• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

New Design of Autozones

Our jurisdiction is currently evaluating a final site plan for the construction of an Autozone. I am looking for examples of deviations, whether influenced by design codes or motivated by corporate decisions, from the prototypical design of the whitish cinder block automobile accessory store. Examples and evidence would be used in front of the Planning Commission to encourage the developer to construct with a more fitting building material within our community.

Could anyone provide me with an example or picture of a red brick Autozone for a Staff report? I would also appreciate any direction to other websites, people or planning departments.

Thank you

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Olathe, Kansas; taken today. There are larger images in the Gallery. PM me if you want the case file.

BTW, the banner is illegal. :p

1autozone_1-med.jpg

1autozone_2-med.jpg

1autozone_3-med.jpg

1autozone_4-med.jpg

1autozone_5-med.jpg

That's much better looking than the one that's currently in my neighborhood. Just curious, do you guys have any ordinances or city codes that prevent customers from working on their cars outside of the store? I see oil change, fluid fill-ups, etc. occur in the parking lots of those types of stores. It's very unattractive and then it changes the intensity of the use.

prudence

Cyburbian
When I worked for Greenfield, WI some 6 years ago one of the last projects I worked on was an AutoZone. It turned out quite well...a break from their traditional model.

Contact Chuck Erickson in the PLanning Dept. for copies of the plans or a current photo.