• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 New Guy Here

RedsFan

BANNED
Greetings! :B I’ve been here with you as a lurker for about a year I guess. I enjoy many of the posts when I get chance to visit- especially from El Guapo, DeVouno, Bturk, Dan, Kmateja, Nhplanner, PlannerGirl and many others- I don’t want to leave anyone out! Even AniPlannerMovement had me LOL a few times!

Right now I’m into current planning (ie code enforcement hell) and some long range stuff. I’m looking for a career transition in which I will be able to utilize my planning skills. Which brings me to my question:

I want to know more about the “dark side.” I am considering making a jump to the private sector real estate development realm of planning. I’ve read some of your tales regarding developers and I think some of you previously worked for the “dark side,” and are glad you are out of it. I don’t want to regret my decision if I do jump. I gather that DeVouno works for an engineering firm of some sort and there may be a planning consultant on here too. What are your perspectives? I guess I’m asking if there are any “good guy” developers.

The main reason for me considering this is definitely salary related, and I’m not interested in cross-country moves chasing planning jobs- not that there’s anything wrong with that. If I were single I would love to work in different cites throughout my career. Thanks for listening.

Redsfan - Glad you've decided to join in the merriment! Welcome to the crew. As for working for the dark side - while I wouldn't do it again, it was definitely a nice change of pace - it also gives you a lot of perspective about what happens on both sides of the planning board podium. Good luck!

kelly

el Guapo

Capitalist
Welcome to the light side?? I have lot of respect for the good ones on the darkside. A private planner with their stuff together and well-consider project is a thing of beauty to behold. But a cry-baby realtor hack giving me the "I pay your wages" routine is a waste of space. Anyway welcome. What are your thoughts on Pete Rose?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Welcome Redsfan

Despite our occasional rants on the website, there are good developers out there. And a lot of them actually. I have never worked for the "dark side"... but I do have co-workers and friends that left municipalities to work in the private sector. A few really enjoyed working for the dark side, but most of them returned to public agencies after they understood that the grass isn't always greener. This was in California though, where private firms hire planners and you have to put in your dues writing Environmental Impact Statements all day long.

Good luck with the career search. :)

RedsFan

BANNED
El Guapo said:
Welcome to the light side?? I have lot of respect for the good ones on the darkside. A private planner with their stuff together and well-consider project is a thing of beauty to behold. But a cry-baby realtor hack giving me the "I pay your wages" routine is a waste of space. Anyway welcome. What are your thoughts on Pete Rose?
Whoops sorry about. New guy already fouling up the reply protocol.

About Pete Rose:

I was in the Stadium on 9/11/85 (yes 9/11) when he hit #4192 and it was a day I'll never forget. No doubt he has the numbers to get into the hall.

But, perhaps on that very same day, he bet on his own team. That is what bothers me the most. If he admits that he broke the MLB gambling rule and says he's sorry, then I believe he should be let in the hall of fame.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Welcome on board. My problem with the dar side was that it was not challenging. New thinking was discouraged in favor of doing things the way they always had been done. Add to that the problem of advocating on behalf of something you do not agree with, and it can be morally difficult. (In my case the company I was working for was responsible for tearing down a great historic building in my own home town. I left shortly after.)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Welcome Redsfan. I too went to the dark side. It has many rewards, but it also has its down sides. Long hours was probably the worst part, but the pay was awesome.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Welcome RedsFan....you seem to have a lot in common with someone that used to visit these parts.....

mugbub1 said:
Well I've been in this lousy profession for about 10 years. Got my start clacking away at GIS maps back in the day- killed time by pursuing my fetish on the web ll day (hint: it's in my name).

Then got into "current planning" as you lifers call it. Hate that shit worse than GIS. God, why does planning suck so damn bad? Had a stint with a pathetic private sector firm with a couple dinosaurs running it. I had high expectations, but the workers were just as dumb as lazy as they were at the gvt. The business tanked when the boss had a nervous breakdown and retired.

Back to current planning in a dying city where white flight is rampant. Now their busting my balls about a residency requirement- looks I'll be grandfathered so I won't have to move to the 'hood. This place is on par with Buffalo.

What a terrible career choice. All you students should get the hell away from planning before you're trapped. You won't make any money. News Flash, $40k to $50k ain't alot of money no matter where you live. Don't let these people here tell you different. With a masters you should be making over US$60k a year. My job in life is to keep students from making the same mistake I did. No money in planning- just inaction and boated gvt. Thanks.
Let me come right out and ask you RedsFan....are you Mugbub?

Edit: I apologize if this came across as being harsh, the mods just want to make sure that sockpuppeting is not taking place here.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
I started on the public side, then to a commercial developer, now at firm that represents developers--helping them get through the local process mostly.

I love it. Its challenging, fast paced, results oriented, pay is great, contacts/networking better than the public side.

I enjoyed my time in the public realm and am grateful it gave me an exceptional planning knowledge base.

Am I a better planner than those on the public side? Maybe yes, may be no. But I am a hell of a lot happier here than there.

Who knows completely why?
Happy to accept a PM from you to discuss further.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
Welcome RedsFan....you seem to have a lot in common with someone that used to visit these parts.....

Let me come right out and ask you RedsFan....are you Mugbub?
C'mon NHP. RedsFan gave us a warm 'hello" and hasn't insulted a single person on the boards. He's contributed a couple good posts already without giving any indication that he isn't taking his meds. No, RedsFan isn't Muggie. Though there is no doubt his spirit still haunts the dark, dusty corners of Cyburbia, I think our old friend is gone for good.

Welcome, RedsFan.

jmf

Cyburbian
Welcome,

I have spent most of my career in the public sector but I did a stint (about a year) with a telecommunications company. I was responsible for researching zoning and building permit requirements in proposed tower sites. I won't say I loved the job, I felt quite guilty since many places didn't have any restrictions/requirements. BUT, I learned a lot. It was a completely different working environment.

I wouldn't give up the experience I got working on the 'dark side' but I won't go back, at least to that aspect. I would definitely still consider working for a private planning or engineering firm but I really enjoying working with the public.

buffy

Welcome Redsfan,

watch out for those super mods, they're telegenic i think!

didcha know you're name spelled backwards rhymes with napster?

biscuit

Cyburbian
As a fellow newbie I welcome you to the boards.

I worked for the dark-side in my first couple of jobs out of college I'm now working with a large city government, and I don't think I'll ever consider going back. I encountered more ego stroking, ethical questioning, temper tantrums, bad management and unscrupulous behaviour while on the dark-side than it was worth. EWWWWWWWW...Just thinking about it makes me feel like I need a shower.

RedsFan

BANNED
Thanks for the welcomes and advice. Just to clarify a couple things: I'm not mugbub (not sure what thats about) and Pete Rose belongs Cincy- not Philly. :)

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
RedsFan said:
Thanks for the welcomes and advice. Just to clarify a couple things: I'm not mugbub (not sure what thats about) and Pete Rose belongs Cincy- not Philly. :)
My apologies if I offended you with my post, just trying to ensure that civility will remain here in our little corner of the 'net, and trying to avoid a sockpuppeting problem.

Again, welcome RedsFan, and I hope that you enjoy Cyburbia as much as the rest of us.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard RedsFan. My friends and I take annual trips to different baseball stadiums and the new Reds park is on our agenda for this fall.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I actually work with many planners/developers/land use attorneys who are ethical, responsive, and purely nice. On the other hand, most of the ones who started in the public sector, then went to the dark side, come back like the pod people ( he looks like "x", but he's not...)