• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

My cable internet company

kms

Cyburbian
My cable internet company sent a letter stating that our bill for internet services will go up $10/month because we don't subscribe to their cable TV plan. Is this the case with any of your providers?

We use broadcast TV; it's not like we don't pay for cable but go watch it on someone else's TV. The TV isn't even on when everyone else is gone for the day.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Yeah we have that too, but they word it as a "discount" on internet if you have other subscriber accounts.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Same situation here in western michigan. They were going to charge me $10, so I just ended up getting broadcast basic cable for $14/mo. at least I get a clear picture and I get a few morechannels than what I would get with just using rabbit ears.

sucks don't it!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I got a $10 discount when I got the cable company's internet service. Then they raised the price $5. Not much of a deal. I'm disconnecting soon and going back to dial-up.

Jen

Cyburbian
Go back to dial up? ::shivers::

but i would ditch basic cable in a minute and depend on rabbit ears for PBS and local Fox station - if they hike my internet bill that would be OK, if I could stream video channels of my own choosing..i dont think a cable company can really give me what i want. That is, i want more customizable options;

Repo Man

Cyburbian
My cable service is the same. You get $10 off the normal price of internet service if you have their cable package. It is fine with me because I can't even think of a time when I didn't have cable. I am too hooked on ESPN, HBO, Comedy Central, and the Food Network to give it up.

Found great deal w. Adelphia + Free Modem

Just got an unbelievable deal w. Adelphia. It’s $32.95 p/m for 12 months with no contract. They hooked me up with a free cable modem after mail in rebate through this site - http://specials.adelphiaoffers.com I love it!!! I can download, send, and receive hi-rez images with no problems.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
My cable service is the same. You get $10 off the normal price of internet service if you have their cable package. It is fine with me because I can't even think of a time when I didn't have cable. I am too hooked on ESPN, HBO, Comedy Central, and the Food Network to give it up.
Ditto, but add Discovery, Speed Channel, and FoxSports Net to my hooked list.

I am considering ditching cable tv for satellite even though my internet discount will disappear. I think I can get more service for the same $ even with the $10 increase.

I guess I'm old fashioned. I still have dial-up internet and refuse to upgrade to digital cable unless I have no other choice do so. How in the heck am I going to watch 10 HBO channels?? 8-!

ludes98

Cyburbian
Dial-up? I think I would throw the monitor through a window. 8-! ZG, going back to dial up sounds like torture after having broadband. I had to do it for a week during a repair, it was awful.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Guess I don't have the problem you have. You see, believe it or not, I don't have a computer at home. Ditched the dinosaur we had two years ago. Since I have it at work, I don't need one at home. But the wife wants one so we will be getting one shortly. As far as cable, we had our cable provided by our city but ditched it for Dish Network. Much better.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Well, I have separate cable TV and cable internet service providers.
The Cable TV is about 150 INR per month ( thats about 3 USD/month)
The Cable internet is about 800 INR per month( that's about 17 USD/month)
But the cable internet guy took a 3000 INR a one time non refundable activation charge( about 64 USD).
The monthly internet charges are coming down here slowly. Service is not bad I would say. :)

SGB

Cyburbian
Seems to me that the cable internet pricing packages in the U.S. are pretty much all the same. 8-!

Gee, could this have anything to do with the government sanctioned local/regional monopolies the cable companies have? :-#

Say it with me: "Monopolies: bad. Competition: good."

el Guapo

Capitalist
Cable Modem + Basic Cable = General Satisfaction (OLN, History Channel, Comedy Central, Fox News, CSPAN, and my local PBS from my home state, thus its all good & the broadband internet is very reliable and fast)

The local private cable company has 24-7 LOCAL tech support and they are really customer friendly and proactive. They are one utility I enjoy paying. I feel I get good value for my money, and I don't say that often.

boiker

Cyburbian
Doitnow!! said:
Well, I have separate cable TV and cable internet service providers.
The Cable TV is about 150 INR per month ( thats about 3 USD/month)
The Cable internet is about 800 INR per month( that's about 17 USD/month)
But the cable internet guy took a 3000 INR a one time non refundable activation charge( about 64 USD).
I think it's time to contract some indian cable companies in America.