• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Need simple quick way to estimate modal splits

taxpayer

In a particular place we have a problem whereby transit service is delayed for unpredictable periods. I want to make a guess as to the effect on ridership if the delays could be reduced. What I'm looking for is a simple modal split model, that wouldn't require too many other assumptions. I recall once upon a time having seen such things in some TRB publication, but I haven't been able to find it. Any suggestions?

--Chuck Metalitz
Transit Riders' Authority

Take a look at elasticity models to estimate changes in ridership when one variable changes. You need to be careful in selecting the source of the elasticity factors but it is a very quick way of getting an estimate of changes in transit use when service characteristics change. The source that I turned to was the Canadian Transit Handbook, 2nd Edition. It was published in 1985 and may have been updated since then.