• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

need examples of shared roadways/woonerf in U.S./help with ADA

jswitzky

I am a planner in San Francisco working on some street design issues, specifically woonerf or shared street concepts in San Francisco. However, we're unexpectedly running into major design opposition from one of the city's ADA watchdogs who is wholly opposed to single-grade (i.e. no curb) shared environments for pedestrians and autos, even if auto access is severely restricted and for only the occassional commercial delivery. Essentially, he is insisting on curbs, and if no curbs, then would require that unsightly yellow tactile rubber strip of "truncated domes" delineating the official "sidewalk" from the "roadway" to warn the blind of the presence of a "roadway." He seems to be resistant to the notion of a shared space. I am looking for any and all examples of shared roadways/woonerf around the United States, (California would be great) and any experience or advice you could share about overcoming this ADA obstacle. Thank you.

joshua.switzky@sfgov.org

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hmmm...would the roadway be physically "closed" to vehicles except during deliveries, etc.?

I can only think of one example, here in Toronto. And it wasn't "planned" - it just happened. I'm not sure whether it is even officially designated as a public laneway. The laneway provides commercial vehicle access for the square in front of City Hall, and for the Provincial Courts...but it is primarily used as a pedestrian route. There are speed bumps (with a missing middle section for bikes, wheelchairs, etc.) and signs. But it is not designated as a "shared" space as far as I know.