• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 New from NY

Fijo29

Hey everyone, it’s a pleasure to join you. I’ve been reading the discussion boards for awhile and finally decided to jump in…

About me:

I live in New York City. Well, technically in Queens. In a really gross high-rise development at the intersection of two expressways. Can’t wait to move.

I’m originally from a smallish (now sprawlish) town outside Orlando, FL. Yes, I went to Disney a lot. And yes, I did work there at one point. Retail. Very bad. Watching the destruction of the beautiful rural Florida landscape resulting from uncontrolled subdivision/strip mall development is actually what pushed me into the planning profession…

I just finished my master’s degree in urban planning. My BA was in urban design. I’ve been working as a ped/bike transportation planner in NYC government for about 2 years. (I don’t really bike, though – I’m afraid of being hit by a taxi.)

My job is good for now, but ideally I’d like to eventually work on my own. If anyone has any advice about the path I should follow to work as an independent planner/consultant, it would be greatly appreciated. I’m assuming I should at some point get some experience in the private sector… I’d also like to teach some day. I’ve realized over the last few years that I really like talking about planning (as most of you must, or you wouldn’t be on this forum…) I’ve started looking into PhD programs, but I don’t plan on going back to school any time soon.

I’m getting a little tired of NYC (after 7 years) and thinking about moving, so I’ve found some interesting tidbits on the “Cities and Places” board. I’ll probably post there asking for suggestions on great places to live…

I guess that’s about it. Let the stimulating conversation begin!

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome from the nether reaches of south central upstate NY. [As in north of Albany. ;)]

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from North of the Ohio and East of the Wabash Rivers.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings from the rolling hills of southern Indiana. I grew up over in jersey and I miss the city, although I doubt I'll be visiting it anytime soon....job, wife, kids, ya know.

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Welcome and greetings. Congrats on recently obtaining your masters degree.

I started in the public sector and I have since transitioned into the private sector. IMO, it's beneficial to acquire experience in both the public and private planning sectors.

I was wondering when we were going to get a NYC planner here! Welcome - from your neighbor to the north (Albany).

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome.

Advice for the pathway to private, solo practice - network.

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Welcome to Cyburbia Fijo.

If anyone has any advice about the path I should follow to work as an independent planner/consultant, it would be greatly appreciated
Well Fijo all I can say is that its a tough but interesting path( if you can take the ups and downs and keep learning). And you know what... you can get lucky too.
:)
My Advice to you is:
-Try Hard
-Be Good

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Welcome from another Floridian in a Yankee state, as well as a former bike/ped/trail person. ;)

Your reason for going into planning was my exact same reason too. My hometown in Florida has really become sprawl land too. It is even more heartbreaking working for local jurisdictions who want more tax base and don't care about becoming an ugly sprawling area.

Enough rambling, have fun posting.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Welcome from Trail Nazi's former co-worker, still laboring in the land of sprawl north of Orlando. Now I'm the bike/ped person here. :)

Good luck in NYC.