• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Movie Review Thread

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I had the day off on Friday and wanted to go to the movies. There wasn't much out that I really wanted to see so I blindly went into Mortal Engines. All I knew is that it was produced or directed or something by Peter Jackson and there were big cities on wheels.

The movie was incredibly stupid but still a lot of fun - it was basically non-stop action and everything was really nice to look at so it kept me interested on a quiet Friday afternoon. And it was something I'm glad I saw on the big screen instead of on my TV at home. It reminded me of the movie Maze Runner that my wife and I watched a couple years ago because there was nothing else on.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I had the day off on Friday and wanted to go to the movies. There wasn't much out that I really wanted to see so I blindly went into Mortal Engines. All I knew is that it was produced or directed or something by Peter Jackson and there were big cities on wheels.

The movie was incredibly stupid but still a lot of fun - it was basically non-stop action and everything was really nice to look at so it kept me interested on a quiet Friday afternoon. And it was something I'm glad I saw on the big screen instead of on my TV at home. It reminded me of the movie Maze Runner that my wife and I watched a couple years ago because there was nothing else on.
Thanks for posting that. I've been kicking going to go see that it. It looks cool but has gotten bombed on the reviews.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Stayed up a smidge too late watching Hell or High Water last night.

Very good modern Western/crime story/slice of life movie.

DVD

Cyburbian
Daughter says Captain Marvel is awesome and Goose is the best character. I have no other reference to give you other than a 10 yo girl who went with her friends family and didn't invite me.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Captain Marvel was good - it explains a few unanswered questions for me and ties together the inevitability of all the other characters in a future movie

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I didn't like Captain Marvel as much as I was hoping to, I think because I didn't know anything about her beforehand and knew very little about the whole war for the universe and species fighting each other plot, so it was a bit confusing. I was also really confused as to why she had basically the same name as Supergirl. o_O But all that was cleared up for me after the movie, so I think I'll enjoy it more whenever I see it with the kiddos.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I didn't like Captain Marvel as much as I was hoping to, I think because I didn't know anything about her beforehand and knew very little about the whole war for the universe and species fighting each other plot, so it was a bit confusing. I was also really confused as to why she had basically the same name as Supergirl. o_O But all that was cleared up for me after the movie, so I think I'll enjoy it more whenever I see it with the kiddos.
I was listening to a review of Captain Marvel from Glen Weldon on NPR. He specifically reviews comic book movies and comic books and pop culture stuff and is a big superhero fan. He liked the movie but he admitted that Captain Marvel has always had one of the dumber backstories.

That said, I'd like to see Captain Marvel. I also still want to see Infinity War and then End Game when that comes out in another few weeks.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I'm a Tarantino fanboy so I went and took myself to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood last night. I had heard mixed reviews which basically boiled down to it was a) spectacularly awesome or b) the most violet, horrible, misogynistic thing Tarantino has directed.

I'm in the first camp. It started off slow and built to a pretty good
alternative history of an
ending.
Save for the last bit of the movie, it really wasn't all that violent at all, and definitely not as much as his previous few movies.

It may be a bit a of recency bias but this might be my favorite Tarantino movie since Jackie Brown. I don't think writing actual stories is Tarantino's strong suit and I think that's partly why I always enjoy Jackie Brown so much - it has his directing style but it was written by Elmore Leonard who is 1000x better of a story teller. While Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is by no means a true story, it uses the Manson family murders as a framing device and it looks like Tarantino tried to incorporate a lot of the actual elements of Manson and his followers into this story so that didn't let him stray too far off into crazytown.

FWIW - the best (most complete and informative) thing I've ever read, watched, or listened to about Manson was the 10+ episode run of the podcast You Must Remember This.

Top Bottom