• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Need help from a chattie group

FLPlanner

Hello All:
Cyberbia has such wonderful "chatters" in it's forums, that I'd like to spread some of the chatting to a planning site that I currently maintain.

I recently added a message board to the page and although we get between 30-70 visitors a day, it has been very hard to start any type of discussion threads.

This is where I need all of the Cyburbanite's help. Because this group asks some of the best questions, starts some of the most interesting topics and tells some of the best planning stories, I'm asking....err....begging (any idea how hard typing is on my knees) for anyone to help me out by going to http://www.fpza.org, signing up for the message board and starting some wonderful discussions. As Dan can probably tell you (or maybe not), the hardest part about getting a forum going is getting it started.

Thanks for the help!

MTroyS
Florida Planning & Zoning Assoc.

P.S. The discussion service is through World Crossing, who doesn't sell your information (email address & name is all it really asks). I have never received spam from them or affiliates.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Sounds like a mission for later in the day.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!

Repo Man

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
Oh mtroy. beware of what you wish for......
Yeah....you should see what happened when we started to post on the Houston Zoning forum.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Some thoughts ...

1) At least you've got only one board. The Houston subchapter of the APA has about 20 subforums; there's hardly enough traffic on their site to support one discussion area, let alone 20.

2) You may have to start some topics yourself, and not depend on others to start. Some ideas ... the possible elimination of the state DCA, living with Florida's new pro-billboard legislation, certain types of zoning issues that are encountered in certain types of areas (i.e. that one small city near where I used to work with a commercial base almost entirely dominated by vehicle sales and service-related used), and so on.

3) Instead of an ad-supported baord, how about trying to install a board of your own. You've got your own domain, which implies a Web host that might have some enhanced services; check your domain's control panel, and see if there's a bulletin board option. If not, there's many free bulletin board packages that are quite decent vBulletin clones; phpBB comes to mind. The current board seems a bit awkward to use; it's not clear that guests can read messages, there's the "entry door" which adds another step in surfing, and you have to register through a non-FPZA entity; do prospective posters fear getting spammed?

FLPlanner

Thanks for the tips Dan:

I did start a few topics and will start more. Unfortunately, due to our server and our budget, we are unable to start our own message board; therefore I thought this might be the easiest thing.

Hopefully, as time goes on more people will use it. We'll see.

Thanks again!

-MTroyS