• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

My school doesn't offer Urban Planning.

Kobayashi

Cyburbian
Let me break down my problem to you guys very quickly. I'm a 24 yr old MARRIED (wife has a GIS degree) student in Mobile Alabama. I attend the University of South Alabama, majoring in Geography. My school doesn't have a Urban planning department, and i'm curious what is the best way to get into the urban planning field.I hope to live in NYC or the islands of Hawai'i. Can i get a job in Urban planning with a degree in Geography or should i pursue my masters? How hard is it to get into Grad school? What GPA is usually required.

Also, i've recently joined such organizations as the "Historic Mobile Preservation Society", and "Main Street Mobile". Will these credentials help in pursuing my career? Would an internship with the City of Mobile Urban Planning department look good on my application to Grad School?

If anyone here is familiar with University of Hawaii @ Manoa, any information would be great.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Kobayashi said:
Also, i've recently joined such organizations as the "Historic Mobile Preservation Society", and "Main Street Mobile". Will these credentials help in pursuing my career? Would an internship with the City of Mobile Urban Planning department look good on my application to Grad School?

Yes, these activities will be looked on favorably by an employer, and yes, a geography degree can get you a planning job. Experience counts for everything. Everybody has a degree, it is your experience that sets you apart.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Get an internship, get an internship get an internship!!!

I, like many here, have a Geography degree and got right into planning but get some dirt under your shoes and some paper cuts on those hands even if its unpaid.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Internships are great, but as someone who moved from one state to another, you may want to try to get experience through an intership first prior to applying for real jobs. Also, since you joined two HP groups, you may want to look at historic preservation programs. SCAD in Savannah now offers their MA degree online. My degree is from there, but I work in real planning.