• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

*New* East St. Louis , STL skyline, and Cahokia Mounds Images

Xing500

Cyburbian

Cahokia Mounds

a chum of mine.

What Cahokia Mounds looked like many moons ago.

East St. Louis

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Interesting images Xing500 It appears that a coordinated effort is underway to build new housing (HOPE VI??). What is the story, if you know.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nice view of the Eads Bridge!

I'd like to see more ESL. It's good to see some positive things going on there after so many years of neglect and mismanagement, but I'm wondering whether the change will "take." In your opinion, do you see ESL ever becoming a "Phoenix from the ashes," a desirable community and not a catchphrase for the worst in American urbanism?

Tomorrow's going to be a slow, quiet Easter. On top of the yardwork and cleaning, I should head over to East Cleveland, and grab some shots. Fascinating community, with a history that's not too different than ESL, only it never experienced the same decimation.

Xing500

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
Interesting images Xing500 It appears that a coordinated effort is underway to build new housing (HOPE VI??). What is the story, if you know.
It's a low income housing project called Parson's Place. A 2nd phase with apartments is expected to begin construction soon. A seperate project in the same neighborhood was recently approved.

This is what the 2nd project will look like.

A Chicago-based developer expects to complete the first portion of the 84-unit complex by mid 2005.

EAST ST. LOUIS - A new housing development will rise out of an empty field in the Emerson Park neighborhood of East St. Louis when Central City Apartments begins construction later this summer.
Upon completion, the project will consist of 84 apartments built as duplexes and triplexes. Development costs will total approximately $13.5 million.
The project will be developed by Chicago-based East Lake Management & Development Corp.

sewage

Hi,

I recently drove cross country and drove through ESL. I was wondering if someone can give me some background info on the city? I drove through that main street in the pictures and walked around a bit... it seemed like the downtown area is smaller than that of Poughkeepsie, NY (where I'm from). Was it much more substantial before or has it always been so small and people just went to StL for all their needs?

Thanks in advance.