• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Mythical creatures in your neck of the woods (AIB the koala thread)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Okay, I'm making my off-topic discussion in Michele's koala thread into it's own thread (or at least spinning off of it). So while listening to Radio Outpost, a backpacker travel show, I was duped into believing that there was an actual bear called the 'drop bear' in Australia, which would drop from the trees and attack people/animals/whatever (was described to be an evil koala type bear).

In the Sierras/Cascades, we have the Sasquatch that people 'see' from time to time and in the Olympics in WA state, there is also the Thunderbird that lives in a cave high up in the mountains that starts avalanches to kill unsuspecting hunters.

What are the mythical creatures from the areas where you have lived or traveled?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Bigfoot/Sasquatch is NOT a mythical creature ;-)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Gedunker and I know all about the Jersey Devil,
which the NHL team was named after.

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Gedunker and I know all about the Jersey Devil,
and I am not talking about the NHL team.
I've heard of it, but I don't know much about it. Could you fill me in?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
nerudite said:
I've heard of it, but I don't know much about it. Could you fill me in?
The Legend of the Jersey Devil
The "Jersey Devil" is said to roam the New Jersey Pinelands and many people have told others of scary encounters on dark nights in the wilderness of the Pines. Its screams are said to be quite chilling to the spine.

The creature is believed to be the unwanted thirteenth child of Mother Leeds. According to those in the know, Mother Leeds, before the birth of her thirteenth child, declared that she wished the Devil would take the child away after it was born. At birth, the child suddenly changed into the ugliest of creatures and flew away into the vast darkness of the Pinelands. It is reported that the Jersey Devil inhabits the eery and misty wetland areas of the region, venturing out into the woodlands at night seeking humans to scare away with his piercing screams and grotesque appearance.

Many portray him with horns, a forked tail, and a body that is part man and mostly animal. The reason that there are so many versions of what he looks like may be because people are so scared by his ugliness when they see him that they run quickly to escape and don't get a really good look at his features.

Some in New Jersey now think that the Jersey Devil is the protector of the Pinelands, who will not harm any humans who love this special area and try to protect it. Perhaps he is not such a bad guy after all.

from the New Jersey Pinelands Commission: http://www.state.nj.us/pinelands/index.htm

mgk920

Cyburbian
I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to look like, but a couple of hours drive north of here, in the forests of far north central Wisconsin, is the home of the mythical creature called the 'Hodag'. B-) Interest is centered in the Rhinelander, WI area, which even names its high-school sports teams after it and has several annual civic festivals based on it.

Mike

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We have a couple in Wisconsin. One local one is the Goatman who inhabits the hilly region around Holy Hill in SE Wisconsin. One night some friends and I were drinking at a nearby bar and decided to drive around looking for the Goatman. Looking back it is a good thing the cops didn't find us!

Here is the story:

Goatman & Hogsback:
Where the Real Action Is
Kayla Gumm & Jenny Rayeske
The Nite Crier (Slinger High School)
October 2000
Nearly every resident in Washington County has heard the tale of "Goatman," a half-human, half-goat creature that resides along the perilous, hilly Hogsback road near Holy Hill. However, we'll go over some details of this rural legend for those of you who may not be familiar with this horrid beast.

Goatman sightings have been reported since the 1870s. According to Mr. Hayes, who is an expert on the history of the subject, a Civil War Veteran and his new bride were passing through Hogsback when an axle on the wagon broke. If legend stands correct, the man went off in search of a near-by farm for assistance, leaving his wife in the wagon alone. She fell asleep and slept until night had fallen. Then, she awoke to a frightening noise. Quickly she peered out of the wagon, only to see a beast of giant structure running from the scene. Its upper body took the shape of a man, except for the horns on its head and sharp fangs. The lower abdomen was that of a goat's, adorned with long, stringy red hair. Out of terror, she hid herself in the wagon for hours, until she heard a

drip

drip

drip

noise on the top of the canvas. Gathering up all of her courage, she peeked out of the wagon and looked up. There, she found her husband, hanging from a tree by a rope tied around his ankles. His throat had been slit, and the blood seeping from the gash was

dripping

onto the top of the wagon. Later, when the scene of the crime was investigated, the only clues found were that of several long, red hairs and hoof-like prints in the mud.

More recent incidents involve couples that travel by automobile to Hogsback to do a little "romancin'" by the light of the moon. Normally, just as things get hot and heavy, a noise is heard outside of the car, and the male gets out to investigate. Of course he doesn't come back, and the girl begins to hear the same dripping

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
Myths

There is supposedly a miner somewhere in the Superstition Mountains east of Phoenix, forever looking for a lost mine.

I think Lake Champlain is said to have a Loch Ness-type creature called Champ. Do you know more about that NHPlanner?

BKM

Cyburbian
The Creative Housing Developer. Definitely a mythical creature out here 8-!

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Maybe not so much of a creature, but we have Diana of the Dunes--supposedly wandering the Indiana Dunes (yes, we have them!) forever, looking for something (lost love/child/etc stories vary).

SGB

Cyburbian
giff57 said:
Bigfoot/Sasquatch is NOT a mythical creature ;-)
Real or not, it is now illegal to hunt Bigfoot in the Village of Whitehall, NY.

Apparently, their claim to fame as the birthplace of the United States Navy just doesn't bring in enough tourism dollars. B-)

MD Planner

Cyburbian
Lots of folks here in Maryland claim to have seen Chessie, in the Chesapeake Bay. I guess she's a cousin of the Loch Ness Monster.

Also I grew up about 10 miles from the site of the infamous Blair Witch.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Dragon said:
A Snipe is supposed to be a bird like animal that runs along the ground in the woods. It is a nocturnal animal that is frightened easily.

JNL

Cyburbian
The Mighty Taniwha!

In New Zealand we have the taniwha ("tuhn-i-fuh"), a legendary dragon-like monster from Maori mythology that usually lives near water, but sometimes in caves. Different areas have their own taniwhas.

Recently, a North Island roading project was modified to avoid disturbing a taniwha (water monster). In its original form, the roading project would have encroached on a swamp which is the home of a one-eyed taniwha, Karutahi. The local tribe, Ngati Naho, believes the taniwha spends half the year in the swamp. It has a second home in the Waikato River, to which it swims during floods. To ensure that the swamp is undisturbed, Transit New Zealand has altered its plans so that this historic site is preserved.

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
When I was younger, I lived in the middle of nowhere in Central Alabama. Every school kid was frightened of Bear Creek Swamp because of the stories of a panther like creature (as far as I can remember, the only difference between it and a real panther was a tail twice as long as normal) that would attack and kill anyone it saw. One night coming home we got a flat tire right in the middle of Bear Creek Swamp and I swear my little heart was going to pound itself right out my chest waiting for the spare tire to be put on. Someday I'll have to go back there and see if school children are still telling that same story.

B'lieve

Cyburbian
MDPlanner beat me to the Chessie reference. We also have a vaguely Jersey-Devil-like creature called a Snallygaster, and a few tall tales of a Bigfoot-type creature.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
My little corner of Wisconsin is filled with these sort of things. Whitewater is considered to be second only to Salem in witch activity, thanks to the Pratt Institute for the Study of the Occult, which operated here for nearly a century. Not far away, there is Aztalan STate Park.

"This place has been called one of the most spiritually-charged sacred centers in the world. The site consists of three earthen pyramids, burial grounds, a crematorium, and other earthworks that date from 1100 AD. The city was built by the mysterious Temple Mound Builders and was probably home to over 3,000 people. Two opposing religious factions, those who worshipped lunar energies and those who worshipped solar energies, engaged in a continuing battle here for two centuries. The male-dominated sun worshippers prevailed, and the site became desecrated with the bodies of human sacrifices to the Sun and scenes of ritual cannibalism. Nearby Rock Lake conceals an underwater necropolis of pyramid-shaped burial chambers that is still being excavated. Many unpleasant paranormal experiences have been reported by sensitive individuals in boats about 500 feet off shore."

What else about Rock Lake? The lake is said to have been made to cover up evidence of alien culture here on earth. It also has its own mysterious creature, Rocky. http://www.ufowisconsin.com/wfiles/files/lmrocklake.html

Lake Koshkonong was beleived by the Potowattomie to be inhabited by a creature. Others have seen serpents in Lake Geneva and Lake Kegonsa.

The Bluff Monster roams the forests just three miles east of my house. He has only been seen at night from a distance, but is described as furry with long claws. Nobody is sure if it has a snout, which is important if it is actually related to...

The Beast of Bray Road. This animal has been spotted at least three dozen times since the 1930's. It is described as "big, hairy and wolfish."

I am locking my doors tonight.