to showcase her strong voice. The story is typical.....the couple (Robert De Niro is the male lead).....they meet, they fall in love, success for her, less than success for him, they break up, years later they meet again.

Fans of big band and horn-based jazz will love this movie. Georgie Auld did the actual sax work on the film and De Niro does a nice job of making it look like he was really playing. My complaint with this movie is the character that De Nero plays......he is an abusive man.

Near the end, Minnelli's rendition of the title song is a killer. It is, IMHO, the best version of that great tune.

Video attached is not from the movie. Couldn't find her scene from the movie. But the music is from the flick. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LWlClxTwsw&feature=related

Bear Scale rating is 6.
_____

If you are looking for movies that have a NYC backdrop, these movies have very little. Gotta believe that most of the scenes are Hollywood back lots. If you are looking for sidewalks of New York......rent Mean Streets, one of the best character studies ever filmed......with a young De Niro.

Bear

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Saw two movies over the Holiday.

Up in the Air, with George Clooney, is an excellent film! Engaging, well written and well acted, it pulled me in. The aerial shots are great, and the airport scenes well done. The family interaction will seem familiar to most families these days. Two thumbs way up and a strong recommendation to go see this movie!.
I saw it and didn't like it. It was pretty downer movie. There would good scenes, but the ending stunk. Plus you saw at least part of the irony coming. Specifically, the 20 something girl. I understand the points they were trying to make. The impersonal nature of downsizing, the importance of family and connections, etc. It still was depressing.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had the day off of work yesterday and I partook (is that a word?) in one of my favorite weekday-day-off activities: going to the movies alone.

I went and saw http://www.foxsearchlight.com/crazyheart/ at a local theater staring Jeff Bridges and Maggie Gyllenhaal (who has been at the top of my list of most beautiful actresses with talent to match for some time now).

Everything about the movie was great: The acting, the story, the scenery, and most of all the music. I have yet to look, but if Jeff Bridges did his own singing, then maybe he has another career waiting in the wings! This was easily the best movie I have seen at the theater in a long time.

On a side note: I went to a 1:00 p.m. showing on a Monday... not normally a time that promotes a packed house, even on holidays I've noticed. However, the auditorium was at least three quarters full (capacity is about 400), and I think I was one of 5 people under the age of 65 and not a member of AARP.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
We saw The Princess and the Frog this weekend. I enjoyed it. Lots of great music and fun to see the animators' vision of New Orleans.

It does have some potentially scary moments so I wouldn't recommend it for children under 6 yo.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I had the day off of work yesterday and I partook (is that a word?) in one of my favorite weekday-day-off activities: going to the movies alone.

I went and saw http://www.foxsearchlight.com/crazyheart/ at a local theater staring Jeff Bridges and Maggie Gyllenhaal (who has been at the top of my list of most beautiful actresses with talent to match for some time now).

Everything about the movie was great: The acting, the story, the scenery, and most of all the music. I have yet to look, but if Jeff Bridges did his own singing, then maybe he has another career waiting in the wings! This was easily the best movie I have seen at the theater in a long time.
Good to know. I want to see that movie. My husband is a big Jeff Bridges fan. And we just rented one of Maggie Gyllenhaal's earlier movies, Sherry Baby, from Netflix. She is a remarkable actress.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Public Enemies

Finally had a chance to view Public Enemies, the story of infamous 30's gangster John Dillinger. This Bear gives it a 5 on the rating scale. You should know that the scale goes to 10. :-|

Johnny Depp is good and the actress who plays his girlfriend is drop dead (get it? :-c:-o;):D) gorgeous. But the story bounces around too much AND the Dillinger folks kill way too many cops.......in other words, not very accurate. I would have liked more character development and less "bang bang".

I will admit that I have been spoiled by other gangster films, including these favorites.....

The Godfather
Godfather II
Once Upon A Time In America
The Sopranos
Public Enemy (With James Cagney)
Roaring Twenties

The John Dillinger story is fun to read about. He was a ruthless criminal yet the public seemed to favor him because he came across as a modern Robin Hood.

Side Note Time: One of the banks that he robbed is in Hudson, IN. That bank was turned into a restaurant, appropriately named Dillinger's. I stopped there a couple times on business trips to the Fort Wayne area. Good burgers!

Bear

EDIT: Forgot to mention.....Katie did not know about the legend of John Dillinger's supposedly huge (and saved in a museum) "tool". Snopes says it is a legend.

Last edited:

Nero

Took the girls to see Princess and the Frog on the base theater, good flick! It is a back-to-basics kind of movie for Disney...... the type of movie they are great at making!

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
The Princess and the Frog was great! We really enjoyed it too.

Mac got a DSi from Santa, as well as an Indiana Jones game. Due to his interest, we just rented from Netflix Raiders of the Lost Ark. What fun to see it again after all these years.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Being way up theya in Maine, I get movies a little later than you metro-area folks - last night I took my now 17 yo daughter and my husband to see Up in the Air for her birthday (in a rare moment, she wanted to go out with us and just her, no other friends, no other siblings)

I thought it was a great movie - a surprise ending really (to me) - the lines were perfect, it was just a good film -

anyone else see it?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I went and saw the Hurt Locker during my day off on Monday and it was absolutely phenomenal! While there were definitely a couple of unrealistic moments in the movie, I thought the three main characters themselves were actually pretty well developed and represented a good cross-section of the types of soldiers one would encounter in just about any unit.

I would much rather see it win the Best Picture Academy Award than the over-hyped Avatar (which, coincidently, was directed by the ex-husband of the director of the Hurt Locker)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I went and saw the Hurt Locker during my day off on Monday and it was absolutely phenomenal!
I couldn't agree with you more. I went in thinking that it was going to be another Pearl Harbor or any other overdone war movie, but was pleasantly surprised. Although the Mrs. was worried the entire time that everyone was going to die, I thought that it mixed suspense with drama and fear. It gave a pretty scary depiction of what soldiers go through and what type of person is needed to succeed.

I agree as well that if Avatar wins it will be baloney. I still don't understand how it grossed so much... did people really see it twice? Ugh.

fringe

Cyburbian
Being way up theya in Maine, I get movies a little later than you metro-area folks - last night I took my now 17 yo daughter and my husband to see Up in the Air for her birthday (in a rare moment, she wanted to go out with us and just her, no other friends, no other siblings)

I thought it was a great movie - a surprise ending really (to me) - the lines were perfect, it was just a good film -

anyone else see it?
Yes. Clooney gets an A for a good character portrayal.

How about A Single Man?

I like Colin and was glad to see him not in 19th century clothes, but the movie in its way was just another costume drama.

Planit

Cyburbian
Over the weekend we saw UP and The Chorus.

Up is a very good flick, we all enjoyed it. Definitely worth viewing and makes you feel good. Sad in places, happy in others (Squirrel!)

The Chorus is a french movie complete with subtitles, which Mrs. P didn't realize until it started. Good story about a reformary school and a teacher that makes a difference. Think Mr. Holland's Final Opus, but in a much shorter time frame.

A friend of ours saw Shutter Island over the weekend and would only tell us "I walked out of there not really knowing what I just saw."

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Towelhead

The other night Katie and this Bear watched Towelhead. Despite the controversial topic the movie was handled very well. I had read some reviews that indicated it was a very good movie......had to see for myself.

The story is about a 13-year old girl.....her father is from Lebanon but now an American citizen, working for NASA. He is a combination of overly-conservative in the way he brings up his daughter and always trying to display his patriotism.....such as having a tall flagpole with the USA flag proudly displayed.

The girl's mother lives in another city and is bouncing around from man to man. The girl is just starting to explore her sexuality. That exploration leads to a rape (by the next door neighbor, an Army Reservist) and a sexual relationship with a well-to-do black teen from school. Of course, her father does not want her to be seen with a black person.

As the final credits scrolled we saw the name of the Director and writer: Alan Ball. Simultaneously we pointed to the TV screen....and laughed. During the movie we both had been thinking that Towelhead played a lot like other Alan Ball movies and TV series, including American Beauty and Six Feet Under.

The young woman who played the lead (as Jasira) did a superb job. The father and the next door neighbor were very well played. The flick holds your attention from the opening......quite graphic.....scene, to the very end. Some conservative groups were very vocal when this movie was in the theaters, calling it pronographic (sic)......it is not. It is controversial....and real.

I give this movie an 8.

Watch it if you get the chance.

The trailer is attached.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92_gGB5U3Pg

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
W

This past weekend we watched W, the George W. Bush biopic, with Josh Brolin in the title role. It was an interesting picture. I expected it to be harsher in its treatment of the subject at hand. Near as I can tell (and based on my less-than-first-hand-knowledge) it is reasonably accurate.

Brolin did a nice job of grabbing W's mannerisms and (somewhat) his voice. The pacing was somewhat erratic. Dems would argue that so was W's presidency.

I give this movie a 6.

Bear

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Friday afternoon I took myself to go see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I had heard about the book and knew the movie was supposed to be one a top grosser in Europe last year, but other than knowing it was a mystery, I really knew nothing else about it going in (especially since the U.S. trailer had no dialog since it was all in Swedish). It was sort of fun going to go see a movie that I knew so little about beforehand.

Besides having a bit of a predictable twist at the end, it was pretty good (although it's definitely not one to take the children to go see). I thought both of the two main actors (the male and female lead) were great and the scenery was gorgeous, but, I'm a sucker for foreign landscapes. I would have liked the movie to give a little more back story regarding the girl with the tattoo though s maybe I'll go back and read the book.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Saw How to Train your Dragon this weekend.

This is a really well-done movie. The color and detail were fab! And I giggled a lot, and laughed out loud a few times. I recommend it, even for those that don't have kids. The only thing - not all the voices "fit" the Viking setting. But it still worked.

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Saw How to Train your Dragon this weekend.

This is a really well-done movie. The color and detail were fab! And I giggled a lot, and laughed out loud a few times. I recommend it, even for those that don't have kids. The only thing - not all the voices "fit" the Viking setting. But it still worked.
Haven't seen it but I did see one review that concluded that the Vikings were from somewhere in the vicinity of Scotland by their speech.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Haven't seen it but I did see one review that concluded that the Vikings were from somewhere in the vicinity of Scotland by their speech.
Yeah, a couple of the Vikings were from the outer Isles of the UK, and another couple seemed to be from the great Viking settlement the United States, but the blend wasn't distracting. Perhaps we were supposed to think the funny-speaking Vikings were the results of raids?

Planit

Cyburbian
Took Wee P and her best friend to see How to Train Your Dragon a couple weeks ago and they both loved it. I thought I could just close my eyes and rest during the movie, but I liked it too, but I guess the vikings lived on one of the North Sea islands and couldn't figure out where they were from.

We rented Fantastic Mr. Fox this weekend and quite frankly didn't really like it especially with the kid. They said "What the Cuss" quite abit - I'd like to get the book and read it with Wee P.

Slept through Up In The Air this weekend as well - sorry lp...

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
as I posted on Facebook, I watched The Hangover last Saturday and I laughed so hard I was in tears - it was so outrageously bad that it was funny - OMG :lmao:

(hope you still respect me....:-$:a::h:)

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
as I posted on Facebook, I watched The Hangover last Saturday and I laughed so hard I was in tears - it was so outrageously bad that it was funny - OMG :lmao:

(hope you still respect me....:-$:a::h:)
I still respect you. I liked Superbad :-$

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Didn't see anybody else that mentioned "Kick_Ass".

On some levels, it was a very disturbing movie.

The little girl who played Hit Girl was the best actor in the movie. She will make a mint doing action movies in her lifetime. She could do a Buffy reboot and make it work really easy.

Nicolas Cage played Big Daddy. Very creepy character. Sort of like a Ned Flanders gone horribly wrong! :D

Not as bloody as it was made out to be, or maybe I am just used to it..... 8-!

All in all, I give the movie a solid B+/A-