• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Music to Plan By

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Great Lyrics

Great Lyrics in that song. Even warmed me up in Arctic Alaska, where we are struggling to get to 30 above zero.
More, more.
Earl

smarty

Cyburbian
Hmmmm, quiet the mix posted here. Funny thing is, there must be something about planners, because we all seem to enjoy the same music, do the same things, same interests. I wonder if it's the same for other professions. Actually, I really don't care.

I must say that the Phish version of Gin and Juice is just hilarious. Nothing like Gangsta Rap done by folk music style. "So much drama in the LBC...." with a southern twang?!?!? Granpa Jones must be rolling in his grave. Has anyone heard the Comedy White Guy version? Kind of a Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy thing...........I wet my pants the first time I heard it.......

Anyway, my officed is filled with Buffett, Tosh (Legalize It sort of gest loud), Marley, Drop Kick Murphy's, Tiger Army, Buck-o-Nine, Pharcyde, Miles Davis, MethodMan, Beasties (in sounds from the underground), The Cramps, Social D, Saturday Night Fever soundtrack, Jurassic 5..................

Still, the Phish Gin and Juice is still tops right now. I had to edit this post because this track just dropped in on my player and I had this vision of a scene in Deliverance but add gold chains, some Wu-Wear and Mercedes/RangeRover/Viper/HummVee/Porsche.......in the middle of some 'holler' in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Ahhhh, with my mind on my money and my money on my mind.

Last edited:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Back in the 70's a lot of downtowns used to be wired for sound. Not that I remember - I just learned that the system is still in existence in our downtown. They're talking about reviving it, especially around Christmas. I wonder what people would think if planners were allowed to pick the music.

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Headin for Nashville

Hello to all the Musical Planners----
My wife Chris and I are heading for Nashville, from Barrow, Alaska, over 4000 miles, in about a week, for the 35th anniversary celebration of the group Steppenwolf.
There will be three days, starting May 31 of various events, including warm-up, chats, photo sessions, autographs, and then a private concert outdoors on Saturday afternoon.

Headin out the Highway (by air from Barrow), lookin for adventure......
Staying Wild
Earl

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Back from A Wonderful Retro in Nashville

Hello and glad this board is back up. Chris and I had a very wonderful time after flying about 4,000 miles from Barrow Alaska to Nashville, Tenn. Had a great weekend of memories and great music with the current and past band members of Steppenwolf and about 400 fans from all over the world.
I tell you there were times during the Saturday afternoon outdoor concert in bright sun in 90 degree weather that I knew I was back in the year 1969, and involved in my community and in various ways for peace and basic human rights.
Music can, and often is, a powerful force in our lives, not just when we are 20 and super-idealistic, but into our 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and beyond. Stay wild!!
Earl

Lake_Country

"My City Was Gone"--Chryssie Hynde's reflection about the growth and change of Sharon Center, Ohio and Akron

WENT BACK TO OHIO
BUT MY CITY WAS GONE
THERE WAS NO TRAIN STATION
THERE WAS NO DOWNTOWN
SOUTH HOWARD HAD DISAPPEARED
ALL MY FAVORITE PLACES
MY CITY HAD BEEN PULLED DOWN
REDUCED TO PARKING SPACES
A, O, WAY TO GO OHIO

WELL I WENT BACK TO OHIO
BUT MY FAMILY WAS GONE
I STOOD ON THE BACK PORCH
THERE WAS NOBODY HOME
I WAS STUNNED AND AMAZED
MY CHILDHOOD MEMORIES
SLOWLY SWIRLED PAST
LIKE THE WIND THROUGH THE TREES
A, O, OH WAY TO GO OHIO

I WENT BACK TO OHIO
BUT MY PRETTY COUNTRYSIDE
HAD BEEN PAVED DOWN THE MIDDLE
BY A GOVERNMENT THAT HAD NO PRIDE
THE FARMS OF OHIO
HAD BEEN REPLACED BY SHOPPING MALLS
AND MUZAK FILLED THE AIR
FROM SENECA TO CUYAHOGA FALLS
SAID, A, O, OH WAY TO GO OHIO

Last edited by a moderator:

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Chryssie Hynde and the Pretenders ---always one of my favorite groups in spite of frequent personnel changes. And "My City Was Gone" how true it is today. Thanks a lot!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
It's a Level 42 and Best of Howard Jones kind of day...

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Im having a "dead can dance" sorta day

*god please transport my mind and soul out of this hell*

BKM

Cyburbian
Dead Can Dance are great!

Have you ever heard Black Tape for a Blue Girl? A little less world music-y, but they feature a great operatic male vocalist and some fantastic female vocalists.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
no sounds awsome

i like the whole-out of this world trancy, chanting sort of thing

how about "Anonymous 4"

yummy

BKM

Cyburbian
I've heard of Anonymous 4 but never heard them.

If you want something really weird and "out of this world" (maybe a little dark), I also recommend the Norwegian duo Raison D'Etre. Great use of Gregorian chants over a spooky synthetic instrumental base. Great stuff-probably hard ot find outside a big city (or the Internet)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
well if i had the slightest idea how to put sound from the disk on here id let ya sample some but

oh well i guess i dont want someone screaming copy right crap

Tom R

Cyburbian
tunes

#1 The Essential Charlie Parker
#2 Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
#3 Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story Donut
#4 Iris DeMent - My Life
#5 Beatles - Abbey Road

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Anyone have this CD?

B000024TFP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

1. Conspiracy
2. Skyscraper
3. Headhunter
4. Downtown Chicago
5. Fading & Turning
6. Affluent Society
7. Stairway Affair
8. Good Choice, Bad Timing
9. Bachelor Of Crime
10. Unfit For Consumption
11. Days Of Grief & Glory
12. Eyewitness News
13. Missing Link

GeekyBoy

Cyburbian
Another planning related song, by Pet Shop Boys

"Suburbia"

Lost in the high street, where the dogs run
Roaming suburban boys
Mother's got a hairdo to be done
She says they're too old for toys
Stood by the bus stop with a felt pen
In this suburban hell
And in the distance a police car
To break the suburban spell

Let's take a ride, and run with the dogs tonight
In Suburbia
You can't hide, run with the dogs tonight
In Suburbia

Break the window by the town hall
Listen, the siren screams
There in the distance, like a roll call
Of all the suburban dreams

In Suburbia
In Suburbia

I only wanted something else to do but hang around

It's on the front page of the papers
This is their hour of need
Where's a policeman when you need one
To blame the colour TV?

In Suburbia
In Suburbia
In Suburbia
In Suburbia

Take a ride, and run with the dogs tonight
In Suburbia
In Suburbia

Run with the dogs tonight
In Suburbia
You can't hide
In Suburbia
In Suburbia
In Suburbia
In Suburbia
In Suburbia

GB

smarty

Cyburbian
cars

Gary Neuman - Cars

Here in my car, I feel safest of all,
I can lock all the doors, it's the only way to live,
in cars.............

Here in my car, I can only receive,
I can listen you, in case we stay for 4 days in cars.....

Here in my car, I am starting to think,
about leaving tonight, although nothing seems right.

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Still groovin to Phish up here in Arctic Alaska---
also my old standby Steppenwolf.
First snow of season yesterday --Sept18---
and its not even fall.
Stay warm
Earl

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Cars and Music and Planning

Think I lost my previous reply.
So to repeat----Lots of music about cars
Little Duce Coupe, etc.
and motorcycles Born to Be Wild,
Black Leather Trousers and Motorcycle Boots
(see if anyone on this board is old enough to remember that one.
But what about trusty mountain bikes ---healthiest of the bunch.
We need a good mountain biking song and planners help to
work in more trails.
On (or off) the road again....
Earl

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I just borrowed two CD's from a friend - both are remakes of famous rock songs remade as swingin' "lounge music".

Its really cool. Peggy Lee singing the Beatles hit "A Day in the Life" is outstanding.

smarty

Cyburbian
latest............

I've borrowed this CD (The Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band, Vol 1) from a co-worker. It's traditional hawaiian music; guitars, slides guitars, slackkey etc..............

really fun stuff, goes well with my lava lamp and hula girl shower curtain hanging in my office. It also helps take me away from the complaint callers, pyscho herione freaks that wander into City Hall and the drudgery of paper pushing. I think about surfing in Mexico..................

Also, the latest Talib Kwali or Jurassic 5 when i'm in that kind of mood.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Today its a sweet Radiohead 10-disc set of b-sides, unreleased tracks, live tracks, etc. that I got off the Radiohead usenet group.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
My music of choice when Planning all depends on what I am doing so here is my list.

When I am mapping (GIS) something more mind numbing like
Godsmack-awake
Medeski Martin & Wood -Combustion
Herbie Handcock - Headhunters
NWA - Straight out of Compton
Bush - Sixteen Stone

If I am writing a plan or study I choose
Phish - Any of my namy CDs are fine
Grateful Dead - Prefer Live Dick's Pick CD's
Steve Miller
or
Allman Brothers
Incubus

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Great music selection. Phish or the Allman Brothers could help any planner rise to new heights in innovation, and even ultimate implementation of plans. What more could a planner ask?
Keep these music insights coming!
Earl

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
OK this is mean

I just downloaded the Primus cover of "Cotton Eye Joe" just to annoy eveery sane person in the office.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Re: OK this is mean

bturk said:
I just downloaded the Primus cover of "Cotton Eye Joe" just to annoy eveery sane person in the office.

what?!? not Wanda's Big Brown Beaver? Geez- that could get everyone to storm your office!

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Current Times Music

All of you planners and music lovers are very inspiring!
Right now, with all the world turmoil, I am listening to "Monster", a 1960s peace and justice song from Steppenwolf.

"America, where are you now, don't you care about your sons and daughters......"
Also "draft resister."
and "rock and roll war"
Gives some comfort.
What are some of you listening to, inbetween talking heads on 24 hour cable stations?
Earl

Habanero

Cyburbian
Today is mellow music, Norah Jones, Chick Corea, Diana Krall, etc. Something to sooth keep my entertained while I look over house permits.

BKM

Cyburbian
I am pretty anti-war, but my commute car CD of choice this morning was Satyricon's new album "Volcano." Classic song: Black Lava! Not peace and love music by any means :)

prudence

Cyburbian
Todays it's

James - Getting Away With It...LIVE

brilliant stuff...great live sound and presence.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I've got a nice mp3 cd with The Eels, Beastie Boys, Beck, Ben Folds Five, Older REM, Grabage, and The Gorillaz. I am hoping it carries me through the afternoon.

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Milwaukee---that's my home town. I thought polkas were king there-----
Hey, all you great planners, whatever gets you through the day----I continue to be amazed at the diversity of tastes ----war or no war.
Earl

Hi all--
I saw the number of people looking under this thread was 1999---so just had to jump in and get us to 2000!
Wow, I think planners are the most musical, and most diverse musical, professional groups in the land.
Really, with all that is going on in the world, check out the 1969 Steppenwolf concept song --"Monster," with lyrics like "Now we are fighting a war over there---no matter who's the winner, we can't pay the costs.
and "America where are you now, don't you care about your sons and daughters" ---with America standing for freedom and justice,........"dont you know we can't fight alone against the monster." America!!!!
Makes a person think
Let me know what music helps you to think at times like this.
Peace to you all
Earl

Earl Finkler said:
Here is a question that incorporates several of my passions.
Does anybody have some good songs (including classic rock) to play while they are planning, writing, creating, etc?

Here are some of mine:
1. Magic Carpet Ride ---Steppenwolf
2. Out in the Country--Three Dog Night
3. We Built This City ---Jefferson Starship
and.....one of my recent favorites:

4. I am a Man of Constant Sorrow
(from O Brother Where Art Thou?)

Stay wild fellow planners
Earl

Hey, it must be the aurora or an incredible swath of boredom, but this initial post apparently has had over 3,000 hits. But no new posters in quite a while. Meanwhile the world of music keeps going round and round.
I thought I had discovered something new --World Music---recently when I interviewed the son of Alaska Native Leader Willie Hensley, Eric Mason, who lives in Florida and is part of a World Music Group Brother Roots.
I've now interviewed him several times for KBRW public radio in Barrow, Alaska and it seems like World Music has the potential to help us understand each other a little better across international boundaries and in spite of intense conflicts like the Iraq war, and reaction to 9-11.
Any interest in starting again on planners and music and maybe world peace? I could discuss it at length in person some summer night with friends.....but it would be neat on Perry's great site here.
Earl

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plan

diggin in the crates

this is a great thread. its always enjoyable to talk about music, lets you know a little something about people. heres what i got goin right now:

claude bolling - original ragtime
always some Django Reinhardt
and of course oscar aleman
most of the quannum projects albums
talib kweli
dr octagon
tons of dancehall reggae
the General Electrics album
Duke ellington's latin american suite
a benny goodman early trios/quartets albums (i think we're tlkin teddy wilson on the keys)
and a couple red norvo albums, including all the trio sessions were mingus rocked it on the bass

lets keep this goin!

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Master Plan said:
this is a great thread. its always enjoyable to talk about music, lets you know a little something about people. heres what i got goin right now:

claude bolling - original ragtime
always some Django Reinhardt
and of course oscar aleman
most of the quannum projects albums
talib kweli
dr octagon
tons of dancehall reggae
the General Electrics album
Duke ellington's latin american suite
a benny goodman early trios/quartets albums (i think we're tlkin teddy wilson on the keys)
and a couple red norvo albums, including all the trio sessions were mingus rocked it on the bass

lets keep this goin!

Thanks--great diversity of music. I'll bet the plans really flow with that playlist.
Let's keep it going. We all seem to love music in some form. Warm holiday wishes
Earl

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
The Music of 1960s, or 2006's

Wow, wow --over 11,000 hits on this topic. Planners must be the most musical professionals around.
Just saw that Jerry Lee Lewis has a new album out at age 70 -- titled Last Man Standing, with appearances by a number of music greats ---Eric Clapton, BB King, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, etc.
He is still standing, still rocking hard, and not in a rocking chair!

Keep going Killer! You inspire many of us who are still standing ----no electric scooters or wheel chairs yet!!!
Earl

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
You can sometimes get what you want ---Rolling Stones

Inspirational ----Ben and Bonnie Nageak of Barrow flew 2200 miles from Barrow, Alaska to Seattle (no road connections anywhere from Barrow) just to see Rolling Stones concert on Oct. 17 at large Qwest field, home of the Seattle Seahawks.

They loved it and shared the aura and wide smiles with the 4,200 residents of Barrow upon their return. Ben said Mick Jagger came down a runway into the crowd right near their seats and that he was within 5 feet of the legendary rocker, almost could touch his hand.

This was a heck of a concert! The warm up group was The Dave Matthews Band., and the Stones played over two hours.

And then the souvenirs ---Ben got a heavy duty Rolling Stones jacket and Bonnie got a heavy-duty Stones stadium blanket. Just in time for another long Barrow winter. Hey Hey!
Earl

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
A Jam for You to Enjoy While Writing One Zoning Report

Just downloaded "Headphones Jam" by Phish, 47 minutes in length
done in Vermont studios in Feb., 2004, just months before they split up.
I'd think that would cover any planner having to write up a zoning report, maybe two if they are minor cases.
Or writing yet one more memo to Planning Director asking him or her to have the department take on some burning issue, i.e. big box stores, lack of open space, lack of non-car transportation, unchecked growth, etc.

Rock on, and write on, with Phish, or group of your choice
Happy Spring
Earl in Alaska:h:

smarty

Cyburbian
Morning awakening......

to some nice coffee and NU: jazz Italia - a complilation of 'new' jazz via (duh) Italy, lively modern jazz. Wow, I really do need my coffee.......this is a lame post.:p

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Wake up to Jazz and Smell the Coffee

Great planner ideas ---some straight-ahead jazz, and maybe some gourmet coffee to start the planning day.

I forgot to add another ingredient to my previous post on long-form Phish music
and long-form Planning communications. Dogs ----try to have at least one dog in your office or cubicle at all times. They are great, lower your blood pressure and always think the very best of you.

Earl

meisdadoo

Unlike my kids, I can't think while listening to music with lyrics, so my preferred background music while working is an eclectic mix of mozart and random new age stuff. What some refer to as elevator music.;-)

smarty

Cyburbian
Reggea

My lil brother just gave me a copy of one of the Aggrolites CD's!!! I :l: this CD!!! It's in 'heavy rotation' in my CD player in my car. I can't take it out to load it onto my iPod..........

Anyone else have more suggestions??