• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Nasty foods

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Me and Emu

That s*it is NASTY. S took me out to dinner last night, wanted to make me feel better and get my energy level back up. Took me to "Bilbo Baggins" in old town Alexandria. Nice place and you did feel like you were ina hobbit hole-the ceilings are low etc.

I'm pretty into trying new stuff and I saw "emu" on the menu and had to try it-im game! S looked at me like I had 3 heads. he does this when I try something he things is out of the ordinary though he admires my ability to try new things.

The...meal came, mine looked yummy, smelled odd but looked yummy. boy was I WRONG WRONG WRONG. I thought I was gonna loose my cookies with the first bite! S looked at me funny and asked how my meal was, I choked down the bite and drank some water (ok a lot of water) and said it was "different" and tried some of the veggies-they ROCKED!

I figured maybe it was something that had to grow on you and I had a big plate heaped with this-dead bird, so I ate another smaller bite. oh my god it was worse. I told S at this point that it was "gamey" but unique, not like anything I had ever eaten before. I was not lying-it tasted like I was eating the backside out of a running unwashed hippo.

we are talking more gamey than a deer that has been run. ok take the slight gamey taste of rabbit and magnify it oh 500x *im not kidding* and that is Emu.

I was soo hungry (being under the weather makes me hungry) so I ate all the shroomies and other veggies but I could not force myself to eat all the...nasty stuff. I felt so bad, I could not tell S how bad it was.

but im telling you DO NOT EAT EMU-GROSS

So what foods do you find NASTY

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Thanks for the emu heads up.

I think soy nuts are the most disgusting snack food ever. Liver looks pretty gross...I have never had it though. Cauliflower is horrible. I am also not a fan of ham. I don't mind ham if it is thinly sliced on a sandwich, but when you have your "Easter" ham with the cloves sticking out of it....bleeeech.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I don't like olives. Well, except in a martini I guess. Though I don't really drink those.

The only thing I can think of that has grossed me out recently were some deep fried little smelt-like fish I had in a chinese restaurant. Tasted awful - none of us at the table could stomach them.

Oh, and tripe is absolutely disgusting.

Louisiana has a real bad nutria (looks like a cross between a rat, squirrel and beaver) problem so many chefs have decided to get inventive by turning them into a delicacy. No thank you!!!!

Jen

Cyburbian
I love liver and onions! Anchovies too!

Egads PG! if that made you retch that bird was past its prime of freshness, can't imagin emu being a big seller. Whats your guess how long ago it had been killed?

But my worst food combination is that cold creamy fruit salad with maraschino cherries and little marshmellows, like what's served at a church ladys luncheon. Oh that and also those oversized jars of pickled animal byproducts found in local taverns. And Pickled eggs?Who eats that stuff?

boiker

Cyburbian
i just ate refried black beans w/ lettuce/cheese/ etc for lunch :)

i'm not going to make any friends today :)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
I have no idea how long it had been dead-it was not still making emu sounds when it came to me. shrugs, all i know is that i had to get up at 2 points in the night to wash out my mouth AGAIN to try to rid myself of that taste.

kms

Cyburbian
Yuck - remember the Mad About You episode where they ate ostrich for supper and had crazy, bad dreams all night?

I don't like fish very much and can't stand it when my husband and daughter prepare it and I can smell it in the kitchen the next day.

I also avoid cauliflower.

Artichoke Hearts.

Any piece of a vegetable named after an animal internal organ is bad news, in my opinion.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
TexasPlanner said:
I refuse to eat salmon and brussell sprouts.
Brussell sprouts I'll agree with....but salmon is yummy!!!

To the nasty list: sour cream, olives, and asparagus.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I hate when people serve yams with marshmallows on top. Actually, I hate when people serve yams, period! I also don't like that gelatanous cranberry stuff that is served at thanksgiving, yet I love cranberry juice. Seven layer salad is another gross food.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Andy Dobson said:
Artichoke Hearts.

Any piece of a vegetable named after an animal internal organ is bad news, in my opinion.
Artichoke hearts.....ahhhhhhggghhh

*Homer Simpson Drool Thing*

As for my really nasty list:

Limberger (sp?) cheese
Gifelta Fish
Pigs Feet
Mackrel
Smoked Mackrel
Pickeled Mackrel
Peppered Mackrel
Chocolate-covred sticks o' butter (don't ask)
Butter Burgers from Milwaukee (never had one, just imagining)...

Pretty much anything in the "International Foods" aisles at the grocery store.

During "Hell Week" for the fraternity we had "Yummy Night" simply the grossest thing you could ever experience.

NHPlanner

Staff member
PlannerGirl said:
so has no one else had Emu to tell me if i had bad Emu or if its just NASTY
Can't help you there D....I have no desire to expand my culinary world to emu. :)

jmf

Cyburbian
I like most things and will try most anything once (OK, get your minds out of the gutter) but things I haven't learned to like/tolerate are: hotdogs; parsnips; sweet potatoes, oyster stew (smoked oysters are OK); smoked haddock (the yellow kind cooked in milk, blech!), tripe, tongue. I can't think on anything else right now.

I love caulifower. My iron deficient body loves liver.

I'm not crazy about peach flavoured drinks but that is more a result of over-indulgence (peach schnapps, vodka and peach jiuce, peach wine cooler, it came in 2 litre bottles when I was in university).

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Mike DeVuono said:

Butter Burgers from Milwaukee (never had one, just imagining)...
Someone has to hook Mike up with a butter burger. It won't be on your bad food list for long.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Im with ya on the hotdogs-they were my fav food till i had to go to a byproduct processing plant that was right beside a hotdog factory

oh my god the smell was...lets just say its worse than Emu. Hotdogs are made from things that are not fitting to talk about in mixed company not to mention anyone who might want to eat in the next week.

now sweet potatoes (sp?) ROCK-i love em to death, even with the little marshmellows

Planderella said:
Louisiana has a real bad nutria (looks like a cross between a rat, squirrel and beaver) problem so many chefs have decided to get inventive by turning them into a delicacy. No thank you!!!!
OT - The Daily Show did a big feature story on the Nutria that had me almost peeing my pants a couple weeks ago. Ed Helms was the correspondent and he was talking about how there is always so much focus on "Environmental Disaster" stories and endangered species, he wanted to do an "Environmental Sucess Story: The Nutria".

"Next time an enviro-freak talks about the poor whales, remind them that swamp rats are breeding at an all time high! "

Habanero

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

OT - The Daily Show did a big feature story on the Nutria that had me almost peeing my pants a couple weeks ago. Ed Helms was the correspondent and he was talking about how there is always so much focus on "Environmental Disaster" stories and endangered species, he wanted to do an "Environmental Sucess Story: The Nutria".

"Next time an enviro-freak talks about the poor whales, remind them that swamp rats are breeding at an all time high! "
Did anyone watch Dave Attel when he was in Lousiana and went nutria hunting? He was sitting in the back of a pickup driving around shooting them, quite funny.

Oh, and I'll eat about anything, but i don't like fishy fish at all. Haddock, Whitefish, Clams/Scallops/Shrimp/Lobster are the only seafood I like.
And I was once served noodles in peanut sauce that i could barely choke down at a friend's house.

TexasPlanner said:

Did anyone watch Dave Attel when he was in Lousiana and went nutria hunting? He was sitting in the back of a pickup driving around shooting them, quite funny.
I saw Dave Attel for the first time while I was "on sabbatical" - very funny.

KMateja said:

Dang....I missed it!

PlannerGirl said:
Im with ya on the hotdogs-they were my fav food till i had to go to a byproduct processing plant that was right beside a hotdog factory

I also hated hot dogs for the longest time but not necessarily for those reasons. When I was about 11, I found one of my big brother's smut magazines where there was this woman holding a hot dog right in front of her open mouth. I looked closer to discover that it was a REAL weiner ;) inside of a hot dog bun with mustard, ketchup and relish on top. I never touched another hot dog again until I was well into my 20's and still are quite wary of them. LOL

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Planderella said:

I also hated hot dogs for the longest time but not necessarily for those reasons. When I was about 11, I found one of my big brother's smut magazines where there was this woman holding a hot dog right in front of her open mouth. I looked closer to discover that it was a REAL weiner ;) inside of a hot dog bun with mustard, ketchup and relish on top. I never touched another hot dog again until I was well into my 20's and still are quite wary of them. LOL
I think we should split this post inot its own thread, and develop "alternate story endings" for Planderella! ;)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: I love liver and onions! Anchovies too!

Jen said:
Oh that and also those oversized jars of pickled animal byproducts found in local taverns. And Pickled eggs?Who eats that stuff?
Reeeeeally drunk people....

Seabishop

Cyburbian
EGGS are disgusting. No matter how you cook 'em they look, smell and taste awful. I know they're an ingredient in just about everything, but I could never just eat one. I find it very annoying when restaurants put them on salads.

Salmon is wicked awesome.

NHPlanner

Staff member
Seabishop said:
You definitely are a New Englander, Seabishop. :) I'm still struggling to get "wicked" out of my vocabulary. I got a lot of very weird looks when I was in college whenever I said it.

Seabishop said:
EGGS are disgusting. No matter how you cook 'em they look, smell and taste awful. I know they're an ingredient in just about everything, but I could never just eat one. I find it very annoying when restaurants put them on salads.

Sorry, I LOVE eggs. Breakfast is my favorite meal - omelettes, over easy, scrambled, hardboiled. sigh. i'm getting giddy just thinking about all my favorite ways to eat eggs. i even like my grandma's sulpher well water, because it smells like eggs. yes. i know thats gross.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
How about the stuff they eat on Fear Factor?

Anyone see the "bobbing in blood" episode?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
KMateja said:

Sorry, I LOVE eggs. Breakfast is my favorite meal - omelettes, over easy, scrambled, hardboiled. sigh. i'm getting giddy just thinking about all my favorite ways to eat eggs.
Deviled... Mmmm... And WOW do they give me the winds!

Habanero

Cyburbian
Salmon is disgusting, it's gross and downright nastified.. really I can't eat any fish unless it doesn't look like it just came off a fish. I just picture those big unknowing eyes and scales.. and then *blam* head gets cut off! I can just see the poor fish flopping around and I can't eat it. I can't even go by the fish in the market that still have their heads on- they stare at me.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
I had never heard of them until today. Now that I looked them up on the internet, I can't help but wonder who would eat one of these??

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm allergic to peppers (bell type peppers that is... jalapenos seeme to be okay), so I avoid them... even the smell gets me sick.

Otherwise, I don't like ham, tomatoes, onions (raw), etc. I like most of the things people hate: liver (beef or chicken), brussels sprouts, etc.

The #1 most disgusting concoction on the face of the earth (that I've tried at least) is poutine. Ewwwwwwww!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
What is that? Cream Cheese and gravy on fries?

...hey I've reached 600 posts! 400 more til the clube!

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
jtfortin said:
I forgot Canned Corn Beef Hash. It tastes so salty...and disgusting.
Fry that stuff up, crack a couple of eggs on it and stir....fry untill eggs are done...now that's breakfast

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm a picky eater. It's difficult to describes my likes and dislikes, only that it's really more texture-related than taste-related. There's also absolutely no logic in my preferences. I get VERY frustrated when I get the "so, what do you like?" quiz.

Anyhow, I'll second the vote for eggs. Just seeing a bitten hard-boiled egg kicks in the gag reflex. Don't know why.

Last week, in a restaurant near work, I got this huge yellow blob of some sort as a garnish of some sort with the burger I ordered for lunch. I have no idea what it was, but it looked gross as hell. I've bever seen anything like it, maybe it's some local Kansas delicacy or something. I couldn't even look at it when I was eating; I had to move the plate it was sitting on to another booth.

Buffalo's local cuisine isn't just limited to chicken wings. There's all sorts of local delicacies, like beef on weck, butter lamb, Buffalo-style pizza, Texas hots, and some consumables that are much, much nastier.

First, loganberry pop.

Second ... and I don't have a picture ... duck's blood soup. Yes, it's soup. Yes, it's made from duck's blood.

nerudite

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:
What is that? Cream Cheese and gravy on fries?

...hey I've reached 600 posts! 400 more til the clube!
Close... it's cheese curd and brown greasy gravy on fries. It's yucky.

jmf

Cyburbian
nerudite said:

Close... it's cheese curd and brown greasy gravy on fries. It's yucky.
Sacrilege

Remove her from the country NOW!

I would love some Poutine right now but I've gone off french fries and gravy for a while. I could never give up cheese, ever.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I don't think I had ever had Poutine until I met my wife. I have learned to love it but like jmf, I'm going without (for now).

My parent's neighbors have an emu on their farm - its pretty cool - it makes a noise deep in its throat that sounds like someone beating on an African drum.

As for poutine - i've never had it, but it sounds sooooo good. I LOVE fries with gravy and i LOVE cheese curds (one of my favorite things about wisconsin - deep fried cheese curds.)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:

You definitely are a New Englander, Seabishop. :) I'm still struggling to get "wicked" out of my vocabulary. I got a lot of very weird looks when I was in college whenever I said it.
In real life I actually never said wicked. I grew up in the city where that word was forbidden - I would have said "Man, that salmon is baaaaad!" I thought it was funny when my suburban, hockey-playing cousin said wicked. My wife still says it though.