• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Neighborhoods Neighborhood stabilization and redevelopment

bureaucrat#3

Our local election runoffs are about a month away. I think one of the topics that will be on the forefront afterwards in really ramping up efforts to improve and stabilize some of our older and poorer neighborhoods. Most of my previous experiences have been in affluent communities and community development is definitely one of my weak spots. I'm trying to find good primers/reading on best practices or even better, successful programs that we can model.

We have resources to work with and have been slowly improving infrastructure and parks in these areas, demolishing extremely substandard housing, and trying to work with owner-occupied substandard housing to bring it up to code. Gentrification is a rising issue in a few areas where we've made some improvements. A lot of the housing is rough and good deal of it rental with less than stellar landlords.

Background - Blue collar community of 30,000 with roughly 50/40/7 white/African-American/Hispanic mix.