• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

NCAA or City Appreciation Dinner?

Would you stay home and watch the Sweet 16 or go to a City appreciation dinner?

• Skip the boring dinner and support the home teams!

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Go to the boring dinner, basketball isn't that important

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A different solution, which I will explain below

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I have a big dilema this Thursday night. Two Wisconsin teams, the Wisconsin Badgers and the Marquette Warriors, are in the Sweet 16 and play Thursday night. However, I have a City appreciation dinner on Thursday night and I am guaranteed to miss the entire Badger game and the start of the Marquette game. I am considering skipping the dinner. What would you do?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Can't stand appreciation dinners. Yawn ...

Then again, I can't stand basketball. Brackets? Yawn ...

I'd go to Borders myself.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
go spend "quality time" with the wife if you get my drift

it will pay off much more than any game

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I do not have a wife. My girlfriend is a big time Badger fan and she isn't too happy about missing the game to go to my crappy City dinner.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Skip them!

You spend 40+ hours a week with those bores! Get out and have some fun. You see those folks every weekday, how often do you see two of our home town teams in the 16?

donk

Cyburbian
Check to see if there is a bar at the place the dinner is being held, I bet that if there is, most people will be there watching the TV.

This happened at our dinner 2-3 years ago when the Leafs were on TV.

The other question one has to ask - Is it an open bar?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
donk said:
The other question one has to ask - Is it an open bar?
Haaaaahaaahaaa haaah haaaaaaa *rolling on the floor laughing*

I wish! You don't even get 1 free drink..

donk

Cyburbian
I know that was a silly thing to ask after I posted it, but it is always a consideration.

The last one I went to was open bar for about an hour before dinner then really cheap drinks after dinner.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Get the free dinner. Leave early to watch the second half. After all, it is the Badgers last game of the season. Then in the next round you can watch Marquette lose to KY as well.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Unless you're receiving the citizen or employee of the year award....WATCH THE GAME!! :p

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Can't stand appreciation dinners. Yawn ...

Then again, I can't stand basketball. Brackets? Yawn ...

I'd go to Borders myself.
You are planner. Nobody appreciates anything you do. Join me and Dan at Borders.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I always skip the appreciation dinners... a big yawner in my book.

But I don't like basketball either.

appreciation dinner? i have no clue what this is. but i still say skip it. the only off the clock stuff we ever have is Party fundraisers, which actually are a lot of fun. they have a big cocktail party in march, and a picnic in september. both with free drinks. just be sure to buy your ticket with a check, not cash, so they've got your name down that you're a supporter. :)