• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 New Member

jsk1983

Cyburbian
After reading quite a few of the posts over the last week I have finally decided to join. I stumbled across this site after looking for Virtual Cheektowaga which is of sadly no more. I looked through here and saw that my hometown seemed to be mentioned quite a bit, especially by Dan. Looking through the galleries I even saw a picture of my own street.
I am from Buffalo, NY (actually Williamsville, a village in Amherst) and am currently a second year student at SUNY Binghamton. I am majoring in history but have aspirations of getting my masters in urban planning. I should be able to graduate by next year so thus I need to start looking at graduate schools. I may end up going to Uuniversity of Buffalo, although I would ideally like to live in another part of the country for a while and expierence a region other than upstate New York. I have not formally started looking but I am interested in schools in the state of Oregon.
Looking through the job listings I noticed that they all seem to require some sort of expierence. What I would like to know is if it hard to find a position in the planning field.
Thats all for now.
-JSK1983

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome from downunder jsk1983. You will no doubt be warmly embraced by OFL* due to your common background (Buffalo).

*Our Fearless Leader

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome from SW Indiana.

thougths on grad school - instate tuition or "Go West Young Man".
job experience - discussed before - get started with a internhip / workstudy.

SGB

Cyburbian
Greetings from 40 miles north of you. :-D

Get thee to the Career Development Center on campus, pronto. They regularly place SUNY Binghamton interns in public sector planning agencies in the region.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from "the City in a Garden".

I was a history undergrad as well, and the transition to a master's in Planning was easy.

Go with in-state tuition as JNA said, but maybe try another part of NYS. It is pretty big as you know.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Welcome from the warm, sunny beaches of buffalo :b: Stay with in-state schools due to the tuition untill your really sure what you want to do. I know a lot of students from my school go there for there masters after getting their bachelors and they say the programs all right.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Welcome. My bro was a professor at SUNY in Oswego. Dare I go into the reputation of Oswego? It's similar to the reputation of Gonzaga. Is the work at the Buffalo Airport done yet?

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Welcome. The in-state tuition advice is probably good, but remember that a lot of grad programs offer in-state tuition to out-of-state students as part of the graduate assistantship or financial aid package. So, the whole country is wide open. BTW, there are some awfully good graduate planning programs here in flyover country.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Williamsville, huh?

Let me make you feel at home.

:D from a former resident of 14221-land

jsk1983

Cyburbian
I recognize some of those images as being of the new Renaissance development. The rest of the pictures I didn't recognize but they could very well be in 14221, although the line up of BMW's seemed like it must be from somewhere else because the Motel 6, as far as I know is not next to a car dealership. I actually live in the village of Williamsville around Sheridan/Evans. I did see your pictures of the village and the one with the police car was taken on my street. My block was built in the mid 1950's and all 20 or so houses were built with just about the exact same design, this design was also utilzed for a block on Evans. It seems to me that alot of the village was not planned development, rather people just bought lots over a relatively long period of time and built whatever they felt on it. Houses on my mile long street range in value from around $50k to the mid 200's. I find this to be in sharp contrast to todays development where houses seem to be all valued in the same range. Anyways, I just wanted to defend 14221 because it is not all McMansions and Beemers.