• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

My Syracuse Photos

cnyOntario

Since you guessed Syracuse right on the "Guess the city" thread, now I want to show you my photos I took on November 23rd 2003.

It starts out on Interstate 81 coming from the Northern suburbs and heading into downtown Syracuse. I took over 100 photos, so this is just a small sample. (I might make another thread with more pics later) And yes, this is a Sunday Afternoon.

1417MYfuzzyskyline-med.jpg
1417MY81churchsteple-med.jpg
Destiny USA is "planned" for the parcel of land on the right
1417MYskyline81billboard.jpg

1417MY81statetowerchase.jpg
1417MYclintonsquaremonumentold.jpg
1417MYfederalbuildingdark.jpg
1417MYclintonoldredbuilding.jpg
1417MYclintonexchangepost.jpg

1417MYheartofsyracuse2.jpg
1417MYclintonexachangerink.jpg
1417MYchasestreetattfromwest.jpg
1417MYattbuilding.jpg
1417MYchaseclintonstreet.jpg
1417MYfederalamosclintonexchange.jpg
1417MYnimosideclose.jpg
1417MYhanoversquareclose.jpg

1417MYchasestreetscence.jpg
1417MYhanoversquareblackbuilding.jpg
Downtown from Long Branch Park
1417MYnumber26test.jpg

Hope you liked my pictures!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Nice photos Bizzo34. I especially like the Art Deco building toward the bottom -- do you know the designer by chance? Looks like it might be Cram and Goodhue IMO. I also like the red brick 7(ish) story hsitoric building on the corner near the park. It looks vacant, however. Do you know anything about the building?

cnyOntario

Thanks!

The Art Deco building is the Niagara Mohawk power company headquarters building. (now a division of National Grid) I don't know who designed it. The old red building is used by the Transportation planning commission for the region (I'm pretty sure it is). I don't know why some windows look boarded up, maybe just part of the building is used. Sorry, I don't know much about the history of Syracuse. I'm really not a history buff. Thanks for the comments!

BKM

Cyburbian
Syracuse always looks like a handsome city from the photographs. A long time ago, when I was in Upstate NY, I actually phptographed the Flatiron Building-it remains one of my favorite photographs that I've taken.

I hope the City can find an economic future other than a chain store-filled mall selling imported Chinese goods (DestiNY). :)

Gotta love the Dinosaur Barbacue....! Great food and lots of fun. One of the only reasons I go to Syracuse once in awhile. The City has great potential and is starting to make progress. Armory Square area is nice and the rehab on some buildings was done in the right way.

tsc

Cyburbian
Syracuse has it's good points...haven't been there in a while. Yeah, the Dino BBQ.... and Hydes Hotdogs... actually the other end of the lake. They have that great regional farmers market too..