• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 New from IL concerned citizen

hankjoe

Would like to get some advice in the future about how other towns are handling things like a construction business using their residence as their mailing address & their base of operations. They park their dump truck, end loader & trailer on the street in the residential area all the time - except when they've gone to a job site. There doesn't seem to be any parking ordinances against this. This is a mon man construction business with maybe one employee that comes to his house & then they go to the job site.

Thanks for the forum.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Welcome from Hurricane Land. Alot of cities here prohibit the parking of trucks over a certain tonnage in residential areas.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Also from FL: I have one of those around the corner from me, new residents. I just keep calling Code Enforcement, taking digital pics and emailing them. Actually, there are two. The guy with the semi cab just put his house up for sale, after being cited multiple times (pat on back).

Check with planning and zoning in your area and see how you can complain about a violation of zoning codes, including violation of home occupation ordinances.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from the state just east of ya.
I agree with ZG.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia!

I'm on vacation right now and have to rush really,so have to keep the message short.

Have a great time here! :-}

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome from central New York state. I too agree with ZG; call your zoning enforcement officer and see if and how the local code addresses such situations.

Last edited:

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Go with what ZG said. And welcome from the land of famous edible tubers. :b:

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Welcome and I will also agree with what ZG posted. Here in my little Indiana 'burg, we have similar issues to the one you've addressed and very little (or no) staff for enforcement, so it can take a while for enforcement folks to get out there and put a halt to it. Stay on 'em, but provide them as much information, with dates and times, as possible. Also, be willing to sign an affidavit of complaint.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
We prohibit large vehicles over a certain weight, with the exception of RVs, in residential districts. We do have a provision that allows for one-hour parking of large vehicles like dump trucks or Semi Trucks in a residential district, which allows people to come home for lunch or dinner with their large vehicle.

Budgie

Cyburbian
First off, welcome to the forum.

Second of all, THOSE BASTARDS !!!!

Honestly there are many on this site who have dealt with this type of aggregious violation of the single-family sanctity of the zoned residential area. First, determine if the use is a legal nonconforming use, legal use, or illegal use as set forth in the zoning regulations. If the use is illegal, pressure your elected officials to remedy the situation through aggressive enforcement. If the use is a legal nonconforming use, verify that the operation has followed the zoning ordinances nonconforming use provisions which typically limit expansion or intensification of the use. This may include expansions of structures housing the use or to outside activities, including the parking of vehicles.

Bottom line --- make the elected officials accountable. Attend a public hearing of the governing body (City Council, County Commission, Board of Alderman, etc.....) and say something about it during the "Public Comment" portion of the hearing. Elected officials absolutely love it when unexpected critical comments come from left field during the "Public Comment" part of the meeting. There's no better way to get action.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Sorry for posting back-to-back and going way off topic. It must be the Fosters (bitter and lager) and the vinyl Pink Floyd - Meddle spinning in my hovel, but I got an idea.

Why don't we have a Cyburbia Code Enforcement forum, where real world code enforcement grievances (such as hankjoe's) are described and we collective bombard elected officials and staff with "support e-mails" suggesting aggressive enforcement. A little cyber mischeif never hurt anyone (that I know anyways).

I know what you're thinking EG, but I don't mean corporal punishment.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Welcome, hankjoe, from a couple hours east of you. The advice already given is dead on. I know your town, and I know that the planning staff there is very professional. Your first planning director, who left for a year and just came back, has done an admirable job in making planning a priority in Quincy. Give him a call, talk to your alderperson, and talk to your mayor, for whom I have a lot of respect. My brief exposure to Quincy (I was offered the planning director job there but had to turn it down because of insurance costs) showed me that people there are very concerned about making their town the best it can be. They have had great success, in my opinion. Best of luck to you, and don't leave the forum when your planning issue is settled; I'm sure that we can benefit from your insight.

boiker

Cyburbian
Welcome from Peoria, IL.
I haven't had a chance to visit quincy yet, but I mean to. I hear their historic preservation areas are top shelf.