• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Networks of Power

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
Im new to this Cyburbia thing, however, I have noticed that there is a fair spread of planning related subject areas.

One subject area I have not seen is that of utility infrastructure planning.

Is there anyone engaged in this field?

I am one of the very select few undertaking this type of planning (networked infrastructure) in Australia. I only know of one other - town planner at least. The field of power transmission and distribution seems overrun with engineers.

I would like to gather some information/advice on the concept of "prudent avoidence" in relation to high voltage powerlines and any policy direction in regards to Electro-Magnetic Fields (EMF).

Any help???

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
It has been a few years since I bumped into her, but Idaho Power in Boise did have a planner working on right-of-way, hazard, and other issues. Can't recall her name, but you might try Idaho Power's web site and see what you come up with.

donk

Cyburbian
Try energy probe they might have info on EMF and other issues. They are primarily an anti nuke group, that likes to comment on everything power realted.

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
Lee Nellis said:
It has been a few years since I bumped into her, but Idaho Power in Boise did have a planner working on right-of-way, hazard, and other issues. Can't recall her name, but you might try Idaho Power's web site and see what you come up with.
Thankyou, I will give it a go.

DA Monkey

Cyburbian
donk said:
Try energy probe they might have info on EMF and other issues. They are primarily an anti nuke group, that likes to comment on everything power realted.
Tah mate.

I have tried to avoid issue groups in my past research on this stuff, however, I havent had much success with the planning or legislative interests so far

I will give this one a go, it sounds interesting.