• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Name that (ghost) Town

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Here's a new twist on the game.

Hint: Current population, none.

The city, and the route into it.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The town died not long after these became widespread. Coincidence? There are a few concrete or wooden sidewalks, but no paved roads within 15-20 miles.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Is it Bodie?>

Hwy 395 north of Bishop. :)
D'oh!

Too easy. I figured BKM would get it. I forgot you have the California background too.

Yes, it is Bodie, now a state historical park since 1962. The town was created when gold was discovered there in 1859. It once had over 10,000 inhabitants (all gone) and 2,000 buildings (mostly gone). Things began to come apart in 1892, when the red light district burned. A city can bear the loss of its churches and schools, but not its prostitutes.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
If you are nearby, it is definitely worth the trip.

I think it is your turn, Nerudite.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I think I had an advantage over BKM since I grew in Cali... (that and I'm an hour ahead of him, so I get to snipe his answers ;) ).This was a great place to check out when you needed a break during a road trip, so I've been there a few times.

The town is technically inhabited by Park Rangers now. They live there year-round. But that's it...

It's a beautiful ghost town that is fairly accessible near Lee Vining. If you ever go to Mammoth or travel north from Death Valley to Lake Tahoe/Reno, you'll pass right through the area. :)

BKM

Cyburbian
I would have said Bodie, but you'all beat me to it :)

I have to admit I was a little disappointed in Bodie.

Why?

Because it was crawling with people trying to do exactly what I came to do-photograph the cool (arrested decay) ruins. The Park Service even sponsors CLASSES on photographic technique.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
BKM said:
I have to admit I was a little disappointed in Bodie.

Why?

Because it was crawling with people trying to do exactly what I came to do-photograph the cool (arrested decay) ruins.
I agree that there were too many people. It somewhat took away from the "ghost town" atmosphere. I was there on a somewhat cold weekday in October, and there were about 15-20 cars in the lot. On the other hand, there is more left in Bodie than in any other ghost town I have seen, and it is the only one with a large amount of furnishings in the buildings. I was amazed at some of what was left - pool tables, bars, furniture, etc.