• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Movie Review Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had the day off on Friday and wanted to go to the movies. There wasn't much out that I really wanted to see so I blindly went into Mortal Engines. All I knew is that it was produced or directed or something by Peter Jackson and there were big cities on wheels.

The movie was incredibly stupid but still a lot of fun - it was basically non-stop action and everything was really nice to look at so it kept me interested on a quiet Friday afternoon. And it was something I'm glad I saw on the big screen instead of on my TV at home. It reminded me of the movie Maze Runner that my wife and I watched a couple years ago because there was nothing else on.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I had the day off on Friday and wanted to go to the movies. There wasn't much out that I really wanted to see so I blindly went into Mortal Engines. All I knew is that it was produced or directed or something by Peter Jackson and there were big cities on wheels.

The movie was incredibly stupid but still a lot of fun - it was basically non-stop action and everything was really nice to look at so it kept me interested on a quiet Friday afternoon. And it was something I'm glad I saw on the big screen instead of on my TV at home. It reminded me of the movie Maze Runner that my wife and I watched a couple years ago because there was nothing else on.
Thanks for posting that. I've been kicking going to go see that it. It looks cool but has gotten bombed on the reviews.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Stayed up a smidge too late watching Hell or High Water last night.

Very good modern Western/crime story/slice of life movie.

DVD

Cyburbian
Daughter says Captain Marvel is awesome and Goose is the best character. I have no other reference to give you other than a 10 yo girl who went with her friends family and didn't invite me.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Captain Marvel was good - it explains a few unanswered questions for me and ties together the inevitability of all the other characters in a future movie

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I didn't like Captain Marvel as much as I was hoping to, I think because I didn't know anything about her beforehand and knew very little about the whole war for the universe and species fighting each other plot, so it was a bit confusing. I was also really confused as to why she had basically the same name as Supergirl. o_O But all that was cleared up for me after the movie, so I think I'll enjoy it more whenever I see it with the kiddos.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I didn't like Captain Marvel as much as I was hoping to, I think because I didn't know anything about her beforehand and knew very little about the whole war for the universe and species fighting each other plot, so it was a bit confusing. I was also really confused as to why she had basically the same name as Supergirl. o_O But all that was cleared up for me after the movie, so I think I'll enjoy it more whenever I see it with the kiddos.
I was listening to a review of Captain Marvel from Glen Weldon on NPR. He specifically reviews comic book movies and comic books and pop culture stuff and is a big superhero fan. He liked the movie but he admitted that Captain Marvel has always had one of the dumber backstories.

That said, I'd like to see Captain Marvel. I also still want to see Infinity War and then End Game when that comes out in another few weeks.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm a Tarantino fanboy so I went and took myself to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night. I had heard mixed reviews which basically boiled down to it was a) spectacularly awesome or b) the most violet, horrible, misogynistic thing Tarantino has directed.

I'm in the first camp. It started off slow and built to a pretty good
alternative history of an
ending.
Save for the last bit of the movie, it really wasn't all that violent at all, and definitely not as much as his previous few movies.

It may be a bit a of recency bias but this might be my favorite Tarantino movie since Jackie Brown. I don't think writing actual stories is Tarantino's strong suit and I think that's partly why I always enjoy Jackie Brown so much - it has his directing style but it was written by Elmore Leonard who is 1000x better of a story teller. While Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is by no means a true story, it uses the Manson family murders as a framing device and it looks like Tarantino tried to incorporate a lot of the actual elements of Manson and his followers into this story so that didn't let him stray too far off into crazytown.

FWIW - the best (most complete and informative) thing I've ever read, watched, or listened to about Manson was the 10+ episode run of the podcast You Must Remember This.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
My son and I saw 1917 yesterday. Highly recommend seeing it, especially on the big screen. Best depiction of "No Man's Land" by far (though props to the Hallmark version of All Quiet on the Western Front, which did very well for a small screen format, with no doubt a much smaller budget and access to modern special effects). The key device (not a plot spoiler) is that it is filmed as a single shot, following the action essentially live over the course of one ~24 hour period.

We discussed the film on the way home from the theater and neither of us felt it glorified war or preferred one set of warriors over any other. Indeed, we agreed that seemingly everyone was portrayed as a victim.

Bubba

Cyburbian
My son and I saw 1917 yesterday...The key device (not a plot spoiler) is that it is filmed as a single shot, following the action essentially live over the course of one ~24 hour period.
The playbook for the camerawork choreography was as long as the movie script itself, apparently.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm hoping to go see 1917 tonight or Thursday evening. I want to see it at the local theatre I can walk to but they're just playing it on the regular-sized big screen but the big theatre in The Town Next Door is showing it on their "Epic" screen that is a much larger format with an awesome sound system. I think I'll have to bite the bullet, deal with traffic, and drive a few miles to the other theatre.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I rented Joker during the long weekend. It is an unrelentingly dark, violent movie. While it tries to make a point about
how the mentally ill and down trodden are treated and abused, it gets lost in all the darkness of the movie. If you haven't seen it already, I would avoid it.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I rented Joker during the long weekend. It is an unrelentingly dark, violent movie. While it tries to make a point about
how the mentally ill and down trodden are treated and abused, it gets lost in all the darkness of the movie. If you haven't seen it already, I would avoid it.
I haven't watched any Batman movies in quite a while. Sounds like there's no reason yet to start again.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
They said that the movie kept referencing the 70's movie Taxi Driver. Having been way too young for that movie, I've never seen it. There is a point to be made about how, as a society, we treat, or don't treat the mentally ill. Further, there is a way show how the downtrodden suffer. However, making a dark violent movie is not the way to do it, especially this one. The actor does a fantastic job with the role. it just gets lost in all the darkness.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I did in fact make it out to see 1917 last night.

Wow! I think the adrenaline is still rushing through me.

This is not a really a spoiler, but...
There was a particular scene where one of the main characters is navigating through a bombed out French village in the pre-dawn morning hours and the one long continuous shot of the movie combined with the use of illumination flares that really stood out to me. We didn't use illumination flares often (in some training in boot camp and then again during a couple nighttime incidents in Kosovo) but the way they make shadows shift and move is very discomforting and disconcerting and the film captured that perfectly. I can only imagine how much worse that would have been in LCpl Scofield's situation.
If the movie wins nothing else at the Oscars, I hope it wins for best Cinematography.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
So, during my down time, I rented two movies that ended up being pretty good. Ford vs Ferrari is a great guy movie. It's well worth the rental. The Last Black Man in San Fransisco is also pretty good. It gives a different perspective on San Fransisco. Having gone to a conference there, it showed how the poorer, underclass survive there.

Last edited:

Planit

Cyburbian
Watched 'Knives Out' over the weekend. If you want to see Daniel Craig with a bad southern accent, go for it.

It's a decent murder mystery, with a very certain twist.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Watched 'Knives Out' over the weekend. If you want to see Daniel Craig with a bad southern accent, go for it.

It's a decent murder mystery, with a very certain twist.
Apparently the accent got quite a bit of fanfare. They are planning for a sequel and I guess the tentative plan is have him with another accent. No reason for it, no explanation why it will be different, it just will be. I wanted to go see it in the cheap theater a few weeks ago but it was packed out and we decided not to go.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I have watched different types of movies during the Covid-19 isolation. Pluto TV has several channels of movies going all the time.

Of course, I had to watch some plague movies. I watched both the 1973 and 2010 versions of the Crazies, about a US Govt bioweapon that crashes by a small US town and gets into the water supply. The 2010 one was particularly gruesome. I also went back and watched The Omega Man. I love that version much more than Will Smith's 2008 version aka I am Legend. The Luudite cult like zombies aka "The Family" really make the movie.

Also watched Zodiac with Roberty Downey Jr. and Jake Gyllenhaal about the murders in the late 60's/early 70's. It was more about the JG characters descent into obsession trying to solve the case. I liked it, but it dragged on too long.

Last night I watched Jacob's Ladder. Holy Crap that is one nightmarish movie. You feel shaken after that one. About a Vietnam vet having visions. Real disturbing visions.

Pluto has a James Bond channel that shows the Bond movies all the time. I watched Live and Let Die

Finally, I watch Lone Wolf McQuade with Chuck Norris because I needed something fun and I had not seen it in many years. It did not disappoint. Ridiculous and over the top, but fun to watch.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I watched the "Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" movie about Mr. Rogers. First of all, Tom Hanks killed it. Second, the movie was not what I expected it to be, but it was still terrific.

Also watched the new Jumanji movie the other night with Mini-skis. I will be blunt... Karen Gillan was the only reason I watched the movie.