• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

My family makes me look better by comparison:

Habanero

Cyburbian
All 3 of my aunts on one side married gay men the first time around-

The rest is just too crazy and whacked to even think about putting on here. Mostly drinking problems that led to someone setting themselves, and the house, on fire or psychological problems that need serious medications. Amazingly, I don't think anyone has ever gone to jail.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
My family is actually kind of on the normal side. The one person sticks out is my Uncle Mike - my mom's brother. I've only met him a couple times in my life because my mom for the most part hates him. He is a rough sort - drugs, prison, etc. etc. etc. No one even knows where he is at - he is not around and doesn't contact anyone. I never knew the whole story, so I didn't understand why my mom felt the way she did.

Until......

May 2001, my Grandfather died (mom's dad), and somehow someone got ahold of Uncle Mike. He apparently was able to hitch a ride up to Bay City for the funeral. He showed up wearing a a pair of raggedy black jeans and a tshirt that said 'Support your Local Hookers'. Afterward he hitched his way back to wherever and no one has heard from him since.

SW MI Planner said:

May 2001, my Grandfather died (mom's dad), and somehow someone got ahold of Uncle Mike. He apparently was able to hitch a ride up to Bay City for the funeral. He showed up wearing a a pair of raggedy black jeans and a tshirt that said 'Support your Local Hookers'. Afterward he hitched his way back to wherever and no one has heard from him since.

omg, sorry, but the t-shirt part made me lol.

As far as family skeletons, we just found out that rob's great grandfather was an uppity up in the buffalo italian mafia, and had to change his name and leave his family because of a falling out.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Dad's little sister, or, what happens to spoiled kids in the end: 4 kids, at least 3 different fathers, on husband #5. All kids have some kind of medical or psychological "problem" and Auntie has some kind of "disability" and can't work. She's the charming sort who believes the world owes her one.

My grandmother's aunt takes the cake for colorful family characters. She was a slumlord in Okeechobee who wrestled and hunted alligators for fun. I have a picture of her around the age of 60 sitting on a 12 foot gator that she had just bagged.

My husband and I routinely get into the "who has the most white trash family" debate. My alligator wrestling great-great-aunt wins every time!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
My family is quite normal, mabye except of my grandmother (mother's side) that's a little too selfish and quite dependant on my grandfather. Actually now, you can't blame her of much, since she is quite old 80 something (nobody knows her exact age) and she lived some hard times (the 29's depression) so I guess that maked her a lot.

So you see, I don't stand a chance, mabye I stand a chance at the Most normal family :p, but I don't think it's that normal... :)

Jen

Cyburbian
We are all plain vanilla. No divorces, no prison time, no illegitimate(sp?) kids. Only tattoos are on my parents. and my Mom shaves my dad's head - guess she likes baldies.

Though I do have two siblings who married Canadians if that counts?

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol as strange as i am-the family says im best of the bunch. this will all get rehashed this weekend-family get together so dad can meet the boyfriend (who he already does not like becouse hes a yankee and a lawyer)

sigh