• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

MPAs and planning

MA

I originally wanted to earn a planning degree (masters level) but circumstances changed and I'm working on an MPA. Some say I could still work as a planner and yet others say that I could get my 'point' across better as an administator or that the planning field has a lower ceiling than mgmt/admin...(I'm one of those 'for the community' types in case u r curious as to my 'point')...any opinions or experience with this notion? al fustration. Good luck.

Linden Smith

Cyburbian
Yes, particularly if your undergraduate degree is in urban design.

In my experience, the principles of good urban design are broader than those of architecture or say, landscape arcitecture. Urban planning is about process and implementation. Good urban design is judged by brief consensus, and design is not -planning. Understanding that will only lessen your eventual fustration. Good luck.