• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

My Favorite Spring Break in College was

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Inspired by

Floridays said:
My favorite spring break was in Jamaica. How about yours? :cool:
Mine was Sun Valley Idaho - skiing

SGB

Cyburbian
Skiing in Steamboat Springs, CO in Spring 1989.

Good friends, good drink, free place to stay w/ free transportation, and great skiing conditions.

OMG - I just did that math! That was {gasp!} 15 years ago! :-c

Never went on Spring Break - preferred to go to AAG/APA conferences. The best was the AAG in Fort Worth, TX. ah.... its a haze of drunken-ness and red meat. :)

Actually - APA Boston was a good time also.

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
SGB said:
Skiing in Steamboat Springs, CO in Spring 1989.

Good friends, good drink, free place to stay w/ free transportation, and great skiing conditions.

OMG - I just did that math! That was {gasp!} 15 years ago! :-c
Wow! that just brought back memories, my favorite was 1990. We had the usual Arch school prebreak crit slam and all nighter, I did not sleep for 48 hours beforehand, and my hands were still stained w/ ink. We finished, thru our stuff in the car and bolted out to Keystone, blasting through Kansas in 4 hours cranking the music of the Alarm, and The Smiths and screaming at other cars like idiots. Stayed with a friend in Dillon, drank gallons of Natty light skied 6 hours a day, ate Ramen noodle and danced like idiots at the clubs afterword.

I guess that getting out like that w/ your friends after working so hard is a thing reserved for school, when ever I finish a big project now, I have to be around for questions for the next couple of weeks.

Geez, what ever happened to fun.

Never went on Spring Break in college. It just wasn't my thing, plus I worked during those years. Earning money to pay my bills was more priority than watching other people get drunk and sunburned.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Never went on Spring Break in college. It just wasn't my thing, plus I worked during those years. Earning money to pay my bills was more priority than watching other people get drunk and sunburned.
Me neither, come to think of it, I didn't even know people who went on spring break. Parents paying thousands for their kids to get drunk in Mexico is something I'm not cool enough to understand.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I worked at a Ski Resort, so I did not get to go anywhere for spring break… ever. BUT we did have A LOT of fun during that week every year. (we would throw nightly parties in the bar after the ski lift stopped, and invite all the cool people that we met that day)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I had two kick ass spring breaks during my Jr. and Sr. years in College. I think they were the two best vacations I have ever taken, with the one my Senior year taking the cake as the best. A week of hanging out on the beach in Clearwater, FL doing the typical spring break experiences. Getting drunk every day and night, hanging on the beach, drunk swimming, hooking up, etc. We met so many cool people and ran into many familiar faces from our college. Basically we spent 7 days doing the same thing over and over.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Planderella said:
Same here. Just didn't have enough money for that luxury.

nerudite

Cyburbian
It wasn't the whole spring break, but a bunch of friends and I went to Catalina for a few days during spring break in 1990. Pier fishing, hiking, some debauchery... good times.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
RichmondJake said:
Same here. Just didn't have enough money for that luxury.
Ditto.

Like Downtown, I was at the APA Boston conference... but I was already out in the working world by then!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Most of my spring breaks were spent working on projects.....but did get away and drove to Orlando one year and crashed with some friends at UCF and spent some time doing the amusement park thing....

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
What is the spring break you speak of? Where I went (told to go) for college did not have a spring break. We did, however, finish the winter semester in mid April.

boiker

Cyburbian
[sarcasm] ahhh.. spring break.. i can remember a ripping good time when we all piled in the car and drove to davenport, IA....just to visit iowa.. then we drove back to DeKalb (northern illinois univ). what a hoot! [/sarcasm]

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Spring break of '87 was the firt time I went to Utah. Five of us set out on Friday in a rented Caprice. Fifty miles later it broke down and was replaced with a Ford LTD - a car that would be tight for four, but far too small for five people with a lot of camping gear. Add to that a weak four cylinder engine that kept us moving at a blistering forty miles an hour through the mountains of Colorado.

Well, that aside, we spent a beautiful week backpacking in the canyons of Southeastern Utah. The weather was beautiful, the company was good, and the scenery was incredible.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
the whole problem with working the daily grind of 8-5 is that there are no more spring breaks. My favorite is the last one...when in grad school...two friends and I were sipping some liquid refreshment after exams and one said...'let's go to Mexico tomorrow, so we did.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
Never went on spring break, but I did enjoy one hell of a great long weekend in March 1987, when your Indiana HOOOOOOSIERS beat UNLV in the Final Four on a Saturday, and beat Syracuse on a last-second shot that Monday.

Not even close to sober for three days straight.

On second thought, I'm glad I'll never do that again.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
pete-rock said:
your Indiana HOOOOOOSIERS
They are not my Hoosiers - I am neither a native or IU alum
Hey Gedunker are they yours?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
JNA said:
They are not my Hoosiers - I am neither a native or IU alum
Hey Gedunker are they yours?
No, neither native nor an alum, although Mrs. G has a chemistry degree from Bloomington.

I happen to remember that very weekend described by pete-rock. I was in a little bar in Muncie, In. rooting for -- Syracuse B-). The place absolutely erupted when Keith Smart hit the game-winner. Decided then and there that Hoosier hysteria was highly addictive and have become a Hoosier fan (especially now that the General is gone).

Budgie

Cyburbian
Senior year in High School, about 40 of us went to Tenerife, which is one of the Canary Island's off the coast of north Africa. Sex, drugs and rock & roll. 4 days of complete debauchery.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
pete-rock said:
...your Indiana HOOOOOOSIERS...
I should've added quotes, because I was just trying to emulate the IU announcer when the team hits the floor.

It was crazy. Free beer at ALL the bars, thousands of people jamming the streets rampaging in a drunken stupor.

Isn't that like spring break?

biscuit

Cyburbian
As I posted in the other thread, our spring break was too early in the year so my friends and I never went the Cancun or Daytona Beach route.

One year we organized a weeklong backyard wiffle ball tournament that consisted of many cases of beer, a couple of shrimp boils and, of course, wiffle ball a go-go.

My most (vaguely) memorable spring break was when, on a whim, my roommates and I hopped in the car around 7:00pm with nothing more than a couple of gym bags and one tent and left Charleston for an impromtu trip to Key West. We arrived at 7:00am the next morning and immediately started the party. I'll spare everyone the sordid details involving the park picnic table, my nearly broken nose, the Wild Turkey shots, the girls from Virginia, being onstage at the Hog's Breath and the 2nd degree sunburns, but the trip home started just nearly 24 hours later. Ah, youth....
It wasn't a total debauchery however, we did stop at Cape Canaveral for a little educational tour on the way back. :-b

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Going on a road trip to New Orleans and Seaside with one of my fellow MUP students. It was cool.

We hit NO for Fat Tuesday then on to Seaside and the FL panhandle (beautiful), then north to Atlanta and then farther north for a day hike up Mt. Le Conte in the Smokey Mountains. Then back to Ann Arbor for a few extra days of relaxing.

Jen

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
My most (vaguely) memorable spring break was when, on a whim, my roommates and I hopped in the car around 7:00pm with nothing more than a couple of gym bags and one tent and left Charleston for an impromtu trip to Key West. We arrived at 7:00am the next morning and immediately started the party. I'll spare everyone the sordid details involving the park picnic table, my nearly broken nose, the Wild Turkey shots, the girls from Virginia, being onstage at the Hog's Breath and the 2nd degree sunburns, but the trip home started just nearly 24 hours later. Ah, youth....
:-b
I can vaguely recollect a similiar experience, only the boys were from York Univ, but all the rest sounds familiar! :-0

On Another spring break trip the first leg started early am at kentucky mammoth caves, then a AHRMA (vintage bikes) road tour Talladega-Daytona-Sebring then back to Michigan! Straight thru driving both ways |-) 8-! |-) 8-!

Budgie

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
I'll spare everyone the sordid details involving the park picnic table, my nearly broken nose, the Wild Turkey shots, the girls from Virginia, being onstage at the Hog's Breath and the 2nd degree sunburns, but the trip home started just nearly 24 hours later. Ah, youth....
It wasn't a total debauchery however, we did stop at Cape Canaveral for a little educational tour on the way back. :-b
Sounds like fun. Maybe sometime we can sit down over a pint and delve into the sordid deatils. Perhaps a reenactment at LAEFEST?!?

Tom R

Cyburbian
break

I could never afford one. Always worked in the VA office. I did take a month off one summer and hitch hiked to California and back.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Never been on a "spring break", though maybe this Chicago laefest will count as one. I'll try to go on a fishing trip over the summer and maybe out to LA to visit a friend.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Sounds like fun. Maybe sometime we can sit down over a pint and delve into the sordid deatils. Perhaps a reenactment at LAEFEST?!?
I'd be more than happy to delve into the sordid details with you over a few pints, but I don't know if my body could handle a reenactment anymore. o:)

Oh, who am I kidding? Bring it on Budgie! :b:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Maybe we should have a poll on who will kill who in drinking at the Chicago laefest?
I'll play it safe, since I'm not much of a drinker. I will volunteer to judge the competition. Bribes will be accepted.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I'll play it safe, since I'm not much of a drinker. I will volunteer to judge the competition. Bribes will be accepted.

Should I start a poll, who wants in on the competition? I think I'm going to make to Chicago for this one.

H

Cyburbian
Well, since I went home for all but one spring break (including during grad school) I guess my favorite was the one where I didnt go home and went skiing...with my family :)

I am tight with those guys. :-D

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
Should I start a poll, who wants in on the competition? I think I'm going to make to Chicago for this one.
That sounds good. I move to open nominations for condidates for Cyburbia' Laefest Drinking Challenge!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Rumpy Tunanator said:
You'll have to pick someone other than me for the contest as I most likely won't be able to make it to Chicago. :-(

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
That sounds good. I move to open nominations for condidates for Cyburbia' Laefest Drinking Challenge!
Seeing how I probally can't nominate myself (or can I), I'll nominate that guy who calls himself Budgie.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Senior year in High School, about 40 of us went to Tenerife, which is one of the Canary Island's off the coast of north Africa. Sex, drugs and rock & roll. 4 days of complete debauchery.
I wished I had the same experience (or any spring break experience for that matter) except for the drugs.:)

I've never been on spring break. Never had the dinero. However, I will have somewhat of spring break next week when I visit LA for the first time. I can picture it now, my fiancee, the top down on the convertible and cruisin' up Pacific Coast Hwy. Any suggestions on restaurants that the soon-to-be Mrs...Star and I can explore in LA or on the PCH. We have this thing where we are eating at a different ethnic restaurant every month. Thai, Jamaican/Carribean, Ethiopian and Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles are on the short list for the year.