• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

My Halloween Costume Is...

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Okay kids, Halloween is approaching and I know many of you will don costumes that would be considered either boring, creative, sexy, funny, or would make one holla, "What the f...!?!"

So, what will you be wearing on spooky Halloween?

What's up?

SGB

Cyburbian
I probably won't dress myself up for Halloween.

But I will enjoy watching our son go trick-or-treating dressed up as a zoning officer.

[kidding]

donk

Cyburbian
This should make tranplanner laugh .

I plan on going as bubbles from the trailer park boys, another friend is going as julian and another friend is going as ricky.

nerudite

Cyburbian
We are going to a wedding on Halloween, where the reception is 'costume optional'. Given that we are moving right before Halloween, I don't think I'll have the energy to put together a costume. That being said, my hair is kind of crazy curly/long right now, and with the right sunglasses, clothing and love beads I could do a really easy Janis Joplin or something in a pinch.

Wulf9

I'll be dressed as a California planner -- blue button down shirt and khakis.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Hum... any advice for a costume of a Developer that paves wetlands and builds in the floodplains? ;)

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
SkeLeton said:
Hum... any advice for a costume of a Developer that paves wetlands and builds in the floodplains? ;)
Ask Mike D......

Tom R

Cyburbian
halloween

I don't plan on wearing one. I'll be staying home passing out goodies to the little snot nosed, ungreatful cretins. I thought of hot wiring my door bell to 110 but chose not to. Can't afford to waste electricity in N. Ohio, you know.

Tom R

Cyburbian
JJ

nerudite said:
We are going to a wedding on Halloween, where the reception is 'costume optional'. Given that we are moving right before Halloween, I don't think I'll have the energy to put together a costume. That being said, my hair is kind of crazy curly/long right now, and with the right sunglasses, clothing and love beads I could do a really easy Janis Joplin or something in a pinch.
I wanna pic!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I won't be in costume, but we are dressing the weiner dogs as pit bulls. They like to greet people when we open the door.

biscuit

Cyburbian
I think I may dress as the bringer of doom...
PROFESSOR CHAOS!

We actually do dress up here so I'll have to think of something. Since I still catch some flak for my accent I thought I may stick it to these yankees and come as a Confederate Soldier. But some of my co-workers are very literal minded so I don't think they'd get the joke. Our Urban Designer has taken to calling me Jethro so I'm considering dressing as Jethro Bodine from the Beverly Hillbillies.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
Buy a Tonka bulldozer and make a few paper houses. Put a house down here and there, and smash it with the bulldozer.

Pass out business cards that say something like "Wetlands a problem? We'll pave over them for you!"

ecofem

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Buy a Tonka bulldozer and make a few paper houses. Put a house down here and there, and smash it with the bulldozer.

Pass out business cards that say something like "Wetlands a problem? We'll pave over them for you!"
.... and wear a black top hat.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
I'm thinking about dressing as either Wonder Woman or a drag queen. Maybe I'll combine the two....
Dress as Wonder Woman! Then post pictures. ;)
Sorry BEK.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Chet said:
Dont you mean APM? After all, it was HIm that registered on the temp board as APM. ;)
Anyone from Toll Brothers will do....

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
mmm...something in a pinch. THAT's the costume I want to see!

If it's Janis Joplin, I would probably try to do Jim Morrison or some such thing, seeing as how my mop is similar to his. Anyone got any leather pants I could borrow?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I'm undecided. The building I'm in now just doesn't do it up like my previous job. Felt kind of silly (and lonely!) last year.

tsc

Cyburbian
SGB said:
I probably won't dress myself up for Halloween.

But I will enjoy watching our son go trick-or-treating dressed up as a zoning officer.

[kidding]
SGB... he would make all the kids cry!!!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
I'm just going to answer the door naked.

It'll scare the kids with the added benefit of making them lose their appetite for my candy!

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
My GF will be dressing as a Hooter's girl. I got her the tank top in Ft. Myers last year and I bought the orange shorts off of eBay this weekend.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Don't do Halloween
It's a conspiracy /plot by the Dentists and Candy Companies.
Besides is it not pagan?

Habanero

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:

It'll scare the kids with the added benefit of making them lose their appetite for my candy!
since when are nuts considered candy?

I don't think we're doing anything for halloween, I know I'm not dressing up. bah humbug.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Ugh.. I forgot that this is the time of the year in which many start ranting about imported traditions here ... like halloween..

blah blah blah it's a Yankee tradition it doesn't belong here blah blah blah it supports consumism blah blah blah....
[ot]
I have enough with the anti-divorce campaign that the Catholic church is sponsoring, due to the approval of our new Civil Marriage law (the old one was from the 1800s).
They first did some terror camapign showing some statistics from a US study... people that were separated eventually felt stigmatized, now they're whining about the unilateral divorce clause, in which the couple first has to go through marriage counceling and be separated for at least 5 years before divorcing... and that violates the for-life catholic marriage? Heck even the church does some marriage nullities, in specific cases... And right now civil marriages had to get nulled though lies, with no particular parental obligations, and children became illegitimate children.

sorry for the off topic rant[/ot]

Mastiff

Gunfighter
JNA said:

Besides is it not pagan?
Sort of... All Hallow's Eve is actually a Christian holiday, but takes its roots from a Pagan tradition (Samhain Eve).

But if you aren't going to celebrate Pagan holiday's, you might want to reconsider...

Christmas (Yule)
Valentine's day (Candlemas)
Easter (Eostera)
Groundhog Day (Oimelc)
May Day (Beltane)
Thankgiving (Fall Equinox)

...and we can talk about holy symbols and why certain churches and cathedrals were built on particular sites!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Mastiff - did not mean to or want to open a new thread similar to the previous one that got rather heated which I am glad I stayed out of.

I will stick just with being anti-consumerist toward Valentine's Day.
GroundHog Day - a good movie.
don't remember celebrating May Day.

Last edited:

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
ick no pleather pants with PVC major nono!

Now add a big spike filled collar and your all set

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
ick no pleather pants with PVC major nono!

Now add a big spike filled collar and your all set
Good thing you are here to let me know. What a major fashion mistake I would have made.;) By the way, that is not me in the photo.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
JNA said:
Mastiff - did not mean to or want to open a new thread similar to the previous one that got rather heated which I am glad I stayed out of.

I will stick just with being anti-consumerist toward Valentine's Day.
GroundHog Day - a good movie.
don't remember celebrating May Day.
Open debate on religion can really be a good thing... however, you must, must, be willing to lay your beliefs to the side and be willing to listen. The reason the ad hominem insults and anger towards the other side comes into play is that people feel they are fighting for their religion, instead of simply arguing facts.

Once, I argued with a Baptist preacher for two hours, using a bevy of scientific fact regarding the history of religion. Every time, he countered with, "But the Bible says..." Which, as a sole source, is a reasonable account. But you can't use it as the only source. All I wanted him to do? Just say, "I take that on faith..."

Oh, and keep that anti-consumerist attitude, use it on Christmas as much as possible, too.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
My husband will be a demented SpongeBob, and I am still undecided. There is a high likelihood that I will be joining several friends as KISS. I'm debating between Ace Frehely and Peter Crist...

My office costume is usually planner vampire. My fangs either scare the crap out of fellow co-workers or turn them on. I may do something different this year, though.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:

Hmmm...I bet the kiddies will say "trick" much more than "treat!" ;-)