• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

NEPA documentation question

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
I am currently working on a project in NY that requires NEPA compliance. The project will occur on a property in a city but on land owned by the County Agricultural Society. We are working with a Federal partner and they have asked for documentation of NEPA compliance. The project will be funded by federal sources. The project meets the requirements for at Categorical Exclusion.

What agency should provide the NEPA documentation? Who should write the letter and sign? The County? The City? The State DEC?

When I worked for a city the city did their own environmental reviews and provided documentation for NEPA.

DVD

Cyburbian
I would say anyone can provide something to explain the categorical exclusion. Then the feds can agree or not. When in doubt, I go for the highest agency on the chain so in this case it sounds like state.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
If the project is in the city I would think they would be responsible entity and have to provide documentation to substaniate the categorical exclusion.

CubbieBlue

Cyburbian
I am currently working on a project in NY that requires NEPA compliance. The project will occur on a property in a city but on land owned by the County Agricultural Society. We are working with a Federal partner and they have asked for documentation of NEPA compliance. The project will be funded by federal sources. The project meets the requirements for at Categorical Exclusion.

What agency should provide the NEPA documentation? Who should write the letter and sign? The County? The City? The State DEC?

When I worked for a city the city did their own environmental reviews and provided documentation for NEPA.
The project sponsor should submit the request.