• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Moving on, and staying behind

Dragon

Cyburbian
To my amazement, yesterday jestes broke the news to me that he would be moving on to bigger and better things. 8-! This has come as a big shock to me. jestes has “been there” for my development as a planner in many ways. First he was an adjunct professor at my University. Then he offered me an internship, and became my boss. Last the slacking-boss is my friend. :-#

Friends moving on to other things I can handle. It has happened before, and will again. Thus is the nature of time, personal environment, and professionalism. Not like I won’t see him again, he will be working 2 blocks from here. :p

My questions are in the area of work. He was adamant that the Board of Supervisors keep me on the planning staff, and not disband the Planning Dept. He also said that while I was intelligent, capable, blah, blah (softening the blow), that I didn’t have the experience to head the dept. by myself (understandable considering I have 6 months full time exp., and 7 months intern exp.).

So my thoughts with my boss moving on:

1. Could (and possibly will) have a new Dept. Head coming in, and we have all heard horror stories about new management and old staff. :-\

2. One Supervisor said that he has no immediate plans of replacing jestes, giving me a chance to “see how you do.” A trial by fire for me (here I should note, in my opinion about myself, I have a tendency “to rise to the occasion”, and I like a good challenge, but still.....). :-c

3. The county contracts out with jestes at his new private firm, and I am either kept on doing small time tasks, or let go to clear up budget space. :-s

Throbbing Brain, what are your thoughts? Should I pack my bags and head for the Sunshine State, or any other place looking for someone with minimal exp.? Or should I ride the storm out, and see where it lands me?

Everyone wish jestes good luck, and prosperity in his new job. He will definitely be tuning in. :p

JNL

Cyburbian
Dragon said:
Should I pack my bags and head for the Sunshine State, or any other place looking for someone with minimal exp.? Or should I ride the storm out, and see where it lands me?
I think packing your bags may be a bit hasty. Depends how much you enjoy your job and if you think it's a good place to be for a while longer. If you do get a trial by fire, I'm sure there will be people around to help you out. It might really speed up your development. And if you do stay for a bit, what's the worst that could happen? If it doesn't work out you could end up looking for another job, just later rather than sooner, and you will probably learn a few things in the meantime. Good luck :)

And all the best to you in your new role jestes! :b:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
1. Through him a great going away party.
2. Welcome the your new Boss with open arms, and help him / her get adjusted and a feel for the department.
3. Work hard, act confident, do a good job.
4. As a back up plan, update your resume, with a killer recommendation letter.
5. Drink a beer (NOT at work though)

You can only play the cards that you are dealt, and you need to play the best hand that you can. I would say roll with the punches, but if they start hitting, be ready to make your move.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I would make the best of the situation. If they hire someone new do as michaelskis recommends...welcome that person and make sure that you help them as much as possible. When I was a wee intern I had to train my supervisor's replacement. I wasn't quite ready for a full-time job so I declined to apply. When he started I helped him with everying that I knew about the position (which I held for 2 months while they searched for the replacement). I made sure that he felt comfortable and knew the ins and outs of the job. Now he is a good friend and he is always my number one reference when I apply for new positions. As far as I know his discussions with prospective employers have helped me land 2 jobs.

Maybe you situation will work out for the better. You say that jestes may do some contracted work with you? If they go that route make sure that you learn all you can from him. At some point they may just decide to hire you as the replacement. If not, it seems like you have the kind of professional relationship that would warrant using him as a reference.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Usually new managment not jiving with existing staff comes in to play more when staff has been around a looooong time, or when the staff person was doing the director's interim job or applied for the job themselves. I have rarely seen the new boss be a butthead when those circumstances don't apply. As you only have a year or so of experience, I highly doubt that some new boss will be evil to you just because you work there. It's always hard to replace a boss that you really like though. :(

That being said... congratulations jestes! Good luck in the new job!

otterpop

Cyburbian
My advice would be don't be premature in leaving. When I was a fledging planner and intern, a man I worked with gave me some advice - when you get your first planning job, stay at least two years. That way the next prospective emplyoer sees you as a person who is reliable and not one to jump from job to job. Of course I didn't exactly follow his advice to the letter. I left after 19 months, but I had to get out of that place!

I was also in a postion where my supervisor left and I was too green to really replace her. I stood in for her until they found someone with more experience. That was valuable experience. I improved a lot during that trial by fire. I wasn't ready for her job then, but when the fellow they hired moved to long range planning after six months, I was ready. The department decided, though, to divide the duties between two existing planners (another fellow and me), rather than give it to one and not the other. They thought, I suppose, if they promoted him and not me, I would jump ship, and vice versa. The end result was I decided it was time for me to move on.

In your position, I think I would stay, and take advantage of the opportunity to learn more through a challenge. But I would keep my eyes and ears open, in case the rug was going to pulled out from under me. Update your resume. Look for job openings elsewhere, if only to get an idea of whether jobs are available where you want to live or what you want to do. When I was considering jumping ship, I sort of looked for a little while just out of curiosity, then started applying only where I really wanted to be. I got lucky. I found a job exactly where I wanted to live.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Dragon, I also think it's too early to make a decision to move on immediately. That next person may even be the equal of the jestes or at least he'll have different methods of operation that you'll need to experience. I also agree with the recommendation to be confident, work hard, and drink :b: .

And best of luck to you jestes.

jestes

Cyburbian
To my amazement, yesterday jestes broke the news to me that he would be moving on to bigger and better things. This has come as a big shock to me. jestes has “been there” for my development as a planner in many ways. First he was an adjunct professor at my University. Then he offered me an internship, and became my boss. Last the slacking-boss is my friend.
Thanks to everyone for the congrats and well-wishes. This is definitely a bittersweet moment for me. I have been with the County for almost four years and have become very passionate about my work here. I also have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for my bosses and co-workers. However, as all of you know, Planning jobs of this caliber do not come along very often and I felt like I owed it to myself and my family to take advantage of what is a very generous offer.

As far as Dragon is concerned, I feel like his position here is as secure as he wants it to be. He has a great deal of knowledge combined with a terrific work ethic. I think that regardless of how the Board chooses to replace me, or not to replace me, Dragon will do just fine.

As he stated, I am not going very far away. In fact, my new office will be just around the corner from the courthouse. That is another reason that this job is such a great offer. I made it very clear in the early interviews that I was not interested in moving (at any price). That fact did not matter to them in the least and to prove it they are going to establish an office here for me.

With all of that being said, I am moving on but just not very far (geographically speaking anyway). I do hope to continue to be an active cyburbian and look forward to many more thrilling and thought provoking conversations with all of you.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Dragon, I am in somewhat the same dilemma, as my boss is retiring next week, and we don't know who will be replacing him, if at all. There is talk of combining our section with another one, under their boss. I'm just going to wait it out. I agree with the other comments already made, it may turn out that you work for someone who will contribute to your professional development, and you do want to show some stability when you apply for jobs down the road.

Good luck to you, Dragon, and to you, too jestes!

Rem

Cyburbian
jestes said:
....As far as Dragon is concerned, .... He has a .... terrific work ethic.
But he posts on Cyburbia? ;-)

Congratulations jestes - hope the new position is everything you expect.

Dragonas many above have said, this is an opportunity, you should think about that before making a decision to leave. It sounds like you will always get a good reference from jestes regardless of your relationship with any new boss so you won't loose anything by staying put for a while.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Congrats to jestes....and I'll echo Repo's comments about Dragon. Best of luck to both of you!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Like all of the others said, stick it out. It would not look good to another potential employer to see that you stayed less than a year, and besides, why leave before you would know things were going downhill? There may be a new boss and the department goes on like before... maybe even another Cyburbian is looking to move on? Oh, wait, you are looking for a good boss. ;)

Congrats, jestes!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Getting in over your head will be good for you in the long run. Saying you were acting director with only 1 year of experience will put you on the top of the resume pile compared with others your age/experience. Like everyone said there's no saying whether your next boss will be a jerk or a mentor.

Congratulations and good luck Jestes.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I don't have anything worthwhile to add to the excellent advice given above, so I'll just say good luck to the both of you!

Congratulations to jestes ! :)

Dragon - I echo everyone else's comments about giving the new management a chance. Besides, you have to learn how to work with the good and the bad as it helps to balance yourself out.

Floridays

Cyburbian
Dragon said:
2. One Supervisor said that he has no immediate plans of replacing jestes, giving me a chance to “see how you do.” A trial by fire for me (here I should note, in my opinion about myself, I have a tendency “to rise to the occasion”, and I like a good challenge, but still.....). :-c

I say go for it! I was promoted to planning director when my former boss relocated to AZ. I had barely a year of experience and many of the applicants had like 8-10 years under their belt. But I think a lot depends on what type of management style they are looking for. Plus, if you have a talented staff (like I did), they will recognize that you are somewhat "green" and will teach you everything you need to know!

Yes, it was a bit intimidating at first. And "putting out fires" on a constant basis could be a pain at times. But it is a valuable learning experience, and any supervisory background is a major bonus when job hunting.

Good luck! :-D

Dragon

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Getting in over your head will be good for you in the long run. Saying you were acting director with only 1 year of experience will put you on the top of the resume pile compared with others your age/experience.
You know, I thought about that too. I have considered that being acting director for a month or two would look good on my resume. Then again, it might have a negative impact as well. Time will tell I suppose.

jestes said:
a terrific work ethic.
Sure, except when I over sleep, and you hang posters in my office, and then take pictures to put on cyburbia. :p

Thanks everyone else for their comments. :b: I had planned on staying and seeing what happened, but I wanted to hear other opinions as well.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Congrats to you jestes! I hope you enjoy your new place of employment. Does this mean you've gone over to the dark side? ;-)

Dragon, I echo what everyone else has said about you sticking it out to see what happens. Who knows this may be a great opportunity for a promotion. At worst the department is disbanded or you end up with a real a-hole as a boss - Either way you just move one as you're thinking about doing now. I would recomend, however, that you start putting out some feelers ust to see what's out there should you decide to go. You don't want to get caught completely unprepared.

Good luck to both of you!

WeBe-s

Dragon - I agree with the great advice above. My boss is retiring in Dec 06, and already I'm having anxiety about his replacement (a likely political appointment). After voicing my concerns to a co-worker who has been here 19 years, I got the don't worry, We're WeBe-s! (We Be here before you, We Be here after you). :D

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Dragon, I think you are making a good move. On a brighter note, my director was acting director for a while until they decided why make a change when it was working out and "blessed" him as director. Best of luck to you and best of luck to jestes