My eyes are falling out!

What should I do?

• Over the Counter when it gets bad

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Go see an allergist and be on meds

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • Be a Man and deal with it… (and look stoned most the time)

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Ahhhhh. Flowers and Trees and Pollen everywhere. I have never had too much of a problem with Allergies, but for some reason in the past week, it has beat me down. I am not much for doctors, but I am for feeling better. What do you think I should do.

Right now, I took one 24-hour (over the counter) Claritin D and eye drops.

It has been recommend that I go to see an allergist mainly because of the dramatic diversity of plant material, and things to be allergic to.

Floridays

Cyburbian
A lot of us can probably relate to those red eyes and sinus headaches, etc. I use Clariton when it gets bad but I have to use eyedrops every day...I have found that Bausch & Lomb Opcon-A drops work great! If the over the counter stuff isn't cutting it, you'll probably need a script from an M.D.

Habanero

Cyburbian
I said "be a man".. but I'm only messing with you. Go get some allergy medication and some good eye drops.

The One

Cyburbian
:) A RED WINGS fan that is crying..... I like the sound of that.... :-D
Good luck getting your meds.

By the way, Looks like the Avs. won't make it to the next level :-c

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I would go to an allergist, but if the Claritin is not working for you, there may not be much else that can help.

B'lieve

Cyburbian
My allergies flared up this week, especially the eyes. I gave up on Claritin a couple years ago, because it wasn't working consistently for me. Sometimes it helped, sometimes it didn't. So I toughed it out like I had last year, until I sneezed several times in front of a class the other day (which the students found entertaining--7th graders are easily amused little devils), and later a student said my red eyes made me look high. Now, Visine eye-drops are working for me (though I love the safety warning: "Accidental swallowing by infants and children may lead to coma and marked reductions in body temperature." 8-! Nothing I have to worry about, but still...) If the Claritin isn't helping after taking it for 3 or 4 days, I'd say go to the doctor.

You can join in the "muslim"-looking tradition that I engage in of kneeling on the floor with my forehead flat on a rug ... and squirting saline solution up my nose to physically wash away the coating of pollen on a daily basis. If you have ever heard of a "netti pot", washing the sinuses is a very old tradition (in yoga, I guess) and non-drug and highly effective.

What I do is described in detail here: http://califmichele.com/saline.html

BKM

Cyburbian
I voted "take it like a man" because (as my earlier post indicated), I am pretty skeptical-for me-about the effectiveness of the drugs on the market. I would agree with Michelle-or at a minimum, take lots of showers and wash your face to reduce the pollen accumulation.

My biggest problem right now is none of the ancillary symptoms but asthma. I have that good ol' tight chest feeling a lot now. I hate albuterol :(

OH well, a pretty trivial problem compared to some.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Well, I took Claritin D for two days.. (Fri and Sat) well I also learned that 3 glasses of wine and two beers is not a good thing (even if they are over a 7 hour time frame). Sunday Morning, I thought I was going to die. Not because of a hangover, but because of being severely dehydrated. But you know what, it cleared up my head, and my eyes today remain the correct color with the help of eye drops!

*I also know your deal with Asthma... I was hospitalized for a week when I was in HS... now I make sure I keep it under control. But I rather deal with Allergies than Asthma.

Michele Zone said:
If you have ever heard of a "netti pot", washing the sinuses is a very old tradition (in yoga, I guess) and non-drug and highly effective.

Get thee to the allergist! But I've also heard very good things about the netti pot for allergies. and take a shower every night before you go to bed to rinse the pollen off.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I don't deal with allergies, so I can't offer any advise.

But you could make this as an excuse to not have to do counter duty. :-D

They shouldn't want the public to see yu like this.