• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Environment Net zero neighborhood

darnoldy

Cyburbian
I recently saw an episode of This Old House, with a segment called, Net Zero Neighborhood where the developer was putting in geothermal connections and fiberoptic cable as part of the infrastructure. These things are very expensive to add on a property-by-property basis after the development has been built--much more cost-efficient to do at scale.

Municipalities already require developers to put in some infrastructure as part of the permitting process: sewer, water, electrical, natural gas, roads... .

Should they start requiring some eco-friendly infrastructure to be installed?

--don

DVD

Cyburbian
I always feel conflicted on the argument of should we or shouldn't we. Yes, we should start leading on saving the environment and better practices, and whatever else. Then again, the only reason we have to require things is that cheap developers won't take the lead themselves. Maybe the development community can take the lead once in a while and maybe stop using the excuse that this is what the market wants. Maybe the market doesn't know this stuff is available. So we end up having to force the issue which becomes a political nightmare because everyone knows development will absolutely end if you require one more thing. Sorry, I'm ranting. In the end, maybe we don't require it, but if we could put in some kind of incentive that would be great. I really think we need to cut development to a minimum allowed by right that way incentives are effective. Give the developer a list of things we want and give them more density for doing it. It works if you don't have the density to do thing by right.

Reimagine RLB

Always a fan of "Make it easier to do the right things". That will include municipal staff learning-up about what these new type of infrastructure are, benefits vs liabilities (incl. costs of maintenance), and figuring out how to support their inclusion without appearing to necessarily endorse one commercial/brand standard over the other(s).

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
We are incentivizing it where I am. However, while the developers are generally pretty willing, it's their banks who are very conservative about loaning them the $ to do it. Onsite energy production and storage now get you to the "front of the line" in a system we have that limits new unit creation via the subdivision process.