• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Movie Review Thread

Rygor

Cyburbian
Has anybody seen "The Fighter" with Mark Wahlberg? I kind of want to see that based on the previews but am looking for a second opinion.
Finally saw this last night on DVD. Very good movie. Some parallels to Rocky but a modern take and it also follows the main character's (Mickey's) relationship with his family and especially his messed up older brother.

I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Feelin a little under the weather this weekend, which was a great opportunity for me to scratch a few movies off the list. I decided to watch 127 Hours, Synecdoche New York, and Inland Empire. That’s right, my couch had an ass-groove by the end of this weekend.

127 Hours was great. I’m a huge fan of Danny Boyle. I think I still liked Trainspotting best out of his movies, but this one was still great. My favorite part is that it was short and sweet. I could barely even sit through Avatar in theaters because it was soooooo long. I would recommend this to just about anyone (except for the one gory scene in the movie, that may be a little to much for the weak stomachs).

Synecdoche New York was even better. Warning: Do not watch this movie alone like I did, it is one of the most depressing movies I have ever watched. Nonetheless, I would have sooner given Phillip Seymour Hoffman the award for this rather than Capote. Amazing visual effects as well. I’m surprised by how few people I talk to have hard of this movie. It was fantastic, I can’t believe it didn’t get more hype.

Inland Empire. Wow. I don’t know what it is about David Lynch movies (morbid curiosity I suppose), but I can never look away. I think I have seen every one of his movies, even the extremely bizarre Eraserhead, and Inland Empire was even MORE difficult to understand what was going on (can you tell this is an Indie film?) Apparently, Lynch was acting completely insane during the filming; constantly writing and re-writing the script and frequently disappearing etc. I will say, however, that some parts of the movie were so creepy it made me shiver. If anyone has ever experienced that really bizarre period of dreaming where you know you are dreaming and you are literally lying in bed aware of this fact, yet you continue to act out and interact with whatever dream sequence is taking place, that’s what this movie reminds me of. I don’t know if I would recommend this movie to everyone but the avid Lynch fans out there should definitely give it a shot.

Okay, that’s all I got. Time to get back to work…

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I was thoroughly prepared to dislike Unstoppable, but ended up getting inexorably drawn into the story regardless. I figured it would be another Speed but was pleasantly surprised to find they actually made some effort to develop characters (keep in mind this is an action flick). I can't but help to like Denzel Washington it seems in just about any film he's in. Whatever he's selling I seem to be buying, and this film was no exception. The casting was brilliant, notably the choice of Ethan Suplee ('Randy' from My Name is Earl) in the role of The Screw-up and Washington, of course, in the role of engineer Frank Barnes.

I give it three stars.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
LOTR

Over a few weekends in April I watched all three episodes of Lord of the Rings. All three were very good. It was my first viewing of LOTR since the flicks came out, nearly a decade ago. I remain impressed at how faithful to the books that the movie versions were. Yes, some parts were eliminated......but even with those deletions each flick was about 3 hours long.

I have read the books probably about 6 to 8 times. Watching Frodo and the gang gave me an urge to read them again. Maybe this summer!

The soundtrack was excellent, the scenery superb, the special effects dazzling. I enjoyed all three!

Bear

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Anyone seen Thor yet? I'm thinking about taking my Little Sister (from the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization) to see it, but I was hoping someone here could tell me if it's worth it.

She's an immature 13 year old. Will she get it?

Rygor

Cyburbian
Feelin a little under the weather this weekend, which was a great opportunity for me to scratch a few movies off the list. I decided to watch 127 Hours, Synecdoche New York, and Inland Empire. That’s right, my couch had an ass-groove by the end of this weekend.

127 Hours was great. I’m a huge fan of Danny Boyle. I think I still liked Trainspotting best out of his movies, but this one was still great. My favorite part is that it was short and sweet. I could barely even sit through Avatar in theaters because it was soooooo long. I would recommend this to just about anyone (except for the one gory scene in the movie, that may be a little to much for the weak stomachs).

Synecdoche New York was even better. Warning: Do not watch this movie alone like I did, it is one of the most depressing movies I have ever watched. Nonetheless, I would have sooner given Phillip Seymour Hoffman the award for this rather than Capote. Amazing visual effects as well. I’m surprised by how few people I talk to have hard of this movie. It was fantastic, I can’t believe it didn’t get more hype.

Inland Empire. Wow. I don’t know what it is about David Lynch movies (morbid curiosity I suppose), but I can never look away. I think I have seen every one of his movies, even the extremely bizarre Eraserhead, and Inland Empire was even MORE difficult to understand what was going on (can you tell this is an Indie film?) Apparently, Lynch was acting completely insane during the filming; constantly writing and re-writing the script and frequently disappearing etc. I will say, however, that some parts of the movie were so creepy it made me shiver. If anyone has ever experienced that really bizarre period of dreaming where you know you are dreaming and you are literally lying in bed aware of this fact, yet you continue to act out and interact with whatever dream sequence is taking place, that’s what this movie reminds me of. I don’t know if I would recommend this movie to everyone but the avid Lynch fans out there should definitely give it a shot.

Okay, that’s all I got. Time to get back to work…
I completely agree on Synecdoche, NY. Great movie. It took almost until the very end for me to piece it together the first time I watched it but once I figured out what was going on I was putting it all together in my mind for hours afterwards and couldn't even sleep that night because I was seeing how it all fit together. I could watch it 5 times and still be finding little metaphors and references in there. That's a mark of a great movie.

I shall have to see both 127 Hours and Inland Empire. Have heard good things about both.

Another movie I have to see is Win Win. I know somebody who saw it and they loved it, plus 95% on Rotten Tomatoes is almost unheard of. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/win_win_2011/

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Another movie I have to see is Win Win. I know somebody who saw it and they loved it, plus 95% on Rotten Tomatoes is almost unheard of. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/win_win_2011/
I haven't even heard of this movie and it's got a higher percentage than the Dark Knight! Haha, I guess I gotta get with the times and check it out.

Also, if anyone out there hasn't already seen Sling Blade, cancel your weekend plans. This movie is more important hrmmm;)

imaplanner

Cyburbian
Just saw "Let me in" on netflix instant. Wow what a good movie- if you like really well done creepy vampire movies. Luckily I love those kind of movies!:)

Honestly this is one of the better movies I have seen in a very long time.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Kids Are Alright

Last night I watched The Kids Are Alright. It was a good flick with strong performances by all the main characters, especially Annette Bening. You probably are aware of the main plotline.....lesbian couple with children (created via the magic of a sperm donor :)) meet the donor, years after the children are born. The donor, played by a laid-back Mark Ruffalo, and the family get close.....too close.....Ruffalo's character and Bening's life-partner Julianne Moore :p enter into a do-the-nasty relationship.

What I found interesting is that this is really a movie about an extra-marital affair, "new century" style. The hurt caused by an affair is not limited to "normal" (traditional) families. This movie handled it well.

Bear Rating = 7

Bear

TerraSapient

Cyburbian
Just saw "Let me in" on netflix instant. Wow what a good movie- if you like really well done creepy vampire movies. Luckily I love those kind of movies!:)
That was a good movie! A little icky sometimes, but overall very well done.

Last night I watched The Kids Are Alright. It was a good flick with strong performances by all the main characters, especially Annette Bening...
I was super excited to see this film when it first came out, but ended up hating it. I cannot figure out why Hollywood must make every movie that features a strong lesbian character a story about a lesbian lusting after a man. Why do they always do that? Why? Why? Why? You never see movies about straight men lusting after a gay man or movies about a gay man lusting after a woman. Yet so many movies with lesbian characters have this in their plot line somewhere.

Didn't see Harry Potter this weekend, but it seems a lot of people did...
It was good, but like many other films that are the last of their story lines, the ending was exceedingly long.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Watched Winnie the Pooh last weekend with the family and was very happy with it. It is a real children's movie that's not trying to be anything but a good movie for children. Plus, it was funny in that some much of the humor was intrinsic to the action and characters and was simple pleasant.

Good use of an hour+ during the heat wave of 2011.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tammy Faye

Recently watched The Eyes Of Tammy Faye. Interesting, somewhat informative. I came away with a more positive view of her. The documentary seemed fair. (It is somewhat dated, filmed more than a decade ago.)

Bear Scale: 6

Bear

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I promised my Little I'd take her to see Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and so I did. Not as bad as I expected, I actually laughed out loud a couple of times, but it was very obvious I wasn't the taget audience. It was longer than I expected, too - which of course meant more time to blow things up.
My Little, however, loved it!

So I give it 2 stars, and she would give it 3.5.

natski

Cyburbian
I promised my Little I'd take her to see Transformers: Dark of the Moon, and so I did. Not as bad as I expected, I actually laughed out loud a couple of times, but it was very obvious I wasn't the taget audience. It was longer than I expected, too - which of course meant more time to blow things up.
My Little, however, loved it!

So I give it 2 stars, and she would give it 3.5.
My BF made me go see this movie with him a couple of weeks ago. He enjoyed watching things blow up and the eye candy. I clearly wasnt their target audience either :D:r:

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
We finally watched the movie Inception last night. I know it was nominated for all sorts of awards - and I remember it received a lot of good reviews - but I was disappointed. There was almost too much action, and not enough focus on the more intriguing aspects of the plot. My husband even went to bed without finishing it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Watched Winnie the Pooh last weekend with the family and was very happy with it. It is a real children's movie that's not trying to be anything but a good movie for children. Plus, it was funny in that some much of the humor was intrinsic to the action and characters and was simple pleasant.

Good use of an hour+ during the heat wave of 2011.
We took Junior to see Winnie the Pooh a couple weeks ago. I liked how they have returned to the 'original formula'. You're right, it was refreshing to see a movie that didn't try to appeal to adults too by throwing in lots of pop culture references (and it seems everyone tries to do that now) and simply tried to appeal to kids. It was very much like the classic Winnie the Pooh features from a generation ago. Although I will say John Cleese is not Sebastian Cabot.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
My wife and I went to the movies yesterday to see Moneyball. It was only our second trip to the theatre since our daughter was born last summer (we used to go at least once a week).

We had both heard that Moneyball was good but I was a little apprehensive that about a sports movie where I already knew the outcome and that was going to be full of statistics. The movie pulled it off pretty well though and besides Brad Pitt, I think Jonah Hill really made the movie. It was nice to see him in something other than a comedy.

It would have been nice (but probably ruined the fun) if they would have told you how mediocre the A's have become since 2002 and especially how bad the main players that the movie focused on had become.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
^^I too saw Moneyball this weekend. While not my normal movie type, I was taking my dad - and sports movies are his thing. I liked it, because it explained the numbers game to me better than reading about it would have. He thought it was pretty good too, and even commented that the game scenes looked like real players, rather than a bunch of actors trying to play the game.

Some of the people in the movie are still around. Wash - the infield coach - is now with the Texas Rangers as head coach/manager.

One quote I can't seem to shake:
Beane: No more stealing base.
Player: But you pay me to steal bases.
Beane: No, I pay you to get on first, not to get thrown out at second.
Player: look of comprehension crosses his face

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
^^I too saw Moneyball this weekend... the game scenes looked like real players, rather than a bunch of actors trying to play the game.
I know the guy who played David Justice was an actual big league player for a few years and decided to go into acting when his career began to fizzle.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Did anyone see Courageous this weekend? The wife and I wanted to see it, but the only show we were able to attend was sold out already. From what I hear, it is one of the best movies of all time.

I wonder how well it will do knowing it is a faith based movie. While I hear that it is very entertaining, the message behind it is the important part. I know I will see it before it leaves the theaters.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Deer Hunter

Home recuperating so plenty of time to watch my favorite movie of all-time: The Deer Hunter. Wonderful performances by the entire cast and probably (IMO) the best example of character development ever presented on film. The musical score is excellent, the location scenes superb.

This is a long movie, with well-drawn-out scenes. When it is over you will be stunned.....or at the least, you should be. The Deer Hunter is not really an anti-war flick.....it is the story of the relationships of a small group of friends and how the Vietnam War affected their lives.

This is a superb excursion into movie excellence.

Bear

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Home recuperating so plenty of time to watch my favorite movie of all-time: The Deer Hunter. Wonderful performances by the entire cast and probably (IMO) the best example of character development ever presented on film. The musical score is excellent, the location scenes superb.

This is a long movie, with well-drawn-out scenes. When it is over you will be stunned.....or at the least, you should be. The Deer Hunter is not really an anti-war flick.....it is the story of the relationships of a small group of friends and how the Vietnam War affected their lives.

This is a superb excursion into movie excellence.

Bear

One of my favorite things to discuss with roomates in college was war movies. I think the best conversations always came from discussing the different perspectives on Vietnam from Deer Hunter, Platoon, and Apocalypse Now. I always appreciated Apocalypse Now first, Deer Hunter second, and Platoon the least, but I guess that's to be expected from a college boy like me. Someone who had actually been over there may have appreciated the more personal approach taken by the other two movies.

Just recently saw Thor. Meh. It kept me interested enough, but I wouldn't consider it worth a second viewing.

Has anyone seen Drive? I think I am on the fence whether this movie is worth going to the theater or just waiting to rent.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
All The President's Men

Last week I Amazoned a copy of All The President's Men. A great movie, from start to finish. And having watched the whole Watergate affair screen into our living rooms day after day, watching this flick creates a great sense of appreciation in the doggedy facts chase that the reporters went through. It also serves as a reminder that the transfer of power was orderly. This movie should be required in Civics classes in junior/senior high school.

Bear Scale: 8

Bear

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
The Hubby and I went to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night. I've been looking forward to the movie (yes, I've read the books and seen the Swedish films). The movie didn't disappoint. It felt a bit truer to the book than the Swedish version, and I like the Swedish version. Though I believe the American ending is a bit different from the book, but I'm not sure, I'm going to have to pull it out and read it again!! I would recommend the movie but it is not for the weak stomached. There are many violent graphic scenes and one scene of animal cruelty. :(

Daniel Craig did a good job but I had a difficult time divorcing him from Bond. He still looked yummy, either way.

Rooney Mara did a pretty good job as Lisbeth. At times I felt she was too pretty to be true to the book but it is Hollywood.

Robin Wright (Penn) played Erica and did an okay job but her neck will freak you out and stare at you through the entire movie.

otterpop

Cyburbian
For my Christmas present my son took me to the movies. We went to see "Hugo." Directed by Martin Scorcese, you knew it was bound to be good and it was. Visually powerful. The whole hidden world inside the walls of the train station was well-defined. Sasha Baron Cohen (who I normally don't care for) was very good as the disabled railroad inspector. Ben Kingsley was great as usual. One of my favorite actresses - Emily Mortimer had a small role. The two kids were very good. In all, a good movie and a good time was had by us both.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The Hubby and I went to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last night. I've been looking forward to the movie (yes, I've read the books and seen the Swedish films). The movie didn't disappoint. It felt a bit truer to the book than the Swedish version, and I like the Swedish version. Though I believe the American ending is a bit different from the book, but I'm not sure, I'm going to have to pull it out and read it again!! I would recommend the movie but it is not for the weak stomached. There are many violent graphic scenes and one scene of animal cruelty. :(

Daniel Craig did a good job but I had a difficult time divorcing him from Bond. He still looked yummy, either way.

Rooney Mara did a pretty good job as Lisbeth. At times I felt she was too pretty to be true to the book but it is Hollywood.

Robin Wright (Penn) played Erica and did an okay job but her neck will freak you out and stare at you through the entire movie.
Thanks-I've also seen the Swedish version and read the book. Currently, I'm reading the second one in the trilogy

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I stayed home from work sick on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week so what better movie to watch while I was in a state of forced quarantine in the den? Contagion

I remembered seeing previews for it and really wanted to see it but it's definitely not my wife's type of movie and with a baby in the house it's hard to get out to the theater anyway. But this past weekend, one of my sisters mentioned it to me and it re-sparked the desire to see it in my brain.

The movie was pretty good and seemed to give a realistic portrayal of the process that goes into a disease turning into an epidemic. I especially liked the cinematography. I don't know what you would call it but it seemed to be shot in the same style as movies like Children of Men or 28 Days Later (I'm sure there are probably some happier movies to use the same style but I cannot think of any off the top of my head). The look was very gritty with plenty of single shot sequences. I wish the movie would have followed Jude Law's character's story a bit more though or shown a bit more of the fake news clips giving death tolls. I want to know how many people died damnit!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I watched "The Help" recently, and RJ saId something about that must be interesting for you since I'm from the south and my family employed maids. Not in Jackson Miss as in the movie, and not in the early 60's in my memory (tho' they were there then,I was too young to remember). I am conflicted, really. Enjoyed the book;the movie was very good. Not quite our experience inFL, though,I don't think. But I may be stupid.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The Help / The Day After

One of the Christmas presents that Katie asked for was for a DVD of the movie The Help. Santa did not disappoint her so we watched it on Christmas Eve. Good flick. Well-acted, good pacing to the story. Katie had read the book, this Bear had not. During the movie she was somewhat shocked at the attitudes of some of the folks. She shouldn't be, it existed (somewhat). On the Bear Scale I give this movie a 6.

Yesterday I watched The Day After, in snippets on You Tube. Still a damn scary scene when the doctor, played by Jason Robards, is on the freeway between Lawrence, KS and Kansas City and the mushroom clouds rise from the Kansas/Missouri metroplex. I remember when the movie was aired on television. About 100 million people tuned-in. President Reagan viewed the made-for-TV offering a few days before it was broadcast. Debatable whether the Prez was heavily-influenced, though strategic talks with the Ruskis did jump-start a while after the broadcast.

The movie is never clear about who pushed "the button" first. It makes a reference to Soviet ICBMs "in the air" at the same time that our folks have been given direct orders to launch. Imagine the horror of the Missouri farmer, with a missle silo near his land, seeing (and hearing) the American ICBMs roar out of their holes. One of the movie characters, seeing the trails in the sky, says, "It only takes 30 minutes to reach their target." The man standing next to him says, "And the same time for their's to reach us."

If you have never seen the movie (or it has been a while since you viewed it) you can watch it on You Tube, in (pardon the pun) short bursts. The horrifying scenes are in, I think, Part 6 or 7.

Bear Scale: 8
_____

Bear

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Watched the Sherlock Holmes sequel earlier this week. It was very much along the lines of the first film and I enjoyed it immensely for what it was (don't go in expecting a faithful recreation of Conan Doyle). Best of all are the scenes where you see into Sherlock Holmes mind as he calculates/anticipates the sequence of actions during fights in slo mo and then play out the scene afterwards speeded up. Near the end of the film there is a scene where Holmes is contemplating attacking his arch nemesis Moriarty and after they show the slo mo sequence Moriarty says 'don't think you're the only one who can play that game' and proceeds to do his own slo mo calculation sequence.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Revolutionary Road

Tonight as we waited for the arrival of 2012, Katie and this Bear watched the 2008 flick Revolutionary Road. We had viewed it a couple years ago. Good movie. Katie Winslet is her usual "amazing" in the female lead. Leonardo DeCaprio was good as was Michael Shannon (in a minor role). The movie is a solid character study of a married couple, unhappy with their life and their choices. As the movie progresses we come to realize that Kate Winslet's character cannot love.....her husband or her children.

If you have gone through the end dance of a relationship this movie has the potential to leave you somewhat uneasy. It left me uneasy.

Katie noticed the pacing and the music and commented that it had the feel of an Alan Ball offering. He was responsible for American Beauty (producer) and that wonderful movie had the same director as Revolutionary Road, Sam Mendes. They are somewhat similar in "feel".

Bear Scale: 7

Bear

HomerJ

Cyburbian
Watched Melancholia last night. It's a strange, interesting, and very depressing movie. Throughout the movie I was very frustrated by Kristen Dunst's character (Justine) and her incredibly odd behavior at the beginning, but it all makes a lot more sense by the end, so it's worth sitting through IMO.

Visually and musically, it's fantastic. As far as the writing and the actual story, I'd say it was ok. I think it's definitely worth watching at least once...

Salmissra

Cyburbian
We watched Horrible Bosses last night. LMAO, and my husband actually laughed out loud several times! Two thumbs way up!

The scene in Bobby's house with the dust buster was great - total clueless! And "Gregory" was cute.

Planit

Cyburbian
Took the girl and her friend to see the Adventures of Tin Tin on a rainy cold Saturday. It was very good and kept in line with the original (which I had seen a couple of). Its set up well for another 'adventure'

Its worth a rental (we saw it at the dollar cinema), good action, story line, and animations.

Otis

Cyburbian
Watched Midnight in Paris. What a great movie! The Hemmingway characterization is outstanding.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
The American

Last night I watched George Clooney in The American. Slow pacing, not a lot of talking, Clooney exhibiting a character who is sullen and withdrawn (because of the events that take place in the opening scenes). The movie does not go into detail in explaining some of the who and why aspects.....we are left to figure these things out as you go. The flick held my interest, which included some rather steamy sex scenes. :p

I liked the ending because it didn't hold back.

Bear Scale: 5

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
The kid got me a blu-ray of "Close Encounters" for x-mas (along with a few other of my favorite movies) and we were watching it the other day. In one scene, Richard Dreyfus is reading about the little boy Barry's disappearance in the newspaper. It was about the "kidnaping". :r:

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Paris

Had a chance to (again) watch Paris, a 2008 French movie starring Juliette Binoche :p. Now I remember why I liked it when I first viewed it.....it is quite good. It involves a diverse set of characters going about their lives in Paris. Binoche's brother, a dancer, needs a heart transplant. He spends most of his time standing on his porch watching the Paris world go around. Binoche comes to live with him.....to cheer him up and (at the same time) get over her failed marriage. There are other characters with just as much film time yet this is not a movie where they all somehow meet in the end. Paris is a painting. A painting that I liked very much.

(Watched it on The Sundance Channel, in case you were wondering.)

Bear

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
RJ and I just watched Moneyball and we thought it was terrific (except he apparently hates "flashbacks" in movies...): humor, quirky characters, fairly fast-paced (unlike actual baseball...).

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tora! Tora! Tora!

Today I watched (not my first time) the semi-documentary movie that focused on the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, Tora, Tora, Tora. The movie gives equal weight to both American and Japanese dealings in the days before the attack. The Oscar-winning special effects were, considering it was a 1970 movie, quite good. The semi-documentary flow doesn't bother with personal relationships, love interests, yadda......the usual fare for war flicks. The movie has been pronounced as "relatively accurate".

This Bear is a fan of war movies and this film rates high with me.

Bear

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I just picked up a vhs copy of 'Tora Tora Tora' at the library sale for 50 cents. Am looking forward to seeing it.

Took Junior to see 'The Lorax' last weekend. I enjoyed watching it. It's not a faithful re-telling of the Seuss' tv special from 40 years ago. New characters are introduced which help personalize the environmental/consumerism commentary and the ending is a bit different as well. Like just about every CG cartoon these days the animation is slick and story sails along without any dull intervals one might expect from what is ultimately a children's movie. Betty White's character got big laughs too. I intend to buy the DVD when it comes out.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
Went to see Rock of Ages with a friend.

If you're in the mood for some laughs (some giggles too, but hey - we're girls!), fun music, BIG hair, and some flat out crazy dialogue, then this is the movie for you. The soundtrack is great - even the actors that usually can't sing have been "fixed" to sound at least not-cringe-worthy. The premise is entertaining and involves no thought, and the actors looked to be having a good time. The kid playing the male lead is good - he has a singing background so it wasn't hard to listen to him.

There's about 15-20 minutes of unnecessary film. It's not in a chunck; it's more like some scenes could have been shorter. There's a couple of scenes that a small child should not see.

For matinee price, I'd give it 2 thumbs up. If I'd paid full price, then only 1 thumb.

Rygor

Cyburbian
The fiancee and I have been a a big movie kick of late, buying a bunch of used ones at the local joint and watching one almost every day.

My ratings:
Snow White and the Huntsman - saw this at the theater. Very contrived. Great visual scenes but the plot is exactly what you expect minus one twist, which you can almost guess from the title of the movie. The female lead who played Snow White leaves a lot to be desired. 2 stars

Into the Wild - Loved this movie. Amazing visual scenes. You are really drawn into the characters world and feel as though you are part of his physical and spiritual journey the entire time. Based on a true story. 4 stars

Ronin - DeNiro at his finest. Some of the greatest and most realistic car chase scenes of all time. 3 1/2 stars

The Italian Job - Another fast paced heist movie, also with some great (although less realistic) chase scenes. I think this one put Jason Statham on the map. 3 1/2 stars

Rob Roy - Epic movie in the vein of Braveheart. Liam Neeson and Jessica Lange are strong characters in this tale of a Scottish landowner fighting for his and his family's honor. 4 stars

Last of the Mohicans - I hadn't seen this in forever and it was as good as I remembered. A historical action/drama taking place during the French & Indian War with Daniel Day Lewis and (a very hot) Madeleine Stowe. 4 stars

City of God - This is a Brazilian movie (subtitled) about life in the slums outside of Rio de Janeiro and militant gangs that create a reign of terror and control through drug dealing and extreme violence. Excellent and realistic potrayal that I'm sure is not that exaggerated. 4 stars

The Celestine Prophecy - Based on the book of the same name, although I think this is a badly adapted version. Some cheesy acting, plot, and special effects kill what could have been an insightful movie. 1 1/2 stars

Chasing Amy - I think this is by far Kevin Smith's best work. A story about a comic book artist who falls in love with another female artist (Joey Lauren Adams) only to find out she is gay. He is forced to question his previously held beliefs as she turns her own world (and his) upside down for him, but he can't let go of his visions of her past, which ultimately kills any chance they had of making it work. 3 1/2 stars

Top Bottom