• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

My Groom's Cake

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
As you may or may not already know, I'm tying the knot soon. I have an idea of what my groom's cake would be, but I would like to know your ideas.

Thus, would what be a cool groom's cake? Please offer your ideas. What's up?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Whatever your fiance wants. Even though its your cake, if she does not like it, you will never hear the end of it.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
My ex husband had a double chocolate cake with the Marine emblem on it. Very small and sweet (in more than one way)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay, having never been married, I have no idea what a groom's cake is. Is it different than the regular wedding cake?

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
What is this "Groom's Cake" you speak of? I have never heard of this before...
Traditionally, the groom has the opportunity to have a cake of his own with catholic ceremonies. Those cakes, which are not traditional wedding cakes, are usually whimsical cakes, i.e., a chocolate cake designed in the shape of a football.

H

Cyburbian
Dude, I have no idea. My wife picked it out. I think it was chocolate and had a big UT VOLS on it written out in orange or something.

But I think a naked lady sculpture cake would whoop ass as a groom’s cake!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
I diodn't have one, but here's.....

Everything you wanted to know about the Groom's Cake
by Deborah Keck
ForeverWed.com Wedding Expert

Have you ever wondered how the the grooms cake tradition began? It orinated in the South and was meant as a symbol of the couple's sweet life together.

Traditional Cakes

For many years the Groom's cake has served as a type of favor for guests. It was usually a dark fruitcake which was baked in advance, cut up into small squares, and put into little monogrammed boxes. The boxes were given to the guests to take home. The time, labor and cost in doing this ultimately led to the virtual end to this tradition.

Modern Cake Designs

Today the Groom's cake really serves as a way for the Groom to have his own special part of the reception or rehearsal dinner. The cake often hints at some aspect of the Groom's personality. If the Groom loves to play golf, the cake may resemble a golf bag. If the Groom is a race car driver, the cake may resemble a race car. If the Groom loves Michael Jordan, the cake may resemble his basketball jersey...I think you get the picture.

In general, the Groom's cake is often a chocolate cake but may be the groom's favorite flavor. If he just loves carrot cake, make it carrot cake. If he just loves cupcakes more than regular cake, make it cupcakes! There is no limit to the design and there is nothing really traditional about it.

Who Orders?

The Bride usually orders the Groom's cake from the same baker who is providing the wedding cake. Unless the Groom was in on the original decision, the Bride usually keeps the design of the cake a secret until the wedding day.

Some Groom's prefer to order the Groom's cake themselves, keeping it a secret from the Bride. Either way, the Groom's cake can be a fun part of the wedding celebration.

When Do We Display the Cake?

Some couples choose to serve the Groom's cake at the Rehearsal Dinner as a dessert because it is often a "less serious" cake than the wedding cake. Other couples choose to display both the wedding cake and the Groom's cake at the wedding, allowing the Groom's cake to serve as another dessert option. Either way, both are acceptable.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Being ex-catholic, and still attending catholic weddings for family all the time, I have to question if this is a southern thang.

edit: NHP gave me the answer! LOL

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Big Easy King said:
Traditionally, the groom has the opportunity to have a cake of his own with catholic ceremonies.
Hmmm...I guess Mrs. Tranplanner neglected to tell me about this.

EDIT:
For many years the Groom's cake has served as a type of favor for guests. It was usually a dark fruitcake which was baked in advance, cut up into small squares, and put into little monogrammed boxes. The boxes were given to the guests to take home. The time, labor and cost in doing this ultimately led to the virtual end to this tradition.
I guess we were pretty traditional then as this is what we did for our bonbonairies (sp).

ecofem

Cyburbian
Red Velvet Cake in the shape of an armadillo (w/grey icing)... ala Steel Magnolias.

I didn't know it was a Catholic wedding thing. I've seen it at infidels' and non-believers' weddings as well. ;)

I don't want a silly-ass frou-frou cake. Why can't the bride have something whimsical as well?

Jeff

Cyburbian
What is this grooms cake you speak of ??

OT
BTW... this morning I said to my wife "What is this TV program you speak of." Way too much time on here.

Back on topic......

A real grooms cake would be ..... nonexistent.

Real men don't eat cake at their weddings. Real men don't get married.

Once again, I am not a real man.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
I didn't know it was a Catholic wedding thing. I've seen it at infidels' and non-believers' weddings as well. ;)

I don't want a silly-ass frou-frou cake. Why can't the bride have something whimsical as well?
You're right. It's probably a common thing now. Whatever you want, my dear. :) ;-)

biscuit

Cyburbian
The future Mrs. Biscuit has been hounding me to pick out something for a grooms cake. I don't know what I would have put on there. I do like Huston's idea of a naked woman although, I don't think that would fly with the family. One thing we have decided is to serve it as desert at the rehearsal dinner on account of of the copious amounts of wedding cake that we'll have at the reception.

Maybe I go with something South Carolina themed like a big blue palmetto flag cake. Or maybe I could even have it done in a planner theme with a site plan or CD contract done in icing. ;)

SGB

Cyburbian
I typically don't like most wedding cakes, as they are usually too rich for my taste. This was true of our own wedding cake.

Consequently, my groom's cake was a carrot cake - one of the few cake types I really like.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
It's your wedding. Get whatever you want, hon! I don't believe in all that 'traditional' stuff that you HAVE to do... do what you want... it's once in a lifetime! I think you should get five little sheet cakes in different flavours that spell out GRITS!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
It's your wedding. Get whatever you want, hon! I don't believe in all that 'traditional' stuff that you HAVE to do... do what you want... it's once in a lifetime! I think you should get five little sheet cakes in different flavours that spell out GRITS!
Great idea. She can have whatever she wants. :)

jmf

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
I diodn't have one, but here's.....

Everything you wanted to know about the Groom's Cake
by Deborah Keck
ForeverWed.com Wedding Expert...

Traditional Cakes

For many years the Groom's cake has served as a type of favor for guests. It was usually a dark fruitcake which was baked in advance, cut up into small squares, and put into little monogrammed boxes. The boxes were given to the guests to take home. The time, labor and cost in doing this ultimately led to the virtual end to this tradition. ...
This is still quite common around here among both Catholics and heathens (like me).

We did not do this at our wedding though. We had one large cake *but not tall and flooofy* and one small cake, both the same kind, which we both picked out because we had been to too many weddings where the cake was gross. It was a light lemony cake. We got the second one in case the larger one wasn't big enough, we ended up using it the next day . Some had it for breakfast and others had some at a barbeque we had (we didn't do the honeymoon thing, we did the house thing). We also saved pieces for some people who weren't at the wedding like a neighbour whose garden we used for photos.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Habanero said:
What James will get if we do the whole big wedding, a hockey cake
Good thing you explained. I thought he was in to figure skating for a second! ;) (sorry gays)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
By the way, future newlyweds, after taking up space in our freezer for a year the leftover cake tasted HORRIBLE.

SGB

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
By the way, future newlyweds, after taking up space in our freezer for a year the leftover cake tasted HORRIBLE.
After tasting ours one year after, I decided we should have instead shellaced it right after the wedding and kept it as a paperweight or doorstop.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Seabishop said:
We still have some wedding fruitcake lurking in our freezer - it's supposed to be consumed at the christening of our first child. That's going to be one old piece of cake...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Its all in the packaging. My MIL wrapped up our cake, put it in a styrofoam cooler, taped the entire perimeter of the opening, then wrapped it all again in another plastic sheet. It was actually just as good as new.

[homer]
Banana cake. mmmmmm.
[/homer]

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Planderella said:
Fruitcake like the traditional holiday fruitcake that you give to people you don't like?
No, this is the good stuff - homemade by my wife's memaire. Fruitcake is the "traditional" wedding cake of choice around these parts.

As I mentioned, we doled out bits of fruitcake for our bonbonairies. Our actual wedding cake was a different matter entirely...

My wife's aunt makes cakes on the side. Very..uh...glurgy cakes. Of course, we had to let her make our wedding cake otherwise she'd be offended and all. My wife and I had a hard time controlling ourselves when viewing her portfolio and samples. Lots of tacky (to us) themed cakes, etc.

We really wanted something simple and elegant, and we finally managed to convince her to just make us a very simple cake with minimal decoration. She was not happy about this at all. At one point she didn't want to take credit for the cake, but we convinced her in the end that it was the perfect cake for us.

donk

Cyburbian
For the cake design, how about one in the shape of the number 3 or with the silhouette of a naked lady ala trucker mudflaps or as a final sugeestion, the cyburbia logo?

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Good grief, yet another wedding tradition/marketing ploy. I am such a bad bride, had no idea mr. plannerbabs was supposed to choose some sort of theme cake. He'd probably choose donuts or banana bread anyway.
And what's so celebratory about eating stale cake, anyway?

H

Cyburbian
Plannerbabs said:
And what's so celebratory about eating stale cake, anyway?
Yes. That stale cake tradition is for the birds. My wife and I opted not to do that one. Instead we saved a bottle of champagne from the wedding and drank it on our one-year anniversary.

That’s right. Champagne. Im a real class act ;)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Huston said:
That’s right. Champagne. Im a real class act ;)
You're right. Nothing esays class more than an $8 bottle of raspberry flavoured Grande Spumante. ;)

H

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
You're right. Nothing esays class more than an $8 bottle of raspberry flavoured Grande Spumante. ;)
Actually it was Korbel Red or “Rouge” which is a Pinot Noir, Cab. Sauvignon Champagne that we picked up at the celler in northern Cali. If you ever see it, try it. Its true that it is not that expensive, but it is very VERY tasty.

It went great with Brie and baguette.

Do I sound like a wuss now or what? 8-|

Edit: That Champagne talk would be my wife’s words being spoken through me. This is the kind of thing you talk about when your married. You’ve been WARNED.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Huston said:
Edit: That Champagne talk would be my wife’s words being spoken through me. This is the kind of thing you talk about when your married. You’ve been WARNED.
Dear Lord, if that's what will happen I better back out while while I still can.
Oh, who am I kidding? Just being in a long term relationship has probably been enough to start my transformation into a champagne talking brie eating wuss boy. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go grow a pony tail and compose a few crappy love songs on my acoustic guitar. ;)

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Sometimes it goes the other way, you know. I rarely vacuumed or dusted before mr. plannerbabs and his tidy (er) habits came along. And he's the one who usually picks out the furniture and alphabatizes the DVD's.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
Dear Lord, if that's what will happen I better back out while while I still can.
Oh, who am I kidding? Just being in a long term relationship has probably been enough to start my transformation into a champagne talking brie eating wuss boy. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go grow a pony tail and compose a few crappy love songs on my acoustic guitar. ;)
Hope you like candles, candleholders and other candle accessories. ;)

The Big Easy King is not marrying a glurgy woman so he has nothing to fear (at least not in THAT category). ;)

Queen B

Cyburbian
ecofem said:
Red Velvet Cake in the shape of an armadillo (w/grey icing)... ala Steel Magnolias.
That's the one that came to mind but I couldn't remember from where.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I was at a wedding this past weekend and saw (or at least noticed) my first Grooms Cake. I probably would have not even noticed if it wasn't for this thread. Anyhow it was a cake made in the shape of a Hummer.

My guess is that there was some miscommunication between the grooms request for his bachelor party and what kind of cake he wanted. ;)

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
I was at a wedding this past weekend and saw (or at least noticed) my first Grooms Cake. I probably would have not even noticed if it wasn't for this thread. Anyhow it was a cake made in the shape of a Hummer.
Funny you should mention that. I've been asking Planderella to buy me a Hummer (the real deal), but she refuses. I want that damn vehicle! ;-)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Am a double loser on this topic
still single and diabetic.
so in best Iraqi Information Minister voice/tone:

wedding cakes, there are no wedding cake nearby....