• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

New avatar theme week - FLAGS

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
PlannerGirl is once again on the cutting edge. Post your flag themed avatar through February 8th, 2003.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I guess some already started....
well why the heck won't I do it...
Everybody does it, why can't I? ;)

By the time I figure out how to create a flag, the week will be over.

900th post.....just 100 more to go.........

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I dunno ... I'd be so tempted to use one of these.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I thought Mike would have chose...

I still haven't found a good flag for me yet (but then, I haven't been looking too hard).

nerudite

Cyburbian
Thanks! I may just end up using it... too bad you can't see the playboy bunny in there...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Hmmmm ... who wants to fly the Property Rights flag?

Habanero

Cyburbian
nah.. but I may fly the "come and take it flag".. growing up I always thought it was the sexual flag. I dunno... :)

Runner

Cyburbian
For some reason I am no longer able to upload a custom avatar of the normal size??? My little BC Transit avatar comes in at 6720 bytes and I am now limited to 3000 bytes for new avatars. Guess I'll be sticking with the BC Transit...

The avatar below comes in at 12720 bytes, I would not be able to upload it:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
nerudite said:

The Cheektowaga town flag? :D

Better than flying this, I guess.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
nerudite said:
Thanks! I may just end up using it... too bad you can't see the playboy bunny in there...
What about just the field?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Runner said:
The avatar below comes in at 12720 bytes, I would not be able to upload it:
The image is 1201 bytes over here. Strange.

Here's a cleaned-up GIF. Adobe Photoshop 6.0. 858 bytes.

Runner

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Here's a cleaned-up GIF. 858 bytes.
Spooky, down here on my dilapidated old Dell Pentium II 400 (NT 4.0) running Photo-Paint 8 the cleaned up image measures 4240 bytes.

But, the point is moot as now, all of a sudden, I can upload normal size avatars again... I'll find an appropriate flag later.

SGB said:
I beat KMateja to it!

(I think....)
Crap! hee. you can have it. maybe some nice enterprising photoshoppers would take pity on Planderella and myself and make us our own flags?

donk

Cyburbian
I made mine teh provincial flag, the funny thing is that there are erros due to artistic license in the flag.

How many can you find? Rumour has it here are 5. I only see 3.

Jeff

Cyburbian
nerudite said:

I still haven't found a good flag for me yet (but then, I haven't been looking too hard).
But making fun of France is so much fun!!!

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
KMateja said:

Crap! hee. you can have it. maybe some nice enterprising photoshoppers would take pity on Planderella and myself and make us our own flags?
Tell me what you want and I'll photoshop it. :)

Tim - can I have a flag from somewhere warm and tropical? I'm sorry, but it hasn't been above freezing here in over a month. suckage!

Thanks!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Here Kel - try this one...

U.S. Virgin Islands. I'll try not to make any smart-alec comments, but I can't speak for bturk, et al...

Sorry for the so-so quality.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Tranplanner said:
Here Kel - try this one...

U.S. Virgin Islands. I'll try not to make any smart-alec comments, but I can't speak for bturk, et al...
Thanks for the set-up Paul!

Well, they were the Deflowered Islands after Prudence was done.

HEYYYY--OOOOOOO!

son of a monkey. i can only save the flag as an .art file, or bmp, so i'll have to change this when i get to work. damn xp.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
son of a monkey. i can only save the flag as an .art file, or bmp, so i'll have to change this when i get to work. damn xp.
That is one of the most incredibly annoying (among several) problems with XP. Anyone know why they did that?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Michael Stumpf said:
That is one of the most incredibly annoying (among several) problems with XP. Anyone know why they did that?
1) If you're using IE, clean out your browser cache, and restart. Still, though, some random images will be saved in .bmp format by default. Why, I don't know ... MS probably claims it's a "feature."

2) Use Mozilla 1.2 (Win XP, Mac OS 10.2, Linux). It's really a better browser. I haven't switched yet, but when I use it (about 25% of the time), I like what I see; it's faster, more stable, and it has a built-in pop-up ad stopper that's far more effective than most other pop-up blocker programs I've seen.

Some advice when shrinking flags from FOTW - in your image editing program, convert them from "fixed color" or "256 color" to "RGB" or some setting involving 24-bit or 32-bit color. Shrink. The result will be far less pixellated. Save the image as a .gif .. 32 colors will do.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Mike Stumpf - I want your avatar on the mudflaps of my 1970 Ford F-250.

donk

Cyburbian
That damn lack of common sense gene, when it comes time to speaking, must have acted up again.

JNL

Cyburbian
This is an 'alternative' New Zealand flag - the Maori flag. It is a wee bit controversial as flying this flag may be seen as an indication of support for Maori sovereignty. The white part is a representation of a koru - an unfurling fern frond. It could also be seen as a stylised wave, as the sea is such an important part of our culture (no part of NZ is more than a couple of hours drive from the sea).

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
JNL said:
This is an 'alternative' New Zealand flag - the Maori flag. It is a wee bit controversial as flying this flag may be seen as an indication of support for Maori sovereignty.
I like the design.

Seen some of the designs for a new Australian flag?