• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Naics

Tom R

Cyburbian
Where I worked previously in New Castle, Delaware, they list permitted uses by NAICS Codes (Formerly SIC Codes). Does anyone have a working knowledge of this or a similar system?

jordanb

Cyburbian
We use SIC and NAICS at my office (we're transitioning to NAICS slowly). What do you want to know about them?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Have you looked at this website:
http://www.census.gov/epcd/www/naics.html

available at this site are lists of 2002 NAICS codes (with links to definitions), 1997 NAICS codes, tables showing correspondence between NAICS 97 and SIC, tables showing correspondence between NAICS 97 and NAICS 02.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have never seen a system based on NAICS, but it would seem to be a good idea. NAICS covers every possible type of business. The drawbacks may be that it does not address the intensity of a use, or the actual function of a particular facility. One example I have seen is that a business is classified by its primary product. In this case, *** company was in plastics extrusion. The particular facility, however, was a sales office. It waas entirely appropriate in the residential neighborhood in which it was located, even though its NAICS code listed it as a manufacturing industry.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
The general provisions of our zoning ordinance stipulates that we refer to NAICS when a proposed use is not specifically listed in the ordinance.

Tom R

Cyburbian
NAICS

jordanb said:
We use SIC and NAICS at my office (we're transitioning to NAICS slowly). What do you want to know about them?
How well do they work in the real world?

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I'm with Richmond Jake on this one. I got tired of arguing over different uses that weren't listed in the ordinance, so I added the following to our ordinance;

"In interepreting the appropriateness of proposed uses, the North American Industry Classification System (U.S. 2002 ), or a comparable source, shall be used to determine similarity to delineated uses in the zoning districts."

SGB

Cyburbian
MD Planner said:
"In interepreting the appropriateness of proposed uses, the North American Industry Classification System (U.S. 2002 ), or a comparable source, shall be used to determine similarity to delineated uses in the zoning districts."
So, what's a comparable source? Just curious.....

MD Planner

Cyburbian
so what's a comparable source?
I guess we were just covering ourselves since when we did this the SIC Code had just changed to NAICS and we ddn't know what it would be called in the future.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I thought about using the code when revising our code, but I agree with Cardinal. The code does not address intensity of use. For instance, drive throughs are not permitted in our downtown district, but fine in highway commercial districts. By the code a bank, laundry, etc. have but one number.