• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Movie Review Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had the day off on Friday and wanted to go to the movies. There wasn't much out that I really wanted to see so I blindly went into Mortal Engines. All I knew is that it was produced or directed or something by Peter Jackson and there were big cities on wheels.

The movie was incredibly stupid but still a lot of fun - it was basically non-stop action and everything was really nice to look at so it kept me interested on a quiet Friday afternoon. And it was something I'm glad I saw on the big screen instead of on my TV at home. It reminded me of the movie Maze Runner that my wife and I watched a couple years ago because there was nothing else on.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I had the day off on Friday and wanted to go to the movies. There wasn't much out that I really wanted to see so I blindly went into Mortal Engines. All I knew is that it was produced or directed or something by Peter Jackson and there were big cities on wheels.

The movie was incredibly stupid but still a lot of fun - it was basically non-stop action and everything was really nice to look at so it kept me interested on a quiet Friday afternoon. And it was something I'm glad I saw on the big screen instead of on my TV at home. It reminded me of the movie Maze Runner that my wife and I watched a couple years ago because there was nothing else on.
Thanks for posting that. I've been kicking going to go see that it. It looks cool but has gotten bombed on the reviews.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Stayed up a smidge too late watching Hell or High Water last night.

Very good modern Western/crime story/slice of life movie.

DVD

Cyburbian
Daughter says Captain Marvel is awesome and Goose is the best character. I have no other reference to give you other than a 10 yo girl who went with her friends family and didn't invite me.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Captain Marvel was good - it explains a few unanswered questions for me and ties together the inevitability of all the other characters in a future movie

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I didn't like Captain Marvel as much as I was hoping to, I think because I didn't know anything about her beforehand and knew very little about the whole war for the universe and species fighting each other plot, so it was a bit confusing. I was also really confused as to why she had basically the same name as Supergirl. o_O But all that was cleared up for me after the movie, so I think I'll enjoy it more whenever I see it with the kiddos.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I didn't like Captain Marvel as much as I was hoping to, I think because I didn't know anything about her beforehand and knew very little about the whole war for the universe and species fighting each other plot, so it was a bit confusing. I was also really confused as to why she had basically the same name as Supergirl. o_O But all that was cleared up for me after the movie, so I think I'll enjoy it more whenever I see it with the kiddos.
I was listening to a review of Captain Marvel from Glen Weldon on NPR. He specifically reviews comic book movies and comic books and pop culture stuff and is a big superhero fan. He liked the movie but he admitted that Captain Marvel has always had one of the dumber backstories.

That said, I'd like to see Captain Marvel. I also still want to see Infinity War and then End Game when that comes out in another few weeks.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm a Tarantino fanboy so I went and took myself to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night. I had heard mixed reviews which basically boiled down to it was a) spectacularly awesome or b) the most violet, horrible, misogynistic thing Tarantino has directed.

I'm in the first camp. It started off slow and built to a pretty good
alternative history of an
ending.
Save for the last bit of the movie, it really wasn't all that violent at all, and definitely not as much as his previous few movies.

It may be a bit a of recency bias but this might be my favorite Tarantino movie since Jackie Brown. I don't think writing actual stories is Tarantino's strong suit and I think that's partly why I always enjoy Jackie Brown so much - it has his directing style but it was written by Elmore Leonard who is 1000x better of a story teller. While Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is by no means a true story, it uses the Manson family murders as a framing device and it looks like Tarantino tried to incorporate a lot of the actual elements of Manson and his followers into this story so that didn't let him stray too far off into crazytown.

FWIW - the best (most complete and informative) thing I've ever read, watched, or listened to about Manson was the 10+ episode run of the podcast You Must Remember This.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My son and I saw 1917 yesterday. Highly recommend seeing it, especially on the big screen. Best depiction of "No Man's Land" by far (though props to the Hallmark version of All Quiet on the Western Front, which did very well for a small screen format, with no doubt a much smaller budget and access to modern special effects). The key device (not a plot spoiler) is that it is filmed as a single shot, following the action essentially live over the course of one ~24 hour period.

We discussed the film on the way home from the theater and neither of us felt it glorified war or preferred one set of warriors over any other. Indeed, we agreed that seemingly everyone was portrayed as a victim.

Bubba

Cyburbian
My son and I saw 1917 yesterday...The key device (not a plot spoiler) is that it is filmed as a single shot, following the action essentially live over the course of one ~24 hour period.
The playbook for the camerawork choreography was as long as the movie script itself, apparently.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm hoping to go see 1917 tonight or Thursday evening. I want to see it at the local theatre I can walk to but they're just playing it on the regular-sized big screen but the big theatre in The Town Next Door is showing it on their "Epic" screen that is a much larger format with an awesome sound system. I think I'll have to bite the bullet, deal with traffic, and drive a few miles to the other theatre.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I rented Joker during the long weekend. It is an unrelentingly dark, violent movie. While it tries to make a point about
how the mentally ill and down trodden are treated and abused, it gets lost in all the darkness of the movie. If you haven't seen it already, I would avoid it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I rented Joker during the long weekend. It is an unrelentingly dark, violent movie. While it tries to make a point about
how the mentally ill and down trodden are treated and abused, it gets lost in all the darkness of the movie. If you haven't seen it already, I would avoid it.
I haven't watched any Batman movies in quite a while. Sounds like there's no reason yet to start again.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
They said that the movie kept referencing the 70's movie Taxi Driver. Having been way too young for that movie, I've never seen it. There is a point to be made about how, as a society, we treat, or don't treat the mentally ill. Further, there is a way show how the downtrodden suffer. However, making a dark violent movie is not the way to do it, especially this one. The actor does a fantastic job with the role. it just gets lost in all the darkness.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I did in fact make it out to see 1917 last night.

Wow! I think the adrenaline is still rushing through me.

This is not a really a spoiler, but...
There was a particular scene where one of the main characters is navigating through a bombed out French village in the pre-dawn morning hours and the one long continuous shot of the movie combined with the use of illumination flares that really stood out to me. We didn't use illumination flares often (in some training in boot camp and then again during a couple nighttime incidents in Kosovo) but the way they make shadows shift and move is very discomforting and disconcerting and the film captured that perfectly. I can only imagine how much worse that would have been in LCpl Scofield's situation.
If the movie wins nothing else at the Oscars, I hope it wins for best Cinematography.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
So, during my down time, I rented two movies that ended up being pretty good. Ford vs Ferrari is a great guy movie. It's well worth the rental. The Last Black Man in San Fransisco is also pretty good. It gives a different perspective on San Fransisco. Having gone to a conference there, it showed how the poorer, underclass survive there.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
Watched 'Knives Out' over the weekend. If you want to see Daniel Craig with a bad southern accent, go for it.

It's a decent murder mystery, with a very certain twist.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Watched 'Knives Out' over the weekend. If you want to see Daniel Craig with a bad southern accent, go for it.

It's a decent murder mystery, with a very certain twist.
Apparently the accent got quite a bit of fanfare. They are planning for a sequel and I guess the tentative plan is have him with another accent. No reason for it, no explanation why it will be different, it just will be. I wanted to go see it in the cheap theater a few weeks ago but it was packed out and we decided not to go.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I have watched different types of movies during the Covid-19 isolation. Pluto TV has several channels of movies going all the time.

Of course, I had to watch some plague movies. I watched both the 1973 and 2010 versions of the Crazies, about a US Govt bioweapon that crashes by a small US town and gets into the water supply. The 2010 one was particularly gruesome. I also went back and watched The Omega Man. I love that version much more than Will Smith's 2008 version aka I am Legend. The Luudite cult like zombies aka "The Family" really make the movie.

Also watched Zodiac with Roberty Downey Jr. and Jake Gyllenhaal about the murders in the late 60's/early 70's. It was more about the JG characters descent into obsession trying to solve the case. I liked it, but it dragged on too long.

Last night I watched Jacob's Ladder. Holy Crap that is one nightmarish movie. You feel shaken after that one. About a Vietnam vet having visions. Real disturbing visions.

Pluto has a James Bond channel that shows the Bond movies all the time. I watched Live and Let Die

Finally, I watch Lone Wolf McQuade with Chuck Norris because I needed something fun and I had not seen it in many years. It did not disappoint. Ridiculous and over the top, but fun to watch.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I watched the "Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" movie about Mr. Rogers. First of all, Tom Hanks killed it. Second, the movie was not what I expected it to be, but it was still terrific.

Also watched the new Jumanji movie the other night with Mini-skis. I will be blunt... Karen Gillan was the only reason I watched the movie.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
My son and I saw 1917 yesterday. Highly recommend seeing it, especially on the big screen. Best depiction of "No Man's Land" by far (though props to the Hallmark version of All Quiet on the Western Front, which did very well for a small screen format, with no doubt a much smaller budget and access to modern special effects). The key device (not a plot spoiler) is that it is filmed as a single shot, following the action essentially live over the course of one ~24 hour period.

We discussed the film on the way home from the theater and neither of us felt it glorified war or preferred one set of warriors over any other. Indeed, we agreed that seemingly everyone was portrayed as a victim.
I just rented it and I did like it, but I can see it would be better on the big screen. I did not like it as much as Dunkirk, but it was very good.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
For kicks I watched The Stepfather and Stepfather II on Pluto the last 2 nights. I had not seen them in many years. They did not disappoint. Terry O'Quinn's performance was incredible, especially in the first one. My favorite part is near the end of the first one when his wife, played by former Charlie's Angel Shelly Hack, catches him using another name on a phone call and he has to pause and he asks himself "Who Am I here? Oh yeah, Jerry Blake" then proceeds to assault her. The movies are almost black comedies really. His character is obsessed with being in a family and being a family man, then has bursts of brutal violence.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Terry O'Quinn is a surprisingly underrated/underused character actor.

His work on Lost was profound.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Today's COVID-19 Movie Review: Amityville II: The Possession

This movie was not very good. I had not seen it before, and like horror movies, and it was on Pluto so I said what the heck. I did not realize that it was actually a prequel to the first movie and was more based on the real events there. It was basically a bad Exorcist ripoff combined with mass murder. The murder of the family is about halfway through the movie, the rest is about the murder (the son) being possessed by an unknown demon who the family priest attempts to exorcise from the kid, although he does not have permission from the Bishop. The priest gets a cop to help him release the kid so he can exorcise the demon in the church. The kid/demon knocks out the priest just outside the church and runs back to the house. The priest follows him there, and in the "big ending" exorcises the demon, but it comes into him (a bad Exorcist Ripoff) and then the movie just ends lol.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Last Night's COVID-19 Movie: Jennifer 8

About a cop from Los Angeles, played by Andy Garcia who moves to a town in Northern California after being burned out in LA. His friend, played by Lance Henriksen (Chains from Stone Cold) helped bring him up to the small town. They find some body parts in a landfill and Garcia believes its related to an earlier unsolved murder in the area. He figures out the victim was blind. He visits a home for the blind the victim lived at and meets Uma Thurman (She does a really good job playing a blind person. Keeping her eyes fixed like that was no small feat). Of course, he falls for her although he is older. I found this movie confusing at times and the plot convoluted to say the least. It turns out the killer is another cop on the small town force who has this thing for blind people. Later in the movie the Henriksen character is killed, and in comes John Malkovich playing an FBI agent trying to nail Garcia for it. Its a pretty small roll. I would give this movie a 5 out of 10. Good performances from some individuals, but a weird plot. Garcia's character is somewhat over the top and the love story was predictable.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I watched Hollow Man over the weekend. It came out in 2000 with Kevin Bacon in the lead role. Its basically the invisible man. Bacon and his team are working on making a phase shift that makes people invisible for the US Military. After successfully doing it with a Gorilla and bringing it back again, Bacon decides to have it tested on himself. But they find that they can't get him back out of it again. He goes more and more crazy; kills a lab dog, rapes his neighbor, kills the DoD project leader, and then in the last part his whole team except Elizabeth Shue and Josh Brolin. I saw this movie when it came out and had largely forgotten it. Like many action movies of that era it is very violent and sexual. Lots of Elizabeth Shue in panties, lots of bloody killing. Overall it was just OK. 5 out of 10.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Really liking your reviews of B and C grade movies, Hawkeye66.

All these digi-net available with an antenna really open access to alot of interesting back catalogs. We have antenna for over-the-air TV reception too and it's really nice.

Keep the reviews coming.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Really liking your reviews of B and C grade movies, Hawkeye66.

All these digi-net available with an antenna really open access to alot of interesting back catalogs. We have antenna for over-the-air TV reception too and it's really nice.

Keep the reviews coming.
I use Pluto TV for a lot of them, but Tubi, Popcorn Flix, the Roku Channel and Crackle all have them too. Many were theatre movies in their day.

Last edited:

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Today's COVID-19 Review: Death Wish (The Bruce Willis Version)

This is a remake of the Charles Bronson "classic". In the Bronson version Paul Kersey was an architect, in this version he is a surgeon. Similar storyline. Set against the background of gun violence in Chicago, Kersey's wife is shot dead and his daughter left in a coma in a home invasion gone wrong. Kersey starts to feel helpless and learns how to use a gun. He then starts going on the streets and shooting various criminals and gains fame as a vigalante called the Grim Reaper.. Eventually he tracks down the group that killed his wife and kills nearly all of them except one. He has a gunfight in a club with that one, then in the climactic scene the bad guy comes after Kersey and his now healed daughter at their house. Lots of blood and gun violence. Elizabeth Shue is also in this one playing Kersey's wife. Overall not a bad remake. Had some good action sequences. Bronson's version spawned four sequels, which are always good for some campy entertainment. I give this version 6 out of 10.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Over the weekend I watched 2 movies;

Rambo - Last Blood was on Amazon. I can truly say this movie was terrible. Nothing really redeeming about this movie at all. Totally harsh and gratuitous violence. I have no problem with violence in movies. Its all about how its used. The Expanse has a lot of violence, but its such a good story and it weaves into the essence of the show. In this case, it was just an excuse to show bloody killings of different kinds. The sad part is that so much more could have been done with the old Rambo, but no. Basically its a revenge story; Niece gets kidnapped by Mexican crime bosses, eventually they fill her full of Heroin and she OD's and dies. Rambo then kills one of the main ones...beheads him....and that brings the rest to follow him back to the USA (They never explain how they know where he will be) and Rambo sets up his farm full of booby traps and it ends after one long brutal fight scene...the End. I give this movie a 2 out of 10.

Solomon Kane was an interesting movie about a man who swears off killing after he escapes an encounter with a demon. Set in the 15th Century or so in Europe. He gets kicked out by Catholic Monks and finds himself with some Puritan Pilgrams. They encounter an evil sorcerer and his possessed warriors taking over the Land who kills most of the family he was traveling with. Kane eventually finds out the sorcerer is his brother whom he thought dead from a fall when they were younger. He frees the daughter of the family and has to kill his evil brother. Not a bad movie per se, but nothing too exciting. I give it 5 out of 10 stars.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I watched the 70's version of Death on the Nile. A very star studded cast. David Niven, Peter Ustinov, Bette Davis, Mia Farrow and George Kennedy among others. A very traditional whodunit. I guess there is a remake scheduled for this Fall with Kenneth Branagh. Anyway, the performances were pretty good. The movie holds up well. Ustinov played the Poirot role well. An heiress is killed on a Nile voyage and all the passengers have motive to kill her. Then a few others are killed. Poirot figures it out and has the big climactic scene where he calls them all together and lays out the crime(s). I almost expected the villain to say "If it wasn't for you meddling kids and that dog!" Overall, I enjoyed it. 7 out of 10.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I had a free Redbox streaming movie courtesy of US Cellular, so I watched Ford vs Ferrari. Really enjoyed the film and it certainly had the period look of the 60's down pat. It took some liberties as all movies do with aspects of the story. Leo Beebe was probably not the villain they cast him as in the movie. They portrayed Henry Ford II as kind of an aloof dope and made it look like Beebe and Lee Iacocca ran the company. Maybe they did, who knows? The Iacooca character was shown as more sympathetic to Shelby and Miles. The movie is mostly about the relationship between Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles for the most part. Miles, played by Christian Bale was the main guy in the movie really. The racing scenes are fantastic to say the least. No CGI by the way. They used real cars. The only slight flaw I thought was that they sort of brushed over Miles death near the end of the movie. Not a big flaw really because it was mostly about the story to unseat Ferarri from winning the LeMans race. One thing that kept coming into my mind as I watched was how messed up our country is now compared to then. Overall I give it a 9 out of 10.

Bubba

Cyburbian
I had a free Redbox streaming movie courtesy of US Cellular, so I watched Ford vs Ferrari. Really enjoyed the film and it certainly had the period look of the 60's down pat. It took some liberties as all movies do with aspects of the story. Leo Beebe was probably not the villain they cast him as in the movie. They portrayed Henry Ford II as kind of an aloof dope and made it look like Beebe and Lee Iacocca ran the company. Maybe they did, who knows? The Iacooca character was shown as more sympathetic to Shelby and Miles. The movie is mostly about the relationship between Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles for the most part. Miles, played by Christian Bale was the main guy in the movie really. The racing scenes are fantastic to say the least. No CGI by the way. They used real cars. The only slight flaw I thought was that they sort of brushed over Miles death near the end of the movie. Not a big flaw really because it was mostly about the story to unseat Ferarri from winning the LeMans race. One thing that kept coming into my mind as I watched was how messed up our country is now compared to then. Overall I give it a 9 out of 10.
That's a great flick. And, your'e correct, Beebe was a lot more supportive of Shelby than his portrayal in the movie. The grandfather of a colleague of mine worked for Shelby as one of his engine builders - he (my colleague) has some faux indignation over the absence of his grandfather as a major character in the movie. :D

AG74683

Cyburbian
I watched The Kitchen on Saturday. It was good, but nothing outstanding. The story was sort of muddy with some characters appearing with no real backstory. I enjoyed it though. Worth watching if you have an hour and 45 minutes to kill and want Melissa McCarthy as a badass Irish mafia boss from Hells Kitchen.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Last Night's COVID Theatre: Haywire with Channing Tatum, Bill Paxton, Michael Douglas, Ewen McGregor and MMA fighter Gina Carano in the main role. It was sort a Bourne Identity with a lead female role. Not bad though. I was pleasantly surprised. She plays a private contractor working on black ops missions for a company headed by McGregor. He sets her up to be killed by Michael Fassbender in Ireland after a rescue mission in Barcelona, but she gets the drop on him and kills him instead. She is then hunted, but gets back to the States eventually in order for her revenge. Formulaic movie, but some real good action sequences. She was not a great actor, but was good in the role. She did her own stunts, etc. I give this one 7 out of 10. Entertaining.

AG74683

Cyburbian
We watched It 2 last night. What an incredible disappointment. Way too long and the ending was absolutely a joke.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
We watched It 2 last night. What an incredible disappointment. Way too long and the ending was absolutely a joke.
How would you compare it to the 90's one? That one integrated the two parts more. Did you come away feeling that separating it was a mistake?

AG74683

Cyburbian
How would you compare it to the 90's one? That one integrated the two parts more. Did you come away feeling that separating it was a mistake?
I actually preferred the two separately, I think it worked better that way. It was really interesting because much like the original, all the characters forgot the past as they got older outside of Derry. Because the 1st movie came out a while ago, I forgot too and slowly remembered the history of the first as things went on.

But the story in the 2nd was just convoluted and generally lazy. The script was pretty horrible too. There were a lot of scenes where it was like they were kids being forced to act like adults. Lots of ill timed cursing for no real effect. The adult characters matched the younger ones quite well (with the exception of Ben, but there's a story to that). They had IMO the best character actor in the business right now (James McAvoy) and absolutely squandered his talent. He was good, but capable of so much more if he's given the right script. Bill Hader was very good and really kept the development that Finn Wolfhard put into Richie in the 1st. The ending was literally one of the WORST endings I've ever seen to a movie. Frankly, I can't remember how the 90's one went, especially the adult aged parts, but I do remember it having a stronger ending. The end of the movie frankly ruined both for me. It was so extraordinarily dumb.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I watched two classic sci-fi movies over the weekend; First was Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I had not seen it in many years. I saw it when it opened when I was 11 years old. This movies still holds up really well. Dreyfus gives a really good performance of a guy into maniac obsession. The part there he motions the "car" to go around him while he is waiting at the train stop but it goes straight up instead is brilliant. My kids had never seen it and I was interested to hear their Gen Z take. They all really liked it and although you could see the 70's in it a lot, it did not make the movie seem dated. One thing I had forgotten was all the product placement, specifically on all the trucks the government guys were using including Piggly Wiggly and Baskin Robbins. Also showed a 70's era McDonalds.

The 2nd movie was 2010 - The Year we Make Contact. I had not seen this movie in many years as well. I read the book in high school before the movie came out and then saw the movie in the theatres. One impression I really came away with is that Kubrick was a brilliant film maker. This movie looked very 80's to me and more dated than 2001 A Space Odyssey, which was made 15 years before this. I forgot that Helen Mirren plays the captain of the Soviet ship. The most interesting part was how wrong they got the technology. They even had some silly looking futuristic cars. Its not a bad movie by any stretch. It just lacks the sense of awe of the original. Arthur C. Clarke wrote two others books in the series. If they ever do 2061, I hope someone like Christopher Nolan directs.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Watched Venom Friday night. While reviewers largely panned the movie, I enjoyed it. It was far from the best Marvel movie out there (frankly one of the worst IMO) but it was a fun movie. Story was kind of a mess, but the action was fun and the interaction between Venom and Eddie Brock was enjoyable.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Did anyone see Raiders of the Lost Ark on CBS Sunday Night Movies. This marks the return of that program after a 15 year absence and harks back to the days before Netflix, DVDs and even VCRs as millions of American's could tune in and see great made for TV movies and television premiers of theatrical releases as the weekend came to an end.

It certainly was strange seeing that cool retrographic that recalls the shows heyday of the 1970s and 1980s, though it wasn't always on a Sunday Night. I fondly recall seeing many great shows during this era.

As far as the movie, I think they kept it intact, with a minimal of editing, except the controversial cut of the submarine scene which was cut anyway from the DVD release.

CBSSundayMovieLogo.png

This will be a weekly even for the forseeable future as CBS and other networks are relying on older shows due to a dearth of new content because of the Coronavirus. I think Forest Gump will be broadcast next week.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
The 2nd movie was 2010 - The Year we Make Contact. I had not seen this movie in many years as well. I read the book in high school before the movie came out and then saw the movie in the theatres. One impression I really came away with is that Kubrick was a brilliant film maker. This movie looked very 80's to me and more dated than 2001 A Space Odyssey, which was made 15 years before this. I forgot that Helen Mirren plays the captain of the Soviet ship. The most interesting part was how wrong they got the technology. They even had some silly looking futuristic cars. Its not a bad movie by any stretch. It just lacks the sense of awe of the original. Arthur C. Clarke wrote two others books in the series. If they ever do 2061, I hope someone like Christopher Nolan directs.
I saw both movies too. You are right. Even though it was made 15 years later, 2010 does not hold up nearly as well as the original, falling for a "Hollywood" style ending while the original was so much more ambiguous. I think it fell for a lot of the entrapments of typical '80s films...style over substance and the need for an over explanatory ending. Had it been a stand alone movie, it would probably been much more favorably reviewed but it pales in comparison to the 1968 original. Still, it did have some interesting ideas.

I was hoping they would have re-released the film (or at least broadcast it on TV) when the date was equalized in 2010, if only for the novelty of showing everyone how different things were as portrayed in that film versus what happened in reality. Typical of near futuristic films, things never turn out to be nearly as advanced - both in terms of technology and humanity - than as they are originally envisioned. But if they didn't even bother to re-release 2001 when that date was equalized, they certainly weren't going to bother with this.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Watched the newest Star Wars movie over the weekend (The Rise of Skywalker). Not good, but definitely not the worst movie I've ever seen. I went in expecting it to be complete garbage, so I suppose that tempered my final opinion of it. The story was an absolute mess, but the action sequences were fun. It was better than the 2nd movie in this trilogy but not nearly as good as the first. The 2nd one was easily the worst movie in the whole series.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I watched two Tom Cruise movies over the weekend;

The first was his version of The Mummy. This movie was weird and didn't make a lot of sense. Throw in Russell Crowe as Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde? Sure, why not? I was wondering if that was planned to be a spin off movie at some point. Universal was going to kill their planned Monster franchise after this one, but then Invisible Man was a hit, so who knows now. Overall it had some good action and effects, but they would have been better off copying the original story. Bubba-Ho-Tep was a more fun movie than this one. Cruise usually makes entertaining movies if nothing else, not so much this time. It was about a princess who went rogue murdering people and getting in with Set, the Egyptian God of Death and then her attempts incarnate Set through the Tom Cruise character. This movie sets up for a sequel. but I can't imagine there will be one. 3 out of 10 stars.

The second was American Made in which Cruise plays pilot Barry Seal. IRL Seal was a pilot for the Colombian Drug Cartels. In the movie they make him a CIA recruit who gets into cocaine trafficking big time. The style reminded me of Goodfellas. They played fast and loose with the real story as Hollywood will often do. The only part we know for sure is Seal doing drug smuggling and the locations were the real ones, but that is about it. The CIA part is pure speculation. Its about the whole operation getting so big it gets out of control and he is caught and has to set up the drug cartel, which of course leads to his own downfall. It was an unusual movie for Cruise, its probably why he did it. 5 out of 10 stars.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
Last night's COVID Theatre; The International with Clive Owen. Was a lot better than I was expecting frankly. Owen plays an investigator going after a European Bank who is into funding arms sales, revolutions, all kinds of bad stuff. Naomi Watts plays the Assistant NY DA who he works with. They chase around the case to Germany, Italy, and Turkey then back to New York. There is a particularly good action sequence set in the Guggenheim Museum in New York. A lot better than Owen's more recent work. 7 our of 10 stars.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Bad Education (a made-for-HBO film, so limited availability for now on their networks). The synopsis from the HBO website:

Inspired by true events, Bad Education stars Academy Award nominee Hugh Jackman and Academy Award winner Allison Janney. The story follows Frank Tassone (Jackman) and Pam Gluckin (Janney) who reign over a popular Long Island school district on the verge of the nation’s top spot, spurring record college admissions and soaring property values. But when an embezzlement scheme surfaces that threatens to destroy all they’ve built, Frank is forced to maintain order and secrecy — by whatever means necessary.
Intriguing story, very well acted. Probably about 10 minutes longer than needed, but that's a minor complaint. Using the Official Hawkeye66 Movie Rating Systemtm, I give it 8.5 out of 10 stars.