• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

My trip details

JNL

Cyburbian
For those who might be interested in my upcoming round-the-world trip, I have just confimed my booking and these are the details:

Sat June 12 - Wellington to Auckland, Auckland to Los Angeles, Los Angeles to Chicago (and after 50-million hours flying, I still arrive the same day!). michaelskis be warned I may have a serious case of jet-lag and not make a lot of sense!

Somewhere in here: Chi-town and Toronto laefests :b: :) :b: :) :b:

Sun June 20 - Toronto to London (Heathrow)

Wed June 23 - Join a 14-day Contiki bus tour through London-France (Paris, Lyon, Avignon, Antibes)-Italy (Florence, Rome, Venice) - Germany (Munich, Rhine valley) -The Netherlands (Amsterdam!!), back through Belgium to Calais, where we catch a ferry back to Dover and London.

Wed 7 July - maybe visit relatives in England, maybe Belgium (have a few days open)

Sat 10 July - London to Stockholm, staying with friends there

Fri 16 July - catch train through Sweden, ferry across to Germany, train to Dusseldorf, staying with friends there

Thu 22 July - Dusseldorf to London, London to Bangkok (Arrive 23rd). Stay One Night in Bangkok!

Sat 24 July - Bangkok to Sydney (arrive 25th)

Sun 25 July - Sydney to Wellington

Mon 26 July - Back to work! :-c

Last edited:

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
What? not comming through Chile? Any world trip is incomplete without passing though Chile.. I mean come on, where else in the world do you have the most arid desert, subtropical rapa nui, Lakes and volcanoes, glaciers, vinyards, all in one country! :)

No, I'm not being paid off by the tourism commision :-D

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
SkeLeton said:
What? not comming through Chile? Any world trip is incomplete without passing though Chile.. I mean come on, where else in the world do you have the most arid desert, subtropical rapa nui, Lakes and volcanoes, glaciers, vinyards, all in one country! :)

No, I'm not being paid off by the tourism commision :-D
Plus, you would probably be the only living Cyburbian to meet SkeL!

Sorry you can't swing south to meet the other Cyburbia contingent. But, hope you'll post some pics as you travel. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

JNL

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!
I hope so :) I'm spending all of my savings on it! Can't wait to go shopping in Italy! :-D

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Sounds like a crazy trip, sort of like that movie Around the World in 80 days, although you won't be traveling via hot air ballon. I'll probally be only taking a trip to the cannery this summer :-c

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Wow fun trip! send us postcards eh? Maybe Dan can post the pics from the cards on here.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Cool! I'll start planning the Toronto Laefest - likely to be Sat. June 19th. details in the "Laefest site site" thread.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
good luck!

This will be a great time for you.

But...after the Chi-town laefest, you might not want to go any further :-D ...well....until winter ;-)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
michaelskis be warned I may have a serious case of jet-lag and not make a lot of sense!
I will make sure that I hold up the "Global Kiwi" so you can find me. As for the Jet-Lag, that is ok...

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
It is startin to look like I will not make it to laefest in Chi-town.

Maybe I could meet up with Michaelskis and JNA sometime in Kalamazoo. There are a few cool things to do around K-zoo or Portage.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
Maybe I could meet up with Michaelskis and JNA sometime in Kalamazoo. There are a few cool things to do around K-zoo or Portage.
I was thinking a beer a bar tour... Bells, O.P. Old Burdicks, and Monico Bay, Weigh Side (But in reverse order so she can see the full scope of K-zoo bars)

Sound good, any additions?

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
michaelskis said:
I was thinking a beer a bar tour... Bells, O.P. Old Burdicks, and Monico Bay, Weigh Side (But in reverse order so she can see the full scope of K-zoo bars)

Sound good, any additions?
The Corner Bar, Ouzo's and O'Duffys.

If you want to expose here to the College crowd Firehouse.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
The Corner Bar, Ouzo's and O'Duffys.

If you want to expose here to the College crowd Firehouse.
Ohhh that hook and ring game that the Corner Bar!!! I still have not been able to get that thing...

Hmmm that is alot of beer... I would also like to drag Maister into this as well. I know that one of the days I was going to show her our planning office, but I am taking some time off, so I am not sure how much I would want to be in doors. The beach at South Haven will be calling by then.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sounds great! Michaelskis, Tranplanner and I are your tour guides? Is there anything in particular you want to see? An architectural tour of Chicago, and a trip up to the top of the Hancock Tower are definitely some things to do.

I may even try to make the Toronto Laefest!

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
An architectural tour of Chicago, and a trip up to the top of the Hancock Tower are definitely some things to do.
You Rock! I have yet to be to the top of the Hancock building. Does anyone know if the Cubs are playing on that tuesday night? I think that we might need to get "Roof Top Seating" if they are. Also, I think that the foot print of the fort in the intersection of Wacker and Michigan and the corner stones for the bridge are cool things to see as well.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
That would be super cool 'cause I've been wondering how JNL is going to get from Chicago to Toronto ;)
If I get the rest of the weekend off, I was going to drive her there. (I would like to go to there too), but, if I am not able to make it, maybe one of you two could bring her???

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
michaelskis said:
If I get the rest of the weekend off, I was going to drive her there. (I would like to go to there too), but, if I am not able to make it, maybe one of you two could bring her???
If you can bring her to Cleveland or thereabouts, I'll take her to Toronto. I've got a guest bedroom at my house, and my parents in Buffalo also have extra bedrooms.

It might be a somewhat longer-than-normal border crossing, but since she's from a Commonwealth country, and the dogs won't be in the car, it won't be too bad.

JNL

Cyburbian
Around the world in 44 days

Well despite the best efforts of a nasty bug to keep me from my long-awaited trip (I've looked like this the last few days: :-# x| :-s :( :-# ), I'm on the mend and only 2 days to go till I fly out of (cold, wintery) NZ! Yay!!!!!! :-D

Those of you who would like personal email updates of my travels, PM me with your email address as I am updating my hotmail contacts list :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Well despite the best efforts of a nasty bug to keep me from my long-awaited trip (I've looked like this the last few days: :-# x| :-s :( :-# ), I'm on the mend and only 2 days to go till I fly out of (cold, wintery) NZ! Yay!!!!!! :-D

Those of you who would like personal email updates of my travels, PM me with your email address as I am updating my hotmail contacts list :)
With the pause in plans, I will wait here with Chicken Soup for when you fly in.