• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Name That Hair Band

plannerkat

Cyburbian
I'm so embarrassed about this guess...WHITE LION (I'll be even more embarrassed if it's right!).

Budgie

Cyburbian
I think White Lion is correct.

Skinny Puppy? Have you ever heard skinny puppy? Skinny Puppy is techno rave.

Jeff

Cyburbian
No thats not White Lion ... I don't think. The dude on the far right looks so familiar....

Skid Row?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
plannerkat said:
I'm so embarrassed about this guess...WHITE LION (I'll be even more embarrassed if it's right!).
Don't worry we're all embarrassed about knowing that you're right.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
No thats not White Lion ... I don't think. The dude on the far right looks so familiar....
Probably because he's now a waiter or valet parking guy in Philly.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
My only consolation is that I quickly shifted out of my hair band phase and into my punk rock/alt. rock stage in 1988, or just after these guys had their 2 hits. I saw the light of Sonic Youth, Jane's Addiction and Fetchin' Bones...

green lizard

Budgie said:
I think White Lion is correct.

Skinny Puppy? Have you ever heard skinny puppy? Skinny Puppy is techno rave.
No, wasent there a Skinny Puppy hair band in the
early 80's? Mabye I got the name wrong... I must
be going senile.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
green lizard said:
No, wasent there a Skinny Puppy hair band in the
early 80's? Mabye I got the name wrong... I must
be going senile.
Are you thinking of Thin Lizzy?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Definitely NOT Skinny Puppy. I had their 'Vivisection' CD and it definitely was not hair.

This is Skinny Puppy

Jeff

Cyburbian
Skinny Puppy still rocks out in my stereo every 12 months or so. You just gotta love vintage 1991 angry music....

Ministry is another good one.

green lizard

Mike D. said:
Skinny Puppy still rocks out in my stereo every 12 months or so. You just gotta love vintage 1991 angry music....

Ministry is another good one.
Mabye I got my eras mixed... I remember Ministry.
How about New Model Army?

BKM

Cyburbian
New Model Army are more angry British punk rockers, not really industrial at all. Very political.

Has anyone ever listened to Neurosis out of San Francisco?

And, I believe Skinny Puppy alums helped create one of my favorite bizarro bands of all time, the Legendary Pink Dots.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
I have to laugh reading this thread....

My wife went to a Whitesnake/Warrent/Skid Row/Kip Winger concert a few weeks ago. :p

ecofem

Cyburbian
Ministry is/was such a weird band...

the sound and style difference between "With Sympathy" and "Land of Rape and Honey" was so drastic in such a (relatively) short period of time.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
I have to laugh reading this thread....

My wife went to a Whitesnake/Winger/Skid Row/Kip Winger concert a few weeks ago. :p
I don't care what anyone else may say... you wife is cool.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I don't care what anyone else may say... you wife is cool.
It was a spur of the moment thing....a friend had free luxury box tix....she honestly didn't know any of the songs except Cherry Pie. lol

Repo Man

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Has anyone ever listened to Neurosis out of San Francisco?
I think they are ok. I like their more recent stuff, like "Enemy of The Sun" better than the earlier stuff. I like the use of samples and keyboards, kind of gives off a Skinny Puppy vibe. I have seen Neurosis twice and they do put on a great show.

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
Uhhh... Bonhomme? don't think I spelled that right, but please let me be wrong.

No list of late 80's early 90's angry techno bands is complete w/o "My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult" and MTV sellouts "Nine Inch Nails"

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Me too! Can we play name that new wave or punk band instead? ;) I never followed the heavy metal hair bands, unless you count Spinal Tap.

Budgie

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
That would be Tigertailz
Wow !!!! Slave, honestly did you use google to figure that one out? Tigertailz it is. Ace Finchum lived down the street in Lakenheath, England from where I lived and we were frequently at the same pub, shooting the sxxt.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Wow !!!! Slave, honestly did you use google to figure that one out? Tigertailz it is. Ace Finchum lived down the street in Lakenheath, England from where I lived and we were frequently at the same pub, shooting the sxxt.
The image I have of one of those guys in a British pub full of gray derby hats is pretty funny. :)

martini

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
Sonic Youth:

they rock
Yep, listening to Daydream Nation as I type this! This has been on my constant play list for about 8 years now. Its just that good!

martini

Cyburbian
Howard Roark said:
Uhhh... Bonhomme? don't think I spelled that right, but please let me be wrong.

No list of late 80's early 90's angry techno bands is complete w/o "My Life with the Thrill Kill Cult" and MTV sellouts "Nine Inch Nails"
Is this the saem HR that was on MTBR? Nice avatar btw.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
They looked vary familiar and it took me awhile to remember. I was into the hair bands, nwobhm, and about six months of the new wave scene.

BKM

Cyburbian
Yep, listening to Daydream Nation as I type this! This has been on my constant play list for about 8 years now. Its just that good!
Daydream Nation is probably my favorite. Gotta dig it out of my cd collection again.

Since we're in obscure heavier late 80s/early 90s bands-how about Killing Joke. A little preachy, but some great albums.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Mud Princess said:
Me too! Can we play name that new wave or punk band instead? ;) I never followed the heavy metal hair bands, unless you count Spinal Tap.
Here you go Mud Princess.

The Irish One

I am really into Washing Machine and if you do not own Psychic Hearts by Thurston Moore drop what you're doing and get that masterpiece right this second. I can't say enough of how perfect an alternative-punkish-rock-Sonic bada boom this album is. IT ROCKS If you like the youths you will love this cd. It's only Thurston and the Youth drummer

One more time

Artist: Thurston Moore

Album: Psychic Hearts

Take a listen

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003TBK/ref=m_art_li_1/104-1966282-1009543?v=glance&s=music

martini

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:

Artist: Thurston Moore

Album: Psychic Hearts

Good call! I'll have to pick that one up soon. I've got like 30 CD's on 'must buy' list though....gotta get a real job soon or this list is gonna kill me!

BKM

Cyburbian
I like Washing Machine, too (Couldn't think of the album's name before). A great album.

I tend to like their longer, more introspective, "softer" songs the best.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
I'm stumped! Thought of maybe Japan or Ultravox but it's not them. I can't think of any 3-piece synth (?) bands.

Any hints? ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SlaveToTheGrind said:
They remind me of Cause & Effect after their lead singer dies on stage and they re-formed. But they werent punk. HMM