• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

MUP Speed Limits

j.graham

Anyone have examples of effective speed limit implementation for multi-use pathways? There are some pathways in my city that are set at 20km/h (about 12.5 mph). However, there are a lot of cyclists that ignore it completely. Thoughts on this?

DVD

Cyburbian
Your using km/h so I'm going to assume you might be in Canada so things might be different there. Here, if you can't get local police to enforce it then it doesn't exist other than a nice warning and something for teenagers to shoot paint balls at. Sorry, it's not to helpful. Maybe someone else has better experiences?

j.graham

Yeah I'll give a bit more context. I'm in Ottawa, and these pathways are run by the NCC, which is a federal branch. So Ottawa police wouldn't really care much, or have jurisdiction. Enforcement would likely need to be done by the NCC itself. I'm thinking public awareness would probably be a better path than handing tickets out.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Anyone have examples of effective speed limit implementation for multi-use pathways? There are some pathways in my city that are set at 20km/h (about 12.5 mph). However, there are a lot of cyclists that ignore it completely. Thoughts on this?
Cyclist checking in: In general I follow the no harm, no foul rule of thumb. In other words, if no one else is around, speed limits mean nothing. On our MUP system there are a few areas that warrant slowing down due to traffic (restaurant next to the river MUP, MUP through a major park, etc.) and the city put down signs indicating slow zones and rumble strips on the MUP surface. I tend to pay attention to those.... if there are people milling around.

I don't have a problem with a posted speed limit, but generally I regard it as a liability thing: If I'm going faster than that and I have a collision, it's on me.