• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

TV / movies 📺 Movie(s) you can watch over and over

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I went to the movies a lot while a teenager. Now with the dad bod (thanks, Covid) and kids in their teens, not so much. Perhaps get to the theater once or twice a year. Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney make up the bulk of any movie I now watch. What movie(s) can you watch over and over and not lose interest? I've always been down for a good historical movie such as A Bridge Too Far, Band of Brothers, Glory, and the like. Honorable mention would also be a comedy such as Dumb and Dumber.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Anchorman

Captain America: The First Avenger

Ghostbusters

Avengers: Infinity War

Thor: Ragnarok

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Last edited:

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
For me, comedies seem to hold up better than dramas or action movies.

Step Brothers is one that I'll watch any time I see it on TV, no matter where in the movie I pick up in it.

Airplane! is another that I've seen countless times and it never gets stale.

Salmissra

Cyburbian
The Mummy/The Mummy Returns with Brendan and Rachel
Avengers: IW and EG
Pitch Perfect (just the first one - I laugh a lot through it)
Thor: first and 3rd
The Equalizer movies
The A-Team
Bourne films
Star Trek films
Best in Show/A Mighty Wind
Cat Ballou/Wizard of Oz

I'm sure there's more I can't remember right now.

I agree that comedies hold up - I can rewatch stand-up shows, as well.

Planit

Cyburbian
Blazing Saddles
Monty Python & The Holy Grail
Young Frankenstein
Casa Blanca
Bull Durham
& several others

Reactions: JNA

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
The Mummy/The Mummy Returns with Brendan and Rachel
Avengers: IW and EG
Pitch Perfect (just the first one - I laugh a lot through it)
Thor: first and 3rd
The Equalizer movies
The A-Team
Bourne films
Star Trek films
Best in Show/A Mighty Wind
Cat Ballou/Wizard of Oz

I'm sure there's more I can't remember right now.

I agree that comedies hold up - I can rewatch stand-up shows, as well.

Good call on Best in Show and A Mighty Wind. Those are others I can watch over and over (Drop Dead Gorgeous isn't a Christopher Guest film but it's in a similar vein and another I will happily watch whenever it's on).

The Bourne films, or at least the Matt Damon ones, are a great choice too. I think one of the things that helps an action film hold up is if it has fewer special effects (and not much use of CGI). So many action films of the '80s and '90s seemed to go all in with special effects that just look absolutely horrible these days and just about ruin the films for me. While the first Bourne film has some questionable computer spying/hacking going on with Julia Stiles character that seems a little cheesy now, the film is still excellent. (Speaking of Julia Stiles, 10 Things I hate About You is another I can watch over and over).

Back to '80s and '90s action movies with bad special effects, there are a few that hold up very well and I'll keep watching: Robocop, Total Recall, and Starship Troopers. Besides cheesy special effects, what do all these movies have in common: all directed by Paul Verhoeven. I think the special effects were cheesy even at the time that these movies were released so maybe that gives them a bit of an air of satire.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
RoboCop (1987)

Die Hard

Die Hard with a Vengeance

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Roadhouse (1989) with Patrick Swayze. A guilty pleasure to be sure but I love all the bar fight scenes early in the film.

Happy Gilmore (1996) - Your enjoyment of this film will depend on your tolerance of Adam Sandler, but it's Ben Stiller that steals the show for me. If you do watch it, be sure and see the deleted scenes that include a phone sex call center scam going on at the nursing home.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989). It has held up quite well after more than 30 years. I now even like it a little more than the original.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988). While Caine and Martin were truly great in this film, I've really learned to appreciate Glenne Headly in later viewings.

Breakdown (1997). One of Kurt Russell's best and another menacing performance by character actor J. T. Walsh

The Truman Show (1997). I think this is Jim Carey's best film. My kids saw it when they were very young (8 and 10) and when my now 21 year old daughter saw it again recently she picked up so much more.

Scream and Scream II (1996 and 1997). Likeable characters and good doses of humor mixed in with violence and horror. I think I like the sequel a little better.

Last edited:

Salmissra

Cyburbian
I should add to my list:

Gladiator
Indiana Jones
James Bond - the Sean Connery and Daniel Craig years

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I’m a romantic at heart, I guess

500 Days of Summer
When Harry Met Sally
Serendipity
It Could Happen To You
You’ve Got Mail
Sleepless in Seattle

kms

Cyburbian
The Natural
Something to Talk About
The Bishop's Wife
It Happened on 5th Avenue
You Can't Take it With You

I like old movies.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Rocky Series
Gladiator
Jason Born Series
Braveheart
Fight Club
6 Underground
James Bond Films
The Godfather
Expendables

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Godfather series
Devil Wears Prada (it's on constantly and I will watch it)
Blues Brothers
most Quentin Tarantino films
The Bourne series
Bond movies
Star Wars trilogy and the newer ones (not the prequels)
any Marvel movie

TOFB

Cyburbian
When they start the Superman III heist/hack.
penny.JPG

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
The Great Escape
Bullitt
A Bridge To Far
Jaws
Dr Strangelove
Failsafe
Mr. Roberts

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
When they start the Superman III heist/hack.
Actually I was OK with that part. It was the ending that was a kind of a letdown. It was just hard to fathom Peter (Ron Livingston) preferring to shovel debris in the hot 90F sun all day rather than sitting in a cool office. Sure he may have had an intolerable boss, but it seemed that there were several scenes early in the film where he was on a pretty long leash in the office (hanging out around the copier with his coworkers, taking a long early coffee break at a cafe next door, etc). I just found the whole thing kind of preposterous. Plus he turned down his friends' request for to go out for lunch. That didn't make any sense, since they probably hadn't seen them since the fire. Peter's behavior in that whole scene just kind of bothered me.

I remember reading an article somewhere , when the whole Office Space phenomenon was really taking off, that the writers admitted during an interview that the ending was indeed terrible.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Actually I was OK with that part. It was the ending that was a kind of a letdown. It was just hard to fathom Peter (Ron Livingston) preferring to shovel debris in the hot 90F sun all day rather than sitting in a cool office. Sure he may have had an intolerable boss, but it seemed that there were several scenes early in the film where he was on a pretty long leash in the office (hanging out around the copier with his coworkers, taking a long early coffee break at a cafe next door, etc). I just found the whole thing kind of preposterous. Plus he turned down his friends' request for to go out for lunch. That didn't make any sense, since they probably hadn't seen them since the fire. Peter's behavior in that whole scene just kind of bothered me.

I remember reading an article somewhere , when the whole Office Space phenomenon was really taking off, that the writers admitted during an interview that the ending was indeed terrible.
I suppose given Peter's loathing of Lumburgh and his being branded as "upper management potential" he could have become Lumbergh II at the rival company, Penetrobe?

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Overboard (1987) is one I cannot pass when flipping channels. Even if it's near the end, I'll watch the last 30 minutes and then, hopefully, it will come on again directly after so I can watch the first part.

kms

Cyburbian
I used to love Overboard. I thought it was sweet and cute. Then I thought about the plot and what that would mean if the whole thing really happened. I won't watch it now.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to take things literally.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I used to love Overboard. I thought it was sweet and cute. Then I thought about the plot and what that would mean if the whole thing really happened. I won't watch it now.

Sometimes it doesn't pay to take things literally.

Yeah, it it works out but the whole kidnapping part is a bit off-putting. But to be fair, as adorable as Goldie was in that movie I might have resorted to the same tactic given the situation. ;)

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Overboard (1987) is one I cannot pass when flipping channels. Even if it's near the end, I'll watch the last 30 minutes and then, hopefully, it will come on again directly after so I can watch the first part.
Yeah, only in the 1980s could you have a movie about kidnapping be so funny. I loved Hawn's early scenes in the psyche ward where she doesn't know who she is but still acts the same way as before: Berating and insulting staff and patients, etc.

The did have it on You Tube's "Free With Ads" a while back. The ad frequency wasn't too bad and it was totally uncut unlike broadcasts on some stations. But I think it's now not available, at least for free.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Heartbreakers (2001) with Sigourney Weaver, Jennifer Love-Hewitt as a mother and daughter con team. Also startting Ray Liotta, Gene Hackman, and Jason Lee.

Pretty raunchy for a PG-13 movie but the cast seems to be having fun.

Heartbreakers 1.jpg

Heartbreakers 2.jpg