• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Nasty foods

Seabishop said:

In real life I actually never said wicked. I grew up in the city where that word was forbidden - I would have said "Man, that salmon is baaaaad!" I thought it was funny when my suburban, hockey-playing cousin said wicked. My wife still says it though.

We all said wicked in rural central NY, also.

Planderella

Cyburbian
jtfortin said:

I had never heard of them until today. Now that I looked them up on the internet, I can't help but wonder who would eat one of these??

nutria.jpg

Not only are they being eaten, some enterprising entrepreneurs are making coats and accessories out of the fur.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dan said:
...maybe it's some local Kansas delicacy or something. I couldn't even look at it when I was eating; I had to move the plate it was sitting on to another booth....

The only native Kansas delicacy that I know of would be mountain oysters.

Dan, was that what we Kansans call "Potato Salad" that threw you for a loop?

el Guapo

Capitalist
DAIRY

I can eat bugs, slugs, pond scum and most unrecognizable animal parts, but I have serious dairy issues from a near dairy-death experience in West Africa many years ago. I cohabitate with a woman who believes that every dish should have some dairy in it. "Hey, let’s shove some warm plain yogurt in that dish." There is such a thing a too much Indian food. The more it looks like warm yellow yak yogurt the more likely I am to fear it.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
You know me El Guapo -- I'll put just about anything in my mouth.

el Guapo

Capitalist
bturk said:
You know me El Guapo -- I'll put just about anything in my mouth.

I say again "The more it looks like warm yellow yak yogurt the more likely I am to fear it." ;)

Yes, it was far too easy, but I think it was Brian's way of getting a slow Friday morning moving. And I thank him for the effort and look forward to listening to some FGH on the way home tonight...

Jen

Cyburbian
I cohabitate with a woman who believes that every dish should have some dairy in it. "Hey, let’s shove some warm plain yogurt in that dish."

Plain yogurt is a staple in my house! I prefer it over sour cream, I even put it on tacos and nobody notices the difference!

nerudite

Cyburbian
jmf said:

Sacrilege

Remove her from the country NOW!

I would love some Poutine right now but I've gone off french fries and gravy for a while. I could never give up cheese, ever.

LOL... I know... I get hassled for this a lot. I think it's mostly because I really really really don't like brown gravy and that's all you have up here.

But you guys have better chocolate bars up here.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
nerudite said:

I think it's mostly because I really really really don't like brown gravy and that's all you have up here.

Uh...there are other colours of gravy? I thought they were all brown.

But you guys have better chocolate bars up here.

That's for sure!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
KMateja said:
Chicken/Turkey gravy as opposed to beef. i also prefer turkey gravy

Okay - yeah, that is available in Canada. And yes, you can make Poutine with it just as easily.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Lovely Spam! Wonderful Spam!

I'm having Spam Spam Spam Eggs Spam Spam Chips and Spam!

I've always been horrified by anchovies. When we were kids my dad used to crack open a tin and revoltingly eat the whole thing, crunching their little bones (or so we thought we could hear) and then chase us around the house, breathing his nasty anchovy breath on us. blargh.

I do the same thing to my family. I slip sardines into recipes just to force them to eat them. I put them on pizza too!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
KMateja said:
I've always been horrified by anchovies. When we were kids my dad used to crack open a tin and revoltingly eat the whole thing, crunching their little bones (or so we thought we could hear) and then chase us around the house, breathing his nasty anchovy breath on us. blargh.

Around here, the "Smelters" go out every winter and net Smelt them off the breakwaters. They call it "smelting". I think its disgusting.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
bturk said:

Around here, the "Smelters" go out every winter and net Smelt them off the breakwaters. They call it "smelting". I think its disgusting.

Its like eating minnows.

KMateja said:

I meants sardines. sorry.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
KMateja said:

The consulting firm that I worked for made every new employee eat an anchovy at the in-house Christmas party. Luckily I had a few beers in me when I had to do it. It was disgusting.

el Guapo

Capitalist
KMateja said:

I do the same thing to my family. I slip anchovies into recipes just to force them to eat them. I put them on pizza too!

plannerkat

Cyburbian
El Guapo said:

I do the same thing to my family. I slip anchovies into recipes just to force them to eat them. I put them on pizza too!

Little salty purple fish...YUM! I also love olives, artichoke hearts, brussels sprouts, and many other foods that make others gag. Pickles on the other hand are generally revolting, as is my husband's tendency to put ketchup on everything.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:

Okay - yeah, that is available in Canada. And yes, you can make Poutine with it just as easily.

No... not even the turkey gravy you have up here. I mean *real* gravy. Like the kind you make with a nice roux and then add giblets and drippings and lots of fresh ground pepper. Thick and chunky... good on biscuits. That kind of gravy. Just can't get it here... so I usually just make it myself but it's quite a process. I've converted my bf... but the kids are totally grossed out by the giblets and won't touch it.

Jen

Cyburbian
Oh yeah that one sounds good, glad chuck agrees to let one use frozen veggies, cuz aren't artichokes dangerous to handle? lol

donk

Cyburbian
PG,

With your conversion coming, you probably won't have to worry about ever eating emu again, it is probably not kosher. If ostrich is not I would expect emu to not be also.

(EDIT) Found a reference

With specific respect to poultry, the traditional domestic birds, i.e., chicken, turkey, squab, duck, and goose are kosher. Birds in the rattrie category (ostrich, emu, and rhea) are definitely not kosher as the ostrich is specifically mentioned in the Bible .

(/EDIT)

As for kosher hot dogs, they should contain a better quality of meat then normal hot dogs.

As for foods i find gross

1) While I like the way it tastes, can't stand the smell cooking - moose and elk.

2) Sardines/anchovies

3) agree on the smelt, why eat bait and have to pick all of the bones out of your teeth and throat. Smelt fries are a big fund raiser around here.

4) Goose and duck. way too gamey

Last edited:

nerudite

Cyburbian
Speaking of placenta...

When I was really young (like 8 or 9) I used to get polenta and placenta mixed up. My mom used to make a polenta cake that I would not touch due to the misunderstanding. I'm still not crazy for polenta...

kms

Cyburbian
My friend announced at a party how good Giardia chocolate is! I prefer Ghirardelli myself.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Everyone in Upstate New York knows that you don't eat dinner at the home of a Solvay resident.

Meeeeeoooowwwww ....

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Mayo is very nasty to me, unless it is in a chicken salad sandwhich and you can't taste the mayo. Otherwise, I love food! Aside from mayo, I haven't met any food that I dislike.

kms

Cyburbian
Mayo - yuck. I can't even make a sandwich for the kids if they want mayo. Problem is, they'll eat just mayo on bread. Gross.

Tranplanner said:

hee - I like that, where did you get it from?
Mike Meyers - So I Married An Axe Murderer. One of my favorite movies featuring Scots.

"We've got a piper down!!!"