• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Name that place!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
More specific than name that city! Pick a "place" for others to identify. A college, tourist attraction, natural wonder, world-famous restaurant, etc.

If I can get this pic to download, it is a college in New England with a tradition known as "Mountain Day".

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Elmira College.

You forget the *power* of Google!

BEWWWHAAAAHAAAAHHAA!

A quote from their web page:

"Dean Anstice Harris instituted the Mountain Day tradition at Elmira College in October of 1918. The day is not a designated holiday, but rather a day in which classes are cancelled allowing students, faculty, and administrators to relate to each other in memorable and less formal ways. To persuade the President to grant Mountain Day, students gather during a period of several nights in front of the President’s Home singing various Mountain Day songs."

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
bturk said:
Elmira College.

You forget the *power* of Google!

BEWWWHAAAAHAAAAHHAA!

A quote from their web page:

"Dean Anstice Harris instituted the Mountain Day tradition at Elmira College in October of 1918. The day is not a designated holiday, but rather a day in which classes are cancelled allowing students, faculty, and administrators to relate to each other in memorable and less formal ways. To persuade the President to grant Mountain Day, students gather during a period of several nights in front of the President’s Home singing various Mountain Day songs."
Whoops. Nope. Wrong state, entirely...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mount Holyoke College

Damn who knew there were Soooo many Mountian Days

(BTW -- where Mike D went to school, it was "Mountain Daze")

From the Holyoke website:

"The fall holiday dates back to 1838, only one year after Mount Holyoke Seminary opened! The tradition, believed to be unique to Mount Holyoke and Smith College (which adopted it in the 1870s), was interrupted only by the Civil War and an on-campus fire. Even during World War II, students took to the great outdoors during Mountain Day, though in those years many picked apples or potatoes to help farmers cope with the wartime shortage of laborers. "

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Yes, it's Mt Holyoke; I spent my first 3 years of college there, then transferred to U of FL. I'm surprised that the Mountain Day reference would identify it!

So, what's the other one?? If you've been to Central FL in the last 30 years, you should know this!

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
BTW, even tho it was "Mountain Day", we used to go to Quabbin Reservior, a man-made lake which included at least one flooded-over town. Kind of creepy at the time, but maybe an indicator of my future as a planner.