• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Name your fantasy Rock Band name.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Poof! - You now have loads of musical talent and a promising music career. What is the name of your band and what genre do they express?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
My band in high school:

Suburban Serbians

(a.k.a subserbs)

'80's techno pop fused with industrial

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Stupid Lisa Garbageface (an obscure Simpsons refrence)

It would be a punk-indie band and we would rock!

When I was in High School, we had a couple of short lived punk bands. "The Vomiting Barracudas," "Becuz" and "Disturbed" (which is now taken by some lame new metal band.) Ok they weren't actually bands, but a group of friends in a basement attempting to cover punk songs with no musical talent whatsoever.

nerudite

Cyburbian
How about the Trailer Park Twisters?

Just kidding...

I would really name it "flibbertigibbet", which is what my mom used to call me when I would talk too much as a kid. I've been in a band before, it was along the same musical lines as radiohead.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Breast Meat

If I had any talent, I would be in a punk band called Breast Meat. Our first album corver would be a spoof on a Banquet brand box of frozen chicken patties. Ate those things for lunch all the time while in college.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The Seabishops - seriously, thats where the name comes from.

Its a long, nerdy story, but for a Lit. class in college I had to do research into pirate and sailors' myths for a paper - one of the things I found was the Seabishop which was this sea creature that looked like a human but with scales, a pointy head like a bishops hat, and a cape. My (future) Brother in Law and I thought it would be funny if a bunch of these guys formed an 80's metal band. We even wrote a theme song - "We're the Seabishops, we're coming to rock , yeah we're the Seabishops, yeah we'll never stop!"

Since then we have this imaginary rock band going with other honorary members. I really am a frustrated musician with no time for anything musical with 2 little ones.

This is what they look like.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I like EcoFem's Suburban Legend ... I think I'lll steal the name! Cul-De-Sac Jesus has potential.

However, for lack of a better name, I'll pick Patchouli.

Jam band, of course, but not as Phish-ish or Dead-ish ... maybe more of a Dave Matthews edge, with a female vocalist as a twist. Tons of damn takin'-a-year-off-of-college trust fund babies follow us around the country. Half of the time we're on stage, we're tuning up, but folks in the audience think that's part of the act. Over 250 concertgoers were arrested at the Burlington, Vermont concert for posession.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Dan said:
I like EcoFem's Suburban Legend ... I think I'lll steal the name! Cul-De-Sac Jesus has potential.

However, for lack of a better name, I'll pick Patchouli.

Jam band, of course, but not as Phish-ish or Dead-ish ... maybe more of a Dave Matthews edge, with a female vocalist as a twist. Tons of damn takin'-a-year-off-of-college trust fund babies follow us around the country. Half of the time we're on stage, we're tuning up, but folks in the audience think that's part of the act. Over 250 concertgoers were arrested at the Burlington, Vermont concert for posession.
I think you just described the Dandy Warhols. :)

What kind of music would the Poohsassins play? Sick and demented twists on children's music (some of which is already sick and demented).

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Planderella said:
What kind of music would the Poohsassins play? Sick and demented twists on children's music (some of which is already sick and demented).
Think Dead Milkmen with banjos.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
hey now i dont LOVE Pooh, i just love Pooh

hey how about the planners uniform, 80's music and we call ourselves "smarth growth" hehe

ok my jokes suck

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Nothing planning related, but a couple of friends and I thought a cool band name would be either Hopped up on Goofballs or Wacky on the Junk. We ended up using both as names for Intramural teams.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Raffi on acid.

donk

Cyburbian
Expanding on the planner theme, how about HI Zone (Heavy Industrial Zone).

The music of course would have to be blue grass.

donk

Cyburbian
What kind of music would the Poohsassins play?

Or how about a goth version of Sharon Lois and Bram?

I was just talking to my brother last night, and something about bitter and spiteful came up, and i thought that'd be a great band name.

Bitter and Spite - Hole (from 1996, not 2000) meets the Go Gos - I'd be lead singer.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Some good militant New Urbanist band names could be:

Robert Moses’ Body

Jimmy Can't Walk to School

the Bloody Pedestrians

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I can't think of any good ones today. Best I could come up with was "Modal Split".

I have no idea what they'd play.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
How about an 80s hair metal band called "Zoned for Business"

Or a Devo-type band called "The Segways" They could make a film like the Who's Quadrophenia, where these vigilante planners ride around on Segways.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I was thinking of "The Segways" too - but I was trying to make it into something like the "Segway Surfers"...

Anyone for S Clube 7?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Red for Commercial

Our first big hits will be "The Colors of the Zoning Map" and "Living in a New Urbanist Neighborhood," which are both songs from Disney's new animated classic Duany.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
oh my god thats funny and they need to say DPZ over and over in the back ground!

hehe i wonder if anyone from DPZ ever reads these and realizes what their fellow planners think of them??

donk

Cyburbian
EG could always inform them.

Other song titles from the New Urbanist Album could be:

Not just for rich folks, a punk rebellion song that speaks to affordability.

Sitting on the Porch, a polka

Work From Home, a techno mix

Only child in a neighbourhood full of DINKS - a nursery ryme type song.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
Red for Commercial

Our first big hits will be "The Colors of the Zoning Map" and "Living in a New Urbanist Neighborhood," which are both songs from Disney's new animated classic Duany.
Thanks Mike, the Diet Coke is now eating awat at my sinus cavity.

nerudite

Cyburbian
bturk said:

I think you just described the Dandy Warhols. :)
I love the Dandy Warhols... well until the car commercials started using their music. grrrrrr.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Other planning names:

Charrette Catastrophe
The Nonconforming Structures
Sunset Clause
The NIMBYs
Downzone
LOS F
Species of Concern

.... there are oh so many!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
We 'da terrorists! (the SUV drivers rap band :D)

Featured songs:
-Down wit' Saddam
-Bring on 'da oil!
- And the smash hit: Oops we ****'d up wit' Saddam again!

:D ;) :p

el Guapo

Capitalist
SkeLeton said:
We 'da terrorists! (the SUV drivers rap band :D)

Featured songs:
-Down wit' Saddam
-Bring on 'da oil!
- And the smash hit: Oops we ****'d up wit' Saddam again!

:D ;) :p
Now that was funny. :) On a similar tone you could re-do the Chris Isaac song into "I Bought a Big Big Car".

The Irish One

Disciples of The Dear Leader

Smash hits include:

The Loving Smile
Our Comrade Kim Jong Il
We pledge Kim Il Sung!
Generalisimo Kim Il Sung is with us forever
Long Live Generalissimo
No Motherland without You
We are Glad
My Father
My Country is the Best
I will be Your Son forever
The Dear Name
My Love,My Happiness
Red Flag
Urban Girl come to get married

these songs are real! The name I made in his most glorious honor inpires me

prudence

Cyburbian
Band names....hmmm...

Let's see:

The Jamesons (wait, we're using that one now...)
Blindly Stepping Forward
Say Hello
My Cousin Andy

All Del Amitri, Connells, James type of music...

Other planning bands:

The Euclid Amblers (actually our grad school championship winning intramural soccer team)
Psychadelic Amortization Funk
Jimmy and the Revitilizers
Sidewalks to Nowhere

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
Red for Commercial

OT: Duany is speaking at the conference I'm attending this weekend. I just might have to f*** with him. ;)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I'll prolly be hungover, if not still drunk. How much $ will you give me to puke on his shoes?

donk

Cyburbian
As long as the tirade starts, "I represent a large constituency of disgruntled planners, we cyburbanites ...."

Puking on shoes is a bonus.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
lol right before you toss your dinner tell him thats what we think of his NU areas

*bad PG back in her corner*

donk

Cyburbian
Here is the opening line.

I realize that you are a visual person and that your codes tend to visually represent the desired form of development. Here is a visual expression of what I think of your development....

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I realisshhh that y'er a vizshwual pershun *stagger* an dat yer codesh tend tooooo vizshewually rep'sent th deshired form ovvvv devel'ment. Heresshh a visual expression of what I think of your development.... *blarg*