• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Certification New AICP application process

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Hey everyone! I have a couple planners in my office that want to apply to take the AICP exam in the fall. I was just pulling together some info to send them, but it looks like the process has changed a little bit since I took it 7 years ago! Does not everyone have to submit essays outlining their experience anymore? You apply first, and then submit the essays later? Anyone want to help break down the process for me?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Hey everyone! I have a couple planners in my office that want to apply to take the AICP exam in the fall. I was just pulling together some info to send them, but it looks like the process has changed a little bit since I took it 7 years ago! Does not everyone have to submit essays outlining their experience anymore? You apply first, and then submit the essays later? Anyone want to help break down the process for me?
I'm not going to be able to help as I took and passed mine 9 years ago.

Maybe Suburb Repairman can give more guidance as he's in the leadership of his State's APA Chapter.

glutton

Cyburbian
Hi @gtpeach! To my knowledge, the only thing that has changed is the introduction of the AICP Candidate program for students and recent grads. They take the exam first while all the academic stuff is still fresh in their heads, apply, and then get their AICP once they fulfill their two years of experience. This, however, really only applies to current and very recently graduated students. Everyone else still has to go through the regular process of essays, work verification letters, education verification, etc.

gtpeach

Cyburbian
Hi @gtpeach! To my knowledge, the only thing that has changed is the introduction of the AICP Candidate program for students and recent grads. They take the exam first while all the academic stuff is still fresh in their heads, apply, and then get their AICP once they fulfill their two years of experience. This, however, really only applies to current and very recently graduated students. Everyone else still has to go through the regular process of essays, work verification letters, education verification, etc.

Thanks! It looks like they may have just changed the way the process is communicated online then. It just looked like they had divided the application up into an additional step (essay submission was listed separately). I'll just let them figure it out, I guess. :)

MD Planner

Cyburbian
I have nothing of substance to add except that you whippersnappers have it easy! When I took it we had to FAX in about 40 pages of application stuff. Ridiculous!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Sorry can't help, it has been 22 years ago. - 3 more years to go to become a Life Member.

Planit

Cyburbian
Sorry can't help, it has been 22 years ago. - 3 more years to go to become a Life Member.

It's been 28 years for me and we had to use snail mail to send our applications in, probably certified too (but I don't remember, damn what was I talking about?).