• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

My brother going to Iraq

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Just found out my brother, a Captain and soon to be Major, is going to Iraq in a few weeks. He is a CH-53D Sea Stallion pilot stationed at Kaneohe Bay MCAS and will be doing a FAC (forward air control) tour. Kind of scary. He is now at Camp Pendleton for three weeks of training. Anybody here have family that is there now or has since come home? Interesting thing is that he is the only one from his unit going since he has the most FAC experience.

Pictured at far left.

Best of luck to your brother and the rest of the troops over there right now. Our prayers and thoughts are with them.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Best wishes to your brother for a successful and safe TOD.

A local national guard unit is being called up for deployment to Afghanistan for a 12 month TOD. I'm not a very religious person, but I say a little prayer for all our troops.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
I will include your brother, his unit, and your family in my prayers for all of our troops. Handle business troops!

otterpop

Cyburbian
My best wishes to your brother and I hope following his tour of duty he will come home safe and well.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Thank you for your thoughts. Our family is in uncharted waters. This is my only family member up to my deceased grandparents who have been sent on a combat mission (although his may be more support but it's all combat when you are getting shot at) .

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
good luck and godspeed to your brother and his unit.

tsc

Cyburbian
safe travels and return to your brother and to all those abroad.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
My brother just got back from Iraq. We were on pins and needles for the year since he was in a pretty dangerous area. He is now counting the days until he is out of the Army. It really sucked for him since he missed the funeral of our uncle, though fortunately the Red Cross was able to get a satellite phone to him so they could speak before our uncle passed, as well as the birth of his first children, twin boys. He was fortunate enough to be granted 2 weeks of R&R during which he saw his sons, but that can't be expected to make up for it.

I wish your brother the best, and apologize for my pessimism, but my brother's experience there left me quite bitter about the whole war. I support all of our people who are over there and wish them a safe and speedy return.

Last edited:

Dragon

Cyburbian
I hope for a safe visit, and a quick return for your brother and all other troops there.

A good friend of mine got back from there a few months ago. He was very jumpy for a while. Now he is doing fine, and hoping he doesn't have to go back anytime soon.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Good luck to you and your kin. I echo the others, good speed and lets wrap this messup.

OT: "Loose Lips Sink Ships"

SlavetotheGrind, you have my compassion. But, as a military wife for the last 18 years, it bothers me somewhat the amount of details you included in your comments. This is a totally open board. A person does not even need to be signed up as a member to read what is said here. So, for the benefit of anyone else who might have a similar announcement in the future:

a) It is generally bad policy to give details of time and place about the professional activities of any military members you personally know. Someone "in the know" (like "enemy intelligence") will know what kind of training is done where, therefore: naming the amount of time that someone of a particular MOS ("job title") is going to be stationed at a particular military base prior to disembarking, while it may be meaningless to most folks, it can tell others exactly what kind of training they are doing.

b) Giving the specific qualifications for which the military member has been singled out to go is not only a potential risk to national security, I would deem it a personal risk to your brother. If someone is singled out because of exemplary skill and talent, that can not only suggest tactics which are important to upcoming battle strategies, but it can single that individual out as a potential crucial link in the chain. For forces like the ones we are presently up against -- whom our military is vastly superior to -- guerilla tactics and targetting key personnel and key weak points is their only hope. For the sake of your brother's life, I hope you will remove some of those details from the post. There is a reason why we do not single out (by dress, etc) who the officers are, etc, on the field of battle in a blatant manner: It makes them targets. The enemy will focus more effort on taking them out than on "just anyone".

If you go back through my posts, I never said where my husband was going when he was gone earlier this year. That is not a question I will answer in an online forum to ANYONE. I also rarely speak about what kind of work he does. Or give any other details about his work -- For his safety as well as national security.

Please do not take offense. I am hardcore military culture. Most folks do not think about such things. But it is a Given in my life. I am saying this as much for your sake and your brother's sake as for "national security": What with "Homeland Security" efforts, I would hate to see you investigated. I would also hate to see your brother's life put in an unnecessary amount of danger.

Peace and good luck to your brother and your family.

EDIT:
PS: For the sake of your brother, I, personally, think you should remove his picture from the WWW. Sigh. I have visions of some terrorist printing it off, enlarging it and looking for him.

Last edited:

boiker

Cyburbian
plannerkat said:
My brother just got back from Iraq. We were on pins and needles for the year since he was in a pretty dangerous area. He is now counting the days until he is out of the Army. It really sucked for him since he missed the funeral of our uncle, though fortunately the Red Cross was able to get a satellite phone to him so they could speak before our uncle passed, as well as the birth of his first children, twin boys. He was fortunate enough to be granted 2 weeks of R&R during which he saw his sons, but that can't be expected to make up for it.

I wish your brother the best, and apologize for my pessimism, but my brother's experience there left me quite bitter about the whole war. I support all of our people who are over there and wish them a safe and speedy return.
A fellow urban planner I work with is in a unit that was called to Iraq last February, He was supposed to be back this February, but that got delayed until June. And just today, it was announced that his unit will not be back to AT LEAST September.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Hope everything goes OK for your brother and your family.

My next-door neighbor's 19-year old is due to head to Iraq in a few months. I'll keep your family and his in my thoughts.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I will agree with MZ on this issue.

I can't even begin to know what you are feeling / experiencing,
except get involved in a support group and above all else pray.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My nephew was shipped over there in January. I was more apprehensive about him going than I was when I went ten years ago. This is a much dicier situation. I am very concerned for all of our troops.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
See STTG, only a family which has kin in the forces knows the pain and the seriousness of these wars. The rest of the world just watches TV, sympathises and later parties in weekends.
I wish your brother all the courage and the luck and your family all the support. Believe me, I know what it must feel.
Some body has to to the dirty job( I mean the good jobs are generally dirty) and your brother happens be one of them.
So all the best to him again and to your family too.

PS:

This is a totally open board. A person does not even need to be signed up as a member to read what is said here
In fact I wanted to mention this earlier to Dan and the group of moderators. Of course all one needs to know a person is to read all the posts in cyburbia. Because in Cyburbia, people discuss everything. From Planning issues to very personal aspects like the color and style of underwear. :p

But when it comes to military aspects then I agree with Michele quite a lot.

PPS: Imagine some terrorists reading the cyburbia. They would become better terrorism planners or leave terrorism altogether. Coz they would go mad. Just a joke Ok. But ..
HAHAHAHA

Rem

Cyburbian
Good wishes to your brother STTG and to your family. Ask your brother to say 'gidday' to the Air Traffic Controllers at Baghdad airport - I don't know any of them but apparetnly that is one of the jobs the RAAF is doing.

I just found out that one of my baby cousins is being sent to Afghanistan next week. He's in the Air Force. :(

B'lieve

Cyburbian
As a member of a (retired) military family, and someone with relatives and friends in/entering the military, I agree wholeheartedly with MZ.

Jen

Cyburbian
That's a fine picture of some able bodied soldiers. It keeps getting closer to home, and I DO think about our guys(which includes girls goes without saying) and the casualties, and how the flames of the bushie rhetoric keep the heat on...

Where are the terrorists anyway and who are they? I think they are in the white house sometimes!

It's not my war, and I don't think God picks sides either...

Proud of America's civilian military work force!

Wulf9

Best of luck to your brother. I hope he and all his fellow solders come home safe and soon.