• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

My Amish Sim City [long]

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Started it back in ... I think 1987. It covers about 40 square feet (4m2), with a scale of roughly 1 inch=1.2 miles, or 2 cm=1 km.

Yes, it sprawls. I wasn't going for an urban ideal, but rather something that resembled real world development patterns, from the grid in older areas to suburban street patterns that are appropriate for the era. There's also some large edge cities, TND developments, classic 1970s-era new towns, and 1980s and 1990s-era planned communities.

I'll post the legend in a few days.

Enjoy.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Very impressive Dan. That must have taken a lot of time. Are you still working on it?

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Wow - that's one big map! Guess that must have kept you out of trouble for a while...nice to see you kept it. All my ASC attempts were tossed long ago.

Does your city have a name?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
OMFG that is huge!
I'm not worthee I'm not worthee :p

Awesome city... I bet he will be inspired... or mabye a little bummed about the bad luck for his project...

I'll see how crappy (at least comparing to this) my ASC ends up being... I draw like sh*t and specially with a mouse... and not knowing much about gimp either... :p

BKM

Cyburbian
Damn. I used to do this in high school, on leftover newsprint sheets from the family newspaper route. Not nearly as finely crafted.

I drew mine at a bigger scale, with each house and commercial building drawn in and all the streets named.

A nerd was ("am") I