• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Movie Review Thread

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Classic Gems Challenge

Here's a challenge for those of you who like movies. Step out of your comfort zone. Find and view the movies from this list. Let's call it "The Classic Gems Challenge". For this bundle of flicks I went to 1966 and worked back, so none of the gems that many of you might be familiar with, such as The Godfather, are included. These are some of my favorite movies. I challenge you to find them and view them.

Our Daily Bread
A depression-era oldie. Guy loses his job and his place to live, hears about a type of commune, where everything is shared. The guy and his wife go to the farming commune. Of course, the plot thickens as the young hussy steals his affections. The final minutes are some of the best cinema ever made.....an incredible view of commune members digging a miles-long ditch to get water to their starving crops.

Anatomy of a Murder
Filmed in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, this Jimmy Stewart classic is oft-considered the best courtroom drama in the history of film. A wonderful movie.

North By Northwest
Might be Hitchcock's best movie. Classic story of mistaken identity, with some of the most-famous scenes ever created. The final scenes on Mount Rushmore are tops.

Saboteur
Another great Hitchcock film. Robert Cummings is on the run because he was (falsely) accused of sabotage. The final scene, on the top of the Statue of Liberty, is super.

City For Conquest
James Cagney is a prize-fighter who falls for a beautiful dancer. His brother is a musician who writes a beautiful symphony for and about New York City. It is a clever mix of boxing, dancing, and music. I cannot watch it without crying at the end.

Doctor Zhivago
Classic big-budget love story, set in the period of the Russian Revolution. The scenes of the snow, the ice, the trains......wonderful. The massacre of the marchers on the street.....horrifying. A great movie. (With a young and beautiful Julie Christie. :p)

West Side Story
Romeo & Juliet set to New York City tenaments. Sharks vs Jets, rumble. Perhaps the best choreography ever.

Seven Days In May
Early 1960s political thriller that is quite timely for today. Mix together an unpopular President, an angry and obviously right-wing group of politicians and military men, and a plot to assume the highest office by kidnapping the President. The result is a movie I never tire of watching.
_____

Grab your bag, throw these movies into it, and view them. Give some classic gems a try.

Bear

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Doctor Zhivago
Classic big-budget love story, set in the period of the Russian Revolution. The scenes of the snow, the ice, the trains......wonderful. The massacre of the marchers on the street.....horrifying. A great movie. (With a young and beautiful Julie Christie. :p)
Now THAT is one of my favorite movies... A classic, indeed.

TexanOkie

Cyburbian
North By Northwest
Might be Hitchcock's best movie. Classic story of mistaken identity, with some of the most-famous scenes ever created. The final scenes on Mount Rushmore are tops.
I love the dialogue between Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint. If it were anyone besides Grant, it'd seem flat out corny.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mister Roberts

Last night I had a chance to watch Mister Roberts. With Henry Fonda in the title role, Jack Lemmon in an award-winning supporting role, and James Cagney in one of his final roles, this war movie (without a war) is a great watch. Fonda is seeing World War II drawing to a close and he wants sooooo much to be part of the fighting.....but he is stuck in a backwater position on a supply ship that has Cagney as the nearly-insane captain.

Even though it is generally a comedy it has some dark moments. And because logistics is in my own personal blood, seeing the story of a logistical supply ship delivering items such as toothbrushes, oranges and toilet paper, solidifies the backstories of that war.....and all the other wars.

A good movie for a Memorial Day weekend.

Bear

fringe

Cyburbian
Che, with Benicio del Toro.

Good if you like to watch Benicio's face, in which the camera rests often.

The second disc has the Bolivian story of Che, and is very strangely colored.

Not having been to Bolivia, I have to guess it looks like that.

Most affective for me was the film's portrayal of Che's asthmatic condition. Rather than elevating him to uber human mode, the film's portrayal brought him back to earth with a thud. Mostly it worked on showing his caring for others.

Planit

Cyburbian
Saw Sherk Ever After this weekend. Good movie and retells the story once again, but with a different twist. Kinda with a It's a Wonderful Life aspect. Good graphics, good for the kids and even some inside jokes for the parents. It was much better than the prevoius one and very close to par with the first.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Saw Robin Hood over the holiday weekend. For a summer movie, it was good. The costumes, weaponry, and fighting were historically accurate, and the scenery magnificent. In case you haven't read about it, the storyline is the pre-outlaw days, at the end of the Crusade. It's about what lead to his criminal status.
Accents were merely OK, storyline a bit weak in places, and some historical dates (King John's meeting with the barons, etc) were moved around, but most viewers wouldn't know that. And the invasion was completely made up.
If you're looking for an action flick that doesn't include explosions (the modern kind), and you like historical fiction, then this movie is a very good matinee choice, or a simply good regular price movie.

fringe

Cyburbian
Re Robin,

New Yorker's Anthony Lane says historical "facts" are much in dispute, even the 'Hood's very existence.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Re Robin,

New Yorker's Anthony Lane says historical "facts" are much in dispute, even the 'Hood's very existence.
Yes, it's hard to say a myth is "historically accurate". A friend even said the movie was an accurate representation of Robin's beginnings!!! :-c However, I think the era was well portrayed. Arrows in the neck, cavalry charges, flaming arrows, chain mail, castle layouts, etc were done well. It's like Braveheart in a way - tell the story of a man, and move historical dates around in the story so that the movie audience is well entertained.
Historical fiction, indeed!

The One

Cyburbian
I'll bite....

It's okay. I really enjoyed Hot Tub Time Machine.

So...anybody going to see MacGruber in the theater? ;):D
Yup....I did it....I admit it......not enough comedy in the world.....not enough time for me to forgive myself for spending full fare to see MacGruber in the theater8-!:not::r: Much like an accident scene you drive by with massive amounts of gore visible....

It took stupid movie to a whole new level, while at the same time providing a 1/2 dozen side splitting laugh out loud scenes. Break even I say.....still not enough good comedy in the world. :D

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Saw The A-Team this weekend.

If seen as a matinee in the hot summertime, 3 beers.:b::b::b:

If seen as a full-price movie, or seen in non-summertime, 2 beers. :b::b:

natski

Cyburbian
As many facebookers here may know- i saw Toy Story 3 on Friday- taking the parents and the teenage sister. Awesome movie- would recommend to all. Starts off slow- but gets pretty funny. It was touching at the end- so expect a tear or two (ok i bauled my eyes- but i cry at the drop of a hat in movies)/

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Rocky

This Bear watched Rocky this past weekend. First viewing of that classic boxing drama in years. Forgot just how good of a movie it is. Intelligent script, real people, very well done. Amazing that it was Sylvester Stallone's main entry into the movie bix.....he wrote it and played the part, very well. The flick had a budget of $1.1 million, made well over $200 million, and made a star out of Stallone.

The Apollo Creed character was a bit overblown......but you could also say that in today's celebrity showcase world, maybe not so much. And, yes, I had tears in the ole' blue marbles at the end when the bloody hulk Rocky was ignoring the hoopla about his performance in the ring and calling for his girl. "Adrian!" :)

I had no use for the follow-up movies. But what a career-starter this was. It won 3 Oscars, including Best Picture.

Bear

Random Traffic Guy

Cyburbian
As many facebookers here may know- i saw Toy Story 3 on Friday- taking the parents and the teenage sister. Awesome movie- would recommend to all. Starts off slow- but gets pretty funny. It was touching at the end- so expect a tear or two (ok i bauled my eyes- but i cry at the drop of a hat in movies)/
I would also recommend to all, but don't bother with the 3D version, it added nothing to it. I loved the adventure story that it starts out with, and would watch a full movie of scenes like that taken from a kid's imagination and adaption of various toys.

I was surprised to see an advertisement for a 3D home theater in the time wasters before the movie started. I would not have thought the theaters would accept an ad like that, since the size and quality of the cinema experience is one of their major (only) selling points right now...

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Jaws

Last night Katie and this Bear watched Jaws. It has been awhile since I watched that good flick. Fun stuff.

IMO, the performance by Robert Shaw was a bit overplayed. I had forgot how good Richard Dreyfus was in this movie. Of course, the technical aspects were good. Gotta ask, how successful would the movie have been if it did not have that incredible John Williams soundtrack. Chords you hear now and immediately think of sharks (and anything else that scares the hell out of you).

The movie reminds me of how much I like swimming in the Great Lakes.

Bear Scale Rating: 7

Bear

EDIT: Vid ad...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCI-gNK_y4

Last edited:

Rygor

Cyburbian
Rented "Synecdoche, New York" over the weekend.

WOW. It was one of those movies that I hardly understood at all while it was happening, then was able to piece together in my mind only at the end and after laying in bed thinking about it for a few hours. So many layers. So many analogies. Brilliant.

WARNING: Do not see if you don't like movies that make you have to work to understand them. If you do like those types of movies, the payoff is very rewarding if you see this one.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Rented "Synecdoche, New York" over the weekend.

WOW. It was one of those movies that I hardly understood at all while it was happening, then was able to piece together in my mind only at the end and after laying in bed thinking about it for a few hours. So many layers. So many analogies. Brilliant.

WARNING: Do not see if you don't like movies that make you have to work to understand them. If you do like those types of movies, the payoff is very rewarding if you see this one.
I loved that movie, too. I think it's time to see it again. Other movies in that same vein include "Being John Malkovich," "Adaptation," and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" - all written by Charlie Kaufman. I am definitely a fan.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Saw The Fourth Kind last weekend. Not sure what to think about it. The story is just odd, and the movie wasn't really put together all that great. They went to great lengths to make it seem like a true story, but it is obviously not. Kinda like Blair Witch. If you liked that you will like this.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Inception

OK, If everyone was in zero gravity (because the van that was to give them their "kick" was falling) how did that one guy get the elevator to fall?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Doctor Zhivago

This Bear is due. It has been a while since I pulled out the Doctor Zhivago DVD. A movie that is in my all-time Top 10. It has romance, ice, Russia, the Russian Revolution, Red Guards, White Guards, Bolsheviks.....and Julie Christie. :p:p:p

This weekend.....for those who know the flick.....Strelnikov!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAWrXTn5Www

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Once Upon A Time In America

Today I watched Once Upon A Time In America. I have it on a recorded VHS tape, so the picture quality is not the best. But the movie remains one of my all-time favorites. The story revolves around Jewish gangsters in New York City during Prohibition. The film jumps back and forth between time periods, using some interesting methods to show the change in decades. Example: Robert DeNiro, portraying "Noodles", is leaving on a bus, escaping the police and other gangsters. He exits through a gaudy train station door that is surrounded by a Coney Island picture. He then re-enters through the same door, many years later, and the picture is of New York and the door is within the inside of a painted "Big Apple". You have to see it. My description is poor.

James Woods, Tuesday Weld, Treat Williams, Elizabeth McGovern.....all join DeNiro in a movie that is filled with violence, love, lust, betrayal. Especially touching is one of the scenes that portray the gang when they are just street kids. A neighborhood girl will have sex with anybody who brings her a sweet treat. The young guy brings her a small cupcake but has to wait for her in the tenament hallway. He keeps slightly touching the sweet treat and finally eats it, giving up on sex and enjoying the treat.

Film fans take note: This was Jennifer Connelly's break-out role, even though she is only 12. She plays the girl (later woman, by Elizabeth McGoverm) who Noodles is in love with.

The musical score is haunting and incredible. I highly recommend this film. But please be aware.....it is just under 4 hours long. I love this film.

9 stars on a 10 star scale. :)

Bear

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The Expendables

(clears throat)

A bike-in tattoo parlor with a knife throwing board and mercenary regulars?

A tinpot third-world dictatorship where everyone in the military has the fighting skills of a MMA champion?

Come on ...

Now, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, and Chuck Norris ... THAT would have been the perfect action movie cast. Imagine the body count with those three on the screen.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Saw Harry Potter last week. Thought it was decent. It didn't feel like a 2 1/2 hr. movie. Definitely a set up for the final segment. Two thumbs up.

Saw Megamind yesterday as a matinee. Was decent. The graphics were more inspiring than the movie but wasn't a complete waste of time. 1 1/2 thumbs.

The One

Cyburbian
Ahhemm!

(clears throat)

A bike-in tattoo parlor with a knife throwing board and mercenary regulars?

A tinpot third-world dictatorship where everyone in the military has the fighting skills of a MMA champion?

Come on ...

Now, Clint Eastwood, Charles Bronson, and Chuck Norris ... THAT would have been the perfect action movie cast. Imagine the body count with those three on the screen.
<clears throat loudly> I think someone forgets a certain movie classic called COBRA with the highest body count EVER! Chuck Norris, Charles Bronson and Clint Eastwood all kill with surgical precision and with purpose. Rambo has a long history dedicated to the "body count."

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Saw Harry Potter last week. Thought it was decent. It didn't feel like a 2 1/2 hr. movie. Definitely a set up for the final segment. Two thumbs up.
Is it dark last the last two? I have enjoyed them much more since they became more adult movie than children's movies. Dark and deep with just a touch of kiddiness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dog Day Afternoon / John Cazale

One of my Christmas presents was a copy of the movie Dog Day Afternoon. Just finished watching it. Good movie.

A very young Al Pacino was super in this role of a gay bank robber and his accomplice, a scary gun-toting John Cazale. Memorable scenes from the film include a fired-up Pacino, on the sidewalk in front of the bank, yelling at the police and onlookers: "Attica! Attica! Attica!"

Note: I had to explain the reference to Attica to Katie. Some of us older Cyburbians probably remember the infamous New York prison riot with the same name.

Something I noticed.....and liked.....about this film: Often the police negotiator (Charles Durning) and Pacino are yelling at each other.....at the same time! Not too often in the movies do you see this.....writers do not want their lines not heard. Their yelling over each other creates a strong sense of realism to this flick.

I give it a 7. :D
_____

John Cazale has always been one of my favorite actors. Before he died at a very young 42, every film he appeared in was nominated for Best Picture. He was in.....

Dog Day Afternoon
The Deer Hunter
Godfather
Godfather II
The Conversation

Towerd the end of his life he was married to Meryl Streep, working together on The Deer Hunter. Even though he was dying of lung cancer, he continued to work to finish his scenes in that wonderful movie.
_____

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPb_tvb7WDE

Bear

otterpop

Cyburbian
Tbis Christmas weekend I went to see "Tron" and "True Grit." Sort of a Jeff Bridges weekend.

"Tron" was okay. Never saw the original, but my son loved the 3-D. The special effects were cool and Olivia Wilde looked great in her lighted catsuit.

"True Grit" was pretty good. Jeff Bridges did a good Rooster Cogburn. Matt Damon was definitely an improvement over Glen Campbell. The girl was amazing (Hallie Steinfeld?). In the original, Kim Darby was too old to play Mattie. In the remake, the girl had enough grit but also enough little girl to make her more believeable as Mattie. The moive cut out a few scenes that were in the book and the original movie, which was a shame, changed a few scenes for the worse and added two scenes that added nothing to the story. It was fun but not as good as the original.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I saw Restrepo last night on the National Geographic channel. Wow. I don't think I can say much more than wow. Amazing documentary about the war in Afghanistan in 2007. And as it turns out during the filming in the 15 month deployment the event that caused President Obama to give the Medal of Honor to a living person happened.

If you can you should see this. It really gives you some perspective on what it is like to be an American soldier. I know it gave this civilian a better perspective. Also, check out the website which has a 14 minute video about Staff Sgt. Giunta and what he thinks about the medal of honor and other topics.

Video has some language in it so it is probably NSFW, but if you are okay with hearing a couple F bombs and such, than you should watch. It is amazingly honest, and touching.

http://restrepothemovie.com/

natski

Cyburbian
I saw The Kings Speech last week- it was great! :D Very well acted and shot.

Rygor

Cyburbian
Has anybody seen "The Fighter" with Mark Wahlberg? I kind of want to see that based on the previews but am looking for a second opinion.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I've been on a Harry Nilsson music kick lately after watching Who is Harry Nilsson? on NetFlix a couple days ago.

He's always been one of my favorite songwriters and I love his voice. The movie gave a pretty good insight into his private life and had a lot of good commentary from others in the world of music and show business who worked with him. My only complaint is that there wasn't enough footage of him performing; I would have really enjoyed that.

I've always thought he was really an underrated artist and cannot believe that even now, after his death when it's probably cheaper, that producers aren't clamoring for the rights to put his music in commercials and/or movies (though I imagine there are still some good royalty checks coming in for Coconut and his version of Everybody's Talkin').

Now I just need to wait for movies all about the life and careers of Randy Newman and Brian Wilson...

natski

Cyburbian
I went and saw Tangled on the weekend. I love a good Disney cartoon and this was fantastic. Two thumbs up from me :D

btrage

Cyburbian
I went and saw Tangled on the weekend. I love a good Disney cartoon and this was fantastic. Two thumbs up from me :D
Tangled was good.

Saw Black Swan over the weekend. Still not sure about the film as a whole. But Natalie Portman was awesome.

Planit

Cyburbian
Wifey rented Date Night with Steve Carrell and Tina Fey. Cute is the best to discribe it. It was okay for a rental.

The funniest part to me was when those 2 had guns pointed at them by a mob boss and others and Tina Fey's character said they were going to be "Whacked off" to which Steve Carrell's character replies "we will get whacked or bumped off, but not whacked off"

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Just saw Amelie. I'm not sure why, because usually I'm not too big into foreign films or "love stories", but this is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Maybe it was the frame of mind I was in when I saw it, but I loved this movie.

In a weird way it reminded me of one of my other all time favorite movies, The Royal Tenebaums.

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
What the Cuss?!?!?!

Just saw Amelie. I'm not sure why, because usually I'm not too big into foreign films or "love stories", but this is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Maybe it was the frame of mind I was in when I saw it, but I loved this movie.

In a weird way it reminded me of one of my other all time favorite movies, The Royal Tenebaums.
The Royal Tenenbaums was good, are you a fan of Wes Anderson? Fantastic Mr. Fox is probably my all time favorite movie at this point. I'm not sure what to make of The Life Aquatic though, that movie was just plain weird, but in a somewhat fascinating way.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Amelie is one of my favorite movies. It doesn't hurt that Audrey Tautou is a hottie!

Last weekend I watched The Boy in Striped Pajamas. It was an interesting and sad movie about the son of a Nazi official during the holocaust.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Finally got around to Inception over the weekend. Mindf..ck is the best way to describe it, but in a good way.

Very cool and actually genuinely nerve-wracking during the climax, which lasted 6 seconds, 3 minutes, or 20 minutes depending on your point of view. ;)

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Amelie is one of my favorite movies. It doesn't hurt that Audrey Tautou is a hottie!

is that the girl? Or the guy? I agree the girl is a little hottie:-$

The Royal Tenenbaums was good, are you a fan of Wes Anderson? Fantastic Mr. Fox is probably my all time favorite movie at this point. I'm not sure what to make of The Life Aquatic though, that movie was just plain weird, but in a somewhat fascinating way.
Havent seen Mr. Fox but I do enjoy Wes Anderson movies. Have you ever seen bottle rocket? That's another great one.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
is that the girl? Or the guy? I agree the girl is a little hottie:-$
The girl silly. My daughter absolutely loves this movie. I think she's seen most of the French subtitled movies on Netflix that have been produced in the last 15 years.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Harlan County, USA

Yesterday I viewed the award-winning mid-1970s documentary, Harlan County, USA. Over the period of about a year the filmmakers were in Harlan County, KY, recording the events (and the actions of the people) during one of many infamous coal miner's strikes.

The miner's were in battle with a Kentucky coal mining company that was backed by "big boy" Duke Power. They were striking for the right to establish a United Mine Worker's union at this mine. The strike was finally settled after one of the strikers on the picket line was fatally shot in the face. That horrible death brought the mine owners to the negotiating table.

The film is very well done. There is no voice over, just simple overlays that indicate who is talking (and being filmed) and notes indicating how many months it has been since the strike began. The brunt of the picketing and the violent stand-offs with company-hired replacements (called "scabs", of course) is done by the miner's wifes.

The film takes an obvious pro-union view but it is still an effective visual slice of life and union organizing in the mountains of eastern Kentucky. I recommend this film.

Bear Rating: 8

Bear

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Finally got around to Inception over the weekend. Mindf..ck is the best way to describe it, but in a good way.

Very cool and actually genuinely nerve-wracking during the climax, which lasted 6 seconds, 3 minutes, or 20 minutes depending on your point of view. ;)
It is a pretty good sci-fi movie. Mindf...ck is a pretty good way to describe it. The scenes with is wife were pretty good. It added to the surrealness of it, almost Dali-esque. I'd recommend d it to other Cyburbs.

btrage

Cyburbian
As someone who is not generally a fan of "kid movies", I absolutely love Despicable Me. Funny, entertaining, touching. It actually makes me love my daughters more than I already do.

Planit

Cyburbian
Despicable Me is a family favorite now. We've probably watched it a doazen times.

Went to see Rango last weekend. Odd beginning but a pretty decent movie. The kid loved it (although now as much as Despicable Me) and tried to say Rrrrrrrrango - rolling the r - all the way home.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Civil War Movies
as listed in Parade Magazine that i have seen

2. Gone with the Wind
3. The Red Badge of Courage
5. Glory

missing is Gettysburg.