• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

National Geography Awareness Week Nov. 17-21

The Irish One

What are you doing for Geography Awareness week? Yes there is such a thing!

Is anbody giving a talk? going to a lecture? open house at a local college? taking time to give affection to your neglected maps? getting drunk? cursing the day you ever met this subject -this damsel in distress? going out and bying that new Geochron -you've always known would help to control and plan the world, diabolical? What are you doing, if anything? Or are you getting drunk, again

http://geography.usgs.gov/features.html

In the DC area
http://www.fgdc.gov/gisday2003/

http://www.usgs.gov/features/geogweek.html

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/gaw/

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
People go nuts about Geo Awareness Week here at Texas State since we've been rated as the best or one of the best geography programs in the country by AAG for several years. Things are actually a little bigger than usual right now with Geo Awareness Week. There's a big push on our campus to include Physical Geography as a natural science core credit (why it wasn't before is beyond me). We've got the support of Student Government, the Greeks and the Faculty Senate, so we just need to get our petition of 5000 signatures done to ice the cake. Our department uses the mainly for outreach to draw more people into the majors and let people see what you can do with a Geography degree. Gamma Theta Upsilon is doing a guest speaker. For the first time, the Student Planning Organization is doing a display in the quad for urban & regional planning. This is only the second year for our SPO to be active after a few years of dormancy, so I'm pretty proud. We're hoping that our department will start emphasizing human geography more if we get more people into the urban planning major.

SPO is also starting a new series of social events that we hope will catch on. Basically, we go to the planning & zoning commission meeting for San Marcos and then go to a local pub to drink and discuss stuff likely not related to what we saw at the meeting. We've named to events "plan-n-pubs" :b: :b: Fun stuff! :b: :b:

Jeff

Cyburbian
What is this geography you speak of?

No, I'll be doing nothing. When I was in scholl there was always alot of cool discussion, lectures, etc. But not anymore :(

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Suburb Repairman said:
We're hoping that our department will start emphasizing human geography more

I love exploring human geography. ;)

My department holds an career day on Friday of Geography Week and invites back all of the department's alumni. Most years, I attend.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
We definately need a NGAW here... the general populace is soooo ignorant in our own geography...it's friggin amazing! I bet a lot of people in Santiago can't locate Valdivia in it's proper region....

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Hey Irish One who's getting drunk again? Me I'm on a 40oz step program to freedom.
Geography week, I'll probally take some more pictures of the industrial landscape around town, and maybe visit niagara falls (yes the dumpy american side) and accidently fall in wearing nothing but my swim fins, only to survive unharmed and be on Inside Edition the following night.
But now that you mention it, maybe I will try different beers from different geographical regions. There's my next project.
Man what a beautiful day, partly sunny with a high around 72 degrees. Life is great, maybe I'll leave early today.

steveanne

I'm not doing anything important. But I am definitely aware of it. Sometimes I am downright suspicious of it. Hey... You! Small pond! Get back where you were. Don't think I don't know what you are up to.

Either way, I haven't seen any Geography Awareness Week cards in my local Hallmark store. Don't think I won't be getting to the bottom of that!!!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
I'll be printing aerial photographs of my son's school vicinity for a "seek and find" game (first graders). Should be fun.

OT: Is somebody dredging old polls?

Hopefully in celebration of Geography Week I will be pushing out this chunker of a baby.

Other than that - no, nothing really. Maybe I'll organize my map collection.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Anybody want to go into business with me selling National Geography Week greeting cards?

I've been staring at this map for hours, thinking of how far apart we are. Like streams that lead to rivers which lead to the sea may our paths in life bring us together. Like birds migrating in flight over mountains and praries, we will meet again. Like angels brushing the hair of puppies you are a source of inspiration to me . . . now and always.

Wishing you were here on National Geography Week.

Yes, people are that gullible.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
SkeLeton said:
We definately need a NGAW here... the general populace is soooo ignorant in our own geography...it's friggin amazing! I bet a lot of people in Santiago can't locate Valdivia in it's proper region....

Skel: If it makes you feel better, we HAVE a NGAW in the U.S. and people still don't know their geography! :) My Mom never had geography in high school and my fiancee can't read a map to save her life! I think their were some stats a while back for how poorly Americans knew their geography.

I can't believe that people in such a geographically diverse and beautiful country like Chile don't know their basic geography.

thewholething

At SUNY New Paltz we celebrated Geo Awareness by having a "Geography Improv." Students were asked to print out different types of restaurant menus. On the day of the Improv, the professors were given 2 minutes to discuss "deep geographical thoughts and ideas" from the menus. If they couldn't come up with anything, lying was acceptable. The conversation ranged from ducks, to monkey brains, to cacao, bolivia, and the origin of pineapples!

it was absolutely hysterical! Next year students will be put on the spot...can't wait ;)

-NP-F